Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Where do I find Catacomb 3D or Fantasy?

Well, the id website store doesn't have it, neither does the Steam id super pack ( http://store.steampowered.com/sub/440/ , but Commander Keen IS there). Is there any other place or rather collection which has it?

I have the shareware (Abyss) and I found it interesting, like some RPG with puzzles. Its only bad thing was the very low FOV of the renderer (and the EGA-ish brightness, but I can take it).

I looked up wikipedia a bit and saw that it was developped by Softdisk (not 3D, but Fantasy, which starts from Abyss) not necessarily by id Software. And apparently the downloadstore.com link I get from the wikipedia article on Softdisk forbids my access...

Keep in mind I'm not asking for warez. I want to know legitimate ways to obtain such an old game, that competes with other games at being a FPS pioneer.

Catacomb 3D can be found on the Vintage disc of the id Anthology (along with Hovertank 3D, Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion, all six Keen games, and Catacomb!)

Fantasy i'm not so sure about. The only way for that is to somehow contact Softdisk directly as they usually shit these on the Big Blue Disks.

leileilol said:

they usually shit these on the Big Blue Disks.

Freudian slip?

@Danarchy
The Catacomb fantasy trilogy is actually three full and seperate games for $10 each.

@OP
Catacomb Abyss is Shareware.

Both Armageddon and Apocalypse were re-released under different names, back in 1994 I believe: Curse of the Catacombs and Terror of the Catacombs respectively.

Both of them can be found on Ebay, though they cost far more than $10 on there. However they are boxed copies rather than a download.

Honestly, i wouldn't bother with the Catacomb 3d games. Not really that good. Get Ultima Underworld if you want an early "FPS" with sorcery or whatever. It's actually pretty amazing for the time, IMO. If any early game in the world deserves a good modern port, it's that one.

I'm not insinuating anything here in this statement, but this is the Internet ;) ;)

I agree with Nomad. I tried to sit through Catacombs and found myself getting a little motion sickness. The novelty of those games wear off on my after the first couple of maps.

Vermil said:

@Danarchy
The Catacomb fantasy trilogy is actually three full and seperate games for $10 each.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I played through Abyss once and I recall it being fairly long, like 20-30 levels. Man, that was ages ago.

Vermil said:

@Danarchy

@OP
Catacomb Abyss is Shareware.

Both Armageddon and Apocalypse were re-released under different names, back in 1994 I believe: Curse of the Catacombs and Terror of the Catacombs respectively.

Both of them can be found on Ebay, though they cost far more than $10 on there. However they are boxed copies rather than a download.

Thank god I'm not insane. I got Curse of the Catacombs and Terror of the Catacombs in 94 or 95 and I've had a hell of a time figuring out where they fit into the series. The name change explains quite a bit. If memory serves me correctly, and the thing that threw me off, was that they were renamed and published by Froggman Entertainment. Still, I think they were fun games. I haven't played them for about 3 years, but they're still fun enough. Interesting enemies and decent level design. The destructable walls were really impressive, as well as the death animations and the skeletons with chainguns in their chests. It was the first FPS I played though, so rose colored glasses may come into play.

I think you can play all the Abyss levels through the shareware version, via the level skip cheat, but I might be thinking of an entirely different game.

Indeed, I've heard that rumour as well. Though, as far as I am aware, it isn't true (I've never found anything to back it up).

As far as I am aware, the Catacomb fantasy trilogy was released in the same way that say the Keen Vorticon trilogy was; the entire first part was given away for free as shareware with no restrictions.

I wish some devs would go back to the Shareware model. Would have been a really cool idea for the HL episodes or something.