Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Doom2 386

I've decided not to progress any further on my project to re-create Doom 2 levels within the 384 grid size limit (the idea I think first being conceived by Cyclod - http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15600)

I've completed the first 8 maps and am going to upload them to the archive but thought I would post the set here first in case anyone has any suggestions to make before I do. Download here: http://www.hellbent.iwarp.com/box_widget.html

Screenshots below:

MAP01 - Entreeway

MAP02 - Undersmalls

MAP03 - The Thimble

MAP04 - Limited Focus

MAP05 - Worm Tunnels

MAP06 - Compressor

MAP07 - Dead Sample

MAP08 - Mousetraps

Cool concept. These impassable lines in places that look like you should be able to get to were annoying on first play, though. Map08 was really great.

It is quite some piece of work, conveying the prominent features of the original maps within very tight constraints. I found the play to be both enjoyable and quite comical. It is very challenging to maneuver in those confined spaces while imps are tearing out your legs.

Well done.

I remember you posted this up ages ago. I loved it then and still do. It's like a tiny cute version of Doom 2 :P

Shame you're not continuing on, but thanks for releasing.

Pretty neat! I like it!

Only problems I noticed were, in Undersmalls if you try going down the staircase in the center room, you are too tall and get stuck (but going up seems to work?)

Also in The Thimble, you seem to be too tall to go up the steps if you're running.

But that's about all I noticed, bug wise! Could just be the port I'm using (GZDoom), but I couldn't be arsed to try in something else. :P

Gonna try that later, in the meantime why not upload it to the archives as well?

I'll check these out! Cycloid's 384 maps were fun.

Is the 386 on the thread title is a typo or is it telling us the levels, being small, will also let DOOM II run smoothly on a 386 MHz computer? :p

EDIT: I can't get the demo levels on either browser I use, though. The download site is using some weird Java Script shit that's failing.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Crashes Eternity.

After playing in ZDoom:

Damn if this wasn't fun. I loved MAP04 and MAP05 - those were original as hell if I've ever seen it. There were a few spots where I couldn't really tell I was playing inside a 384x384 space - such as MAP05.

This is a cool idea and the maps were pretty damn good to boot.

Only problems I noticed were, in Undersmalls if you try going down the staircase in the center room, you are too tall and get stuck (but going up seems to work?)

This has to do with Doom's code for moving the player around IIRC. Doom checks if he can move horizontally (X/Y) first, then checks for height (Z) afterwards.

myk said:

Is the 386 on the thread title is a typo or is it telling us the levels, being small, will also let DOOM II run smoothly on a 386 MHz computer? :p

I also found the title misleading, but I thought, it's meant to run smoothly on a 80386 CPU. Actually, Vanilla Doom 1 was meant to run on it. That's the type of machine for which the low detail setting and screen size was meant for.

I really would have wondered how the rest of the game would be like being confined to a 384 grid, especially maps like MAP15, MAP16, MAP19, MAP29 and so on. Same going with the level names...MAP12 being named The Workshop due to it's much smaller size, etc.

Nomad said:

I noticed that too, but figured he did it intentionally. It does not seem to affect play much, so no worries.

Fisk said:

Crashes Eternity.

I played all the way though on Eternity 3.35.92 'Nekhbet' without any crashes. What version of Eternity did you try? Can the crash be reproduced?

Guest DILDOMASTER666

3.35.92, Nekhbet, created on 6/18/2009 on 10:19a. How to reproduce the crash: start the game with d2x386.wad. Might be some strange hardware thing for me.

Fisk said:

3.35.92, Nekhbet, created on 6/18/2009 on 10:19a. How to reproduce the crash: start the game with d2x386.wad. Might be some strange hardware thing for me.

When you run it from the console, does it log any messages there after the crash?

Arrrggghhhh, I almost beat it. Got up to Map 06, and my ferret started climbing up my leg. It freaked me out, then I got splattered by a shotgun dude.

Fun stuff (:

sonic_13 said:

Arrrggghhhh, I almost beat it. Got up to Map 06, and my ferret started climbing up my leg. It freaked me out, then I got splattered by a shotgun dude.

Aw that's so awesome. The state government here won't allow you to keep a ferret as a pet ;_;

Very fun and cute. The maps remember these Mighty Max sets that had a scenario compressed in a small place.

That was great! Mousetraps kept me sweating with all those bastards teleporting right next me. And compressor felt like a race in a way... Good stuff.

Very nice. Having the Arachnotron’s on Map07 spawn in "stuck" was a little different.

However the teleporter pen on Map08 uses the unknown texture "RDDP01".

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments. I'm suprised how positive they've been.

@ SuperJamie, Chex Warrior & Mr. Chris - I set out with the intention of doing the full game but as the levels get bigger and less familiar to me (I play the first few levels over and over but not so often the mid to late maps) I doubted I could continue to do the originals justice.

Considering the warm response for the first 8 maps I might have a go at MAP09 - The Dip. I'll hold off from uploading to the archive until I'm sure I'm done.

@ Nomad & Sparerib - I knew about the steps in MAP02 but not the ones on MAP03. I'll leave them be, like you say they don't cause significant gameplay issues.

@ Myk & LogicDeLux - 386 is pure typo, but thanks for benefit of the doubt!

@ Vermil - I did try fixing those stuck Arachnotrons - it leaves one of them a sitting duck. But, although they seem to have sufficient room, I couldn't get it to work as I intended within the limits. I think I've fixed those missing textures in teleport pen in MAP08 (not re-uploaded yet).

Will update if I have any joy with the subsequent maps.

nice stuff, i like it.
whatever, yesterday i began to make a similar project for heretic, and using the medieval texture stuff, here's few shots from e1m1:
http://img21.imageshack.us/i/screenshotheretic200909.png/
http://img183.imageshack.us/i/screenshotheretic200909.png/
http://img21.imageshack.us/i/screenshotheretic200909v.png/

walter confalonieri said:

yesterday i began to make a similar project for heretic

Those look so cool. I seriously hope you post what you've done, even if it's only a few levels.