Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jake250

Boss music

I'm looking for boss musics... quite simply.

I had a wad in the work for an eternity, and well, even if its not amazing, the problem with it is that I am using MP3 from a the game Megaman X8 as boss music... yeah, well I started that project when I was only 16 and that was 3 years ago.

So yeah, they don't really fit anyway, and everyone seems to hate MP3 in wads, and I probably can't even distribute it with them.

Sorry, to the point: I need boss musics that would pretty much fit any kind of "doom" fights. Ultimately I need 2 or 3 different ones. Anything that sounds epic and makes adrenaline pump faster would be awesome, but I can't find any midi files that does that...

Anyone got anything interesting?

everyone seems to hate MP3 in wads

Er? This is news to me, but I'm a newbie. I love MP3s.

Anyway. I don't know if this is in midi, but I've felt that Gradius V's boss theme (from the PS2) is the ultimate boss music.

IMO, pretty much the only time when MP3 or OGG music in a wad is worth the extreme filesize increase that goes along with it is if the music was created specifically for use with that wad. More often than not, it's just some random music from a new game or something thrown in with a map, and in addition to the bloat I'm reminded of certain GZDoom maps that attempt to rely almost entirely on a ripped Unreal skybox or something to look "good".

TerminusEst13 said:

Anyway. I don't know if this is in midi, but I've felt that Gradius V's boss theme (from the PS2) is the ultimate boss music.

I got that one, and its relatively nice. Not sure it fits with my fights, but I'll see. Its a good boss music all around, thanks.

DuckReconMajor said:

I like TRACK02 of IU-part4B.wad, though it's probably just a midi version of a track from some other game/wad like half the rest of the stuff in there. Anyone know if this is from something?

Not sure if its really fitting as a boss music, but I like it.

Thanks. Thats a good start. But it could be harder than I thought to find the right fitting midi :/

esselfortium said:

IMO, pretty much the only time when MP3 or OGG music in a wad is worth the extreme filesize increase that goes along with it is if the music was created specifically for use with that wad. More often than not, it's just some random music from a new game or something thrown in with a map, and in addition to the bloat I'm reminded of certain GZDoom maps that attempt to rely almost entirely on a ripped Unreal skybox or something to look "good".

Well, there's not much alternative if you want to make a realistic blue sky unless you do what I did and cannibalize a whole range of colors in the palette:

That color range used to be bright pink/magenta.

Yes, I do remember suggesting that. That has nothing to do with the point I made, though.

(You might want to change that gigantic image into a link, btw.)

Not a great pic of your sky Woolie, but cool screenshot nonetheless.

TerminusEst13 said:

Then you might want to read this.

Ichor said:

Then you might want to read this.

Moral of the story: Not to use copyrighted MP3s over five minutes long with 320kbps and then bitch about how it's absolutely perfect and people don't recognize your genius?
That's mighty specific. I think I can avoid that. :p

Technically all creative works including mp3s are copyrighted, some just care more than others. Rock bands tend to care intensely and express their concern through nasty letters from their lawyers.

That's still mighty specific.

Personally, I was planning on using 120kbps songs that last maybe 50 seconds or so before looping, like Claustrophobia did--from indie artists, after asking their permission, of course. Those don't jack up the file size too much, only about...80 kb per, and I've got numerous MIDIs larger than that.
But to each their own, I guess.

iu-part4b.was

I opened it on slumpedand I found two good boss musics named:
DOLLET
HELL
TRACK02

hey dude i'm using music from megaman x5,legends2 and work fine as level mus!or boss!try " forbidden dog" of mml2.

saifi said:

hey dude i'm using music from megaman x5,legends2 and work fine as level mus!or boss!try " forbidden dog" of mml2.

But surely you won't be able to distribute that, particularly on /idgames