Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
IMJack

2001 Words of the Year

/me drops a daisy cutter on a cuddle puddle, causing a debris surge of multicolored clothing and beads.

it's more harmful for people to be around second-hand speech than it is for people to be chronic speakers. Maybe we should do the world a favor and shut up.

Did you know 'fuck' is an acronym? Yes, Fornicating Under Consent of the King!

Rubbish, fuck is an Anglo Saxon word

edit
seems I was wrong, it's not Anglo Saxon:

It does not appear in writing until the early 16th century. However, there is a personal name which pops up in records from the late 13th century, John le Fucker, which indicates that the word was around at least at that early time in some form. It's possible that it was not recorded in writing prior to the 16th century because it was in fact considered obscene. No matter what its written status, few etymologists disagree that the word is of Germanic origin, although no one can say precisely whence it came. The word first appeared in Scotland, perhaps indicative of a Scandinavian source; there is, after all, the Norwegian dialectical fukka "copulate" along with the Swedish dialectical focka "copulate, hit" and fock "penis". Oh, and by the way, this word is simply not an acronym; the widely popular explanations that the word derives from Fornication Under Consent of the King or For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge are absolutely incorrect.

If www.fuck.co.uk were still the Fulchester Underwater Canooing Klub I would tell you to go there so as to prove you I'm right :) AFAIK if you wanted to fuck in Britain in the 18th century or something you had to ask permission for it and place an FUCK banner on the room's door.

BTW, I'm flattered for the fact you think I would be able to come up with such a perfect meaning for an acronym like that :p

This is a question for fodders or pritch or any other Brit native: What is the common meaning for the phrase "a proper Charlie"? I've been trying to find the "right" definition online, and I've gotten replies ranging from it meaning "a simple fool" to "a woman's privates". What is it?

According to the profanisaurius it's

Charlie rhym. slang. C*nt. From ‘Charlie Hunt’. As in "You look a proper Charlie".

Update
In cockney rhyming slang, 'Joe Hunt' (abbreviated to 'Joey'), and 'Sir Anthony Blunt' are all euphemisms for 'c*nt', as are the more cryptic 'Sir Berkeley' and 'Lady Berkeley'. The 'Berkeley'-'c*nt' connection stems from the rhyming slang term 'Berkeley Hunt' (also known as 'Berkshire Hunt', 'Burlington Hunt', and 'Birchington Hunt'). It is from this that the mild insult 'berk' is abbreviated, thus, "what these people are saying when they say 'You're a right berk', what they're actually saying is 'You're a right c*nt', which is much more obscene" [Richardson, 1994]. The widespread usage of 'berk' has been attributed to its frequent appearences in the situation comedy Steptoe And Son, and it is referenced in the song Berkshire C*nt by Conflict (1996). Another common, mild insult - 'charlie' - is also derived from cockney rhyming slang for 'c*nt': 'charlie' is a truncated form of 'Charlie Hunt'. It is most commonly used in phrases such as 'right charlie' and 'proper charlie', as in the headline Proper Charlies (9/9/2001) in The Observer: Review. Other rhyming slang terms for 'c*nt' are 'eyes front', 'Grannie Grunt', 'groan and grunt', 'gasp and grunt', 'growl and grunt', 'grumble and grunt' (abbreviated to 'grumble'), 'sharp and blunt', and 'National Front'. (A more comical Cockney 'c*nt' variant is 'cahnt', as in "You cahnt!" [Collis, 2001].) In backslang, 'c*nt' is 'tenuc' or 'teenuc', the extra 'e's being added to ease pronunciation. 'Big c*nt' in backslang is 'gib teenuc', and 'c*nt' in pig Latin is 'untcay'. Phonetically, 'c*nt' is found in otherwise innocuous words and names such as 'Fabricant', 'lubricant', 'replicant', 'supplicant', 'applicant', and 'significant'. Incredibly, 'c*nt' is to be found, spelt out in full, in 'Scunthorpe', the Humberside town, which causes problems when the name is blocked by internet filtering software: "all references to Scunthorpe are filtered out of [...] online chat room[s]" [Naughton, 2000].

So I was right, it is a profanity. That makes it the only prfanity ever to be used in a Charlie Brown cartoon.

There's something desperately retarded about knowing that fact...

oh well; love all, serve all.

Heh. 'Berk' is also used in planar cant, usualy meaning something along the lines of 'dumbass' or something like that. As in: 'Hey, check out that berk over there, he's a primer for sure, and he'll be barmy before the week is through, if he isn't a deader by then.'