Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dutch Doomer

Playtest Please

Hi,

I tried your map, and didn't enjoy it. Sorry. :/

It could be just me not liking this kind of map, but I felt it lacked visual clarity - light levels being rather dark, with dark textures, few different textures and confusing layout at times. Fights were uneventful for the most part ; the plasma gun room was good, but everything else just felt like filler. Much of the detail didn't seem to serve any gameplay purpose.

I appreciate the effort and I don't mean to bash you, it's just my opinion. Again, it could be that this just isn't my kind of map.

Looks great. After doing a first play on UV in boom I'd say it's balanced pretty well, only complaint is that one switch you get access to while shooting the METAL3 (?) panel on the right side of the water part that's got the yellow key door, I have no idea what it did =/ Speaking of the yellow key door I couldn't find the key, so I guess it's a secret, probably off that switch -.-

Other than that it's cool.

Here's that demo: http://www.filedropper.com/abtbdd1

I wonder how the previous testers fared. Silently used noclip, and back clip again? I can't operate the first switch!Excuse me, testing it now.

Now onto it.

Your map becomes exciting once I get to the clicking mech zone. Too bad it ends too soon. Doom 2 heavy monsters for the world. I dare you to continue expanding this map!

Love your maps. Great gameplay. I played on UV. Plenty of monsters; ammo and health is balanced imo. Good barrel placement. I had no problem finding where to go next. Hard for me to find any fault with this map, I suppose adding 2-4 extra pinky demons to the level might make it more fun. I'll see if I can figure out how to do a boom demo.

You might wanna add an impassable line here so this doesn't happen.

Also in the same room, is this window that's across from it supposed to be translucent too?

Maybe i'm not picky, but i was pretty satisfied with the map. Lots of easy monsters for pistol combat, some harder monsters once getting the shotgun, traps, barrels, key pickup ambushes, the map seemed pretty good to me.

@Phml Thats ok, you can't please them all. Detail usually never serves gameplay. Imo the map isn't too dark, I didn't had problems seeing everything. You would have hated the original, that map was even more dark. I've tested it with multiple ports just in case. I'm using an TFT monitor.

@AmouredBlood the switch opens up an door somewhere else in the map. The yellow key is hidden, and not too hard to find. Look on the automap very closely.

@Printz I've been thinking about expanding this map some more. I even thought of adding an extra map that would be inspired by doom2 map01.

@Neon Thanks, I'll check out the demo later.

@JohnnyRancid I'll make that line impassible. The other window is not supposed to be translucent, there is nothing behind it.

Thanks for playing people.

dutch devil said:

I even thought of adding an extra map that would be inspired by doom2 map01.

Even more twist, inspire it on MAP02 :) But instead of three troopers, place three demons, so the players know they're not quite there!

Here is my *late 2 cents worth*

I liked this level. The gameplay was pretty much spot on. I couldn't fault it.

The level felt a bit too square and blocky in places, but that's a very minor thing. The only real thing the didn't fit in was the translucent linedef/s. The level is such a classic vanilla styled level, I just don't see the need for them.

That's pretty much it. Great work as always. :)

I am no fan of Underhalls, but I didn't really see much resemblance anyway. This map plays better than the original, and has a much better design.

@Kyka Its indeed square and blocky, metal and tekgren is such an pain to align on angeled walls. About the translucent textures, they are not really bothering me. Its for boom after all, I might as well use some of its features. But I agree that the map looks and feels classic, and that translucent linedefs don't fit in.

@sparerib1968 Its not supposed to look like the Undehalls, its not an remake. Its an map that is inspired by it, I'm glad you liked it.

Thanks for playing.