Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Ability to use the command line makes you a criminal.

As per subject:

Boston college believes prompt commands are suspicious.

Suspicious enough to grant seizing your equipment, in case you're a commie terrorist. Why couldn't he just use the mouse and menus like God commands?

It must probably have something to do with the fact that Linux is an illegal communist hacker operation system invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos.

If your son spends more than thirty minutes each day on the computer, he may be using it to DOS other peoples sites. DOSing involves gaining access to the "command prompt" on other people's machines, and using it to tie up vital internet services. This can take up to eight hours. If your son is doing this, he is breaking the law, and you should stop him immediately. The safest policy is to limit your children's access to the computer to a maximum of forty-five minutes each day.

hahahahahahhakjksbdk

Well I'm in deep shit then, because half of my time at my computer is spent at the command line, and I code in PHP almost every day. No wonder my head is always in the sky. :(

This is the police. It is illegal for you to read this. You're all hackers because you commented. I will now need to seize all of your electronics. You could be hacking on that toaster.

Computer hackers are often limited by conventional computer hardware. They may request "faster" video cards, and larger hard drives, or even more memory. If your son starts requesting these devices, it is possible that he has a legitimate need. You can best ensure that you are buying legal, trustworthy hardware by only buying replacement parts from your computer's manufacturer.

If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking. AMD chips are never sold in stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites. Do not buy this chip! This is one request that you must refuse your son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.

I'm fucking dying here.

It would not suprise me if it was actually true.

As soon as I saw "Boston College", that's enough, albeit not as bad as Harvard University, or other Cambridge schools.
Simply put, these Boston-area schools are run by stupid ultra-libby-lib Nazis that if they are at a disadvantage, you're either doing something illegal, or is not fair to others. You'll either be expelled, in prison, or have your character assisinated.

BC is run by stupid people, so in the real world, which they have no bearings of, who'd care?
I see a command prompt, I see someone using a computer the old-fashioned way. Nothing more to it, or troubleshooting.

This reminds me of an article about a year ago about a teacher that reprimanded one of her students for handing out copies of a (free) Linux distro under the pretense that "Free software is illegal".

The Letter to HeliOS:http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/linux-stop-holding-our-kids-back.html

The Apologies: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/15/helios_linux_texas_teacher/

Gez said:

The adequacy.org article is parody. The one on eff, though, is not.

Georgef551 said:

It would not suprise me if it was actually true.

Reading comprehension much? Are you saying the "is your son a hacker?" parody on adequacy.org is not a joke, or did you confuse adequacy.org with eff.org?

Quake is an online virtual reality used by hackers. It is a popular meeting place and training ground, where they discuss hacking and train in the use of various firearms. Many hackers develop anti-social tendencies due to the use of this virtual world, and it may cause erratic behaviour at home and at school.

If your son is using Quake, you should make hime understand that this is not acceptable to you. You should ensure all the firearms in your house are carefully locked away, and have trigger locks installed. You should also bring your concerns to the attention of his school.

It's amazing that that kind of technofear still exists. I mean seriously, have these people even used computers before?

That Adequacy article was way ahead of its time if you ask me, I remember reading that way back in the day, and then Slashdot, being completely incapable of taking a joke raided the comments thread trying to defend Linux. Nerds can be very angry people =P

I've used the command line with three different operating systems - does that make me a criminal mastermind?

I don't use the command line because I am a respectable young man.

I use command line... and DOS... and i als- Stop right there, criminal scum! We've traced your computer card now you're going to jail!

>Nooooo!

40oz said:

I don't use the command line because I am a respectable young man.

I guess running Zennode and RMB at the command line makes me a bad person. :(