Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Personally i think it would be a better idea to make original maps instead of altering existing ones. Perhaps you could make alternate versions of the single-player maps for instead, more aimed towards multiplayer. Just a suggestion.

You probably know the demo version with the extended level 1 map.
Can we have a similar demo release before we get the complete game? This might be even a way to get better feedback.

ill post screenies of map12 of dwango5, just to see if you guys like it, than ill post the 1 level demo of the dark forces tc.

The demo will only include..

Level 1 - Secret base
Kyle/item sounds from df and jk thanks to ceejay
models from dark forces Tc for jka thanks to enjay

Quickly tried out the demo. It's coming along pretty nicely. Like I said before, though, you should keep as much of the layout the same as you can. I want to see the levels resemble the originals as much as possible. :P

Also, the tall red torch in the first screenshot you posted does not fit well. I assume this will be changed once the DF sprites are in?

Theres a lot of images in this thread now. Maybe the older ones could be turned into links or compressed to reduce the ammount of scrolling needed and to make everything load faster?

Doom64Marine said:

These pics are my dwango5 map12 remake.

Heh, looks like Mr Heretic to me. A well known map from the demo.

But note that it's only Doom, with new textures.

Theres a lot of work to be done, weapons and enemies are top priority right now although. once i have those i hope it gives me a better feel for the way things are supposed to be in the game, without them it just feels like im slapping some dark forces make-up on doom and calling it a mod.

Ah Dark Forces. I was confused for a while because when I read Dark Forces I kept thinking it was Dark Arena

Now I know what I'm looking at.I can't say anything for the exactness of the maps because I never played it before but looks pretty good so far.

40oz said:

I can't say anything for the exactness of the maps because I never played it before

Then I suggest doing it now.
On the technical side, the original Dark Forces has a 2.5D engine similar to Doom, but with several significant differences.
Here are just the most interesting features it has:
- 3D models. They are only used for a few things, but the usual enemies are still sprites (for performance reasons, I guess). Models are also used for rendering 3D bridges.
- mission objectives. There aren't even exits as we have them in Doom. Once all objectives are fulfilled, you can advance to the next map any time, but you can still spend all the time you want on the current map to search for secrets and collect stuff. And you can still die.
- BSP-less internals allowing overlapping sectors like in RORDoom or Build engine games. (Which would be a tough challenge in this TC, I guess, since some maps make extensive use of this feature). Also due to the BSP-less nature, moving sectors is possible, just like in Build. (Which would be an even tougher challenge in this TC)
- Pre and post map cutscene videos. The framerate seems rather low, even at the time the game was new. The game was CD only, yet it is only 70 MB in size for some reason.
What it doesn't have (and thus makes this TC rather interesting):
- Multiplayer
- Highres. It is VGA 320x200 only.
- Savegames. Though stats are saved, which allows to play any map you reached so far.

Beta 2 is here.

will include...

* Models (moldy crow, tie fighter, deathstar monochrome)
* Enemies
* Bryar pistol (modified myself, shoots a little too fast, but is faithful)
* Music and sounds (from jk and dark forces for jka)
* Secret base alpha build (Pretty crappy replica, i have a much better one on the way)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?vzn2ufn4kwm

Instructions:
DO NOT unzip anything from the file, just run the whole thing or models wont show up.

Doom64Marine said:

* Secret base alpha build (Pretty crappy replica, i have a much better one on the way)

With extensive use of 3d floors? And polyobject doors?
And please, no teleporters. There is no such thing in the Star Wars universe. I can see the problem with the way under the lift, but there has to be a better solution than this.

Yes, as i said, its pretty crappy. the one im currently making does use alot of 3d floors, but its so blended in you'll never be able to tell unless you look X) and in addition, it keeps the original look and feel.

My first instinct when i even thought about teleporters in starwars was to cry. i WILL NOT put teleports in as a way to get around anymore, simply because they look like crap. btw what did you think of the bryar pistol and enemies X)

It just came to my mind, wouldn't the Build engine be a better choice for the next port of this TC then EDGE?
The level mechanics is probably the closest to the Jedi engine available, and we have model support in Build source ports, too.
I don't know how capable the scripting is in Build, though.