Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zafbot

Lone Doomer

Creaphis said:

You know, overall we seem like an educated and creative, but discontented, bunch. We would get along, and could use each other's company. Why aren't we already living together in a Doomers' commune?

What type of commune do you have in mind - a Soviet-style collecive where we queue to use the computer, a 60's style hippie retreat where everyone has their own bong or an introverted quasi-religious community with Phoebus as it's spiritual leader?

NINJA EDIT - how long would it be before we started deathmatching with real shotguns? ;-)

GreyGhost said:

NINJA EDIT - how long would it be before we started deathmatching with real shotguns? ;-)

Once we recreate Dwango5 Map01 in real life.

I used to make fans by lending friends the GBA version of Doom when it first came out.
For a while we had a small group playing LAN with old laptops that would soon die.
I thought its port to the Xbox 360 would bring more players.
Instead the game gets many players that hate it foolishly comparing it to current games.
So pretty much no one I know plays doom anymore.

Fuck Halo. Interesting storyline; boring gameplay.

If you live in a large city with millions of people, of whom you may know only a few hundred and only a handful really good, and you think you're the only Doomer, your imagination is somewhat limited... please don't map.

Whilst I wouldn't have been such an asshole about it, Airman probably is right. Brisbane + suburbs is about the population of SD + suburbs, and there's at least 4 of us here. Just cos they don't post on Doomworld doesn't mean they aren't around :)

Also, The Green Herring has great levels in CChest3, several 32in24s and Claustrophobia 1024, as well as 4/5-rated maps of his own. Where are your well-reviewed idgames pages? Show a bit of respect.

Im pretty much the only one I know that plays Doom frequently. I got a few friends into it for a while, by giving them GZDoom + a gb of wads back in uni, but as far as I know they dont touch it anymore.

A few of my online friends have expressed interest, but thier too lazy to get the IWADs and have ot make do with Chex Quest 3 until they get them (Which causes no end of complaints, despite Chex Quest being AWESOME.) I did get surprised when some girl I know vaguely on Facebook used Doomsday regularly, since her brother is a huge Doomer. Never met anyone who likes Doom anywhere near as much as I do in my own country though (New Zealand)

Another sad thing, noone but you guys could tell that my Sims 2 project was a joke recreation of Doom stuff.

Also AgentSpork is the luckiest man on earth.

I have pretty much the same problem too. The only other person I know that plays Doom is my cousin and he doesn't play it very much anymore. He's only played the console versions and has never played it on the PC. He's still into Doom but he just doesn't play it much. Since I used to be exclusively a console gamer and have only recently turned to PC Doom gaming, I've been telling him about it and how much better (for the most part) it is. He's interested in what I tell him about it and he may start playing again. I also gave another friend of mine a copy of Doom95 but he has yet to play it. I still play newer games though, I love the new Call Of Duty games and can't wait for Modern Warfare 2 but I will always love and play Doom!

The only Doomer Near me is the artist formerly known as DJ_Haruko (Partition36). I imagine when I go to westminster to study animation, I should get a chance to meet him IRL.

Every now and then I can manage to get my friends to play Doom through Co-op and Dm, but it's died down between us on playing... Only if more of my friends appreciated Doom. ¬.¬

But as far as being a lone Doomer, yeah, I'm kinda there, nearest Doomer to me is Danarchy.

For the next eight months my home base is going to be Winnipeg, Manitoba. The closest Doomer that I already know about is AndrewB, who's only one province west of there. I should drive down and say hi.

Fisk said:

If I recall correctly, I live near Ty Halderman (New Orleans, LA). That's about it, though.

EDIT: Yes, apparently, I do indeed live near said Doomer.

Nobody else from Louisiana? You'd figure since we're a bunch of politically-backwards, technologically-depraved poverty-stricken rednecks with some African hooligans mixed in down here, Doom and similar retro games would be prevalent. Just goes to show you.

I live pretty close to the west Louisiana border (about a 30 minute drive from Beaumont to the west border) and a little over 4 hours away from New Orleans. Technically, that's not "close", I know. I have family and kin in Louisiana, so I know what you're talking about.

Here on the campus of Lamar University, there aren't many, if any, who share my same enthusiasm for Doom. Most are into this new-age hippie next-gen crap. I:

Now I feel old. ._.

The closest doomer to me is JohnnyRancid (aka 40oz), and when I say close, I mean it. This guy's like 10-15 minutes away from me.

I think, outside of my brother, I'm the only person in the Portland Metro area that plays Doom this avidly. I've not met anybody that still appreciates Doom - most of my friends are more interested in the original Half-Life.

YMB said:

The closest doomer to me is JohnnyRancid (aka 40oz), and when I say close, I mean it. This guy's like 10-15 minutes away from me.

Consider moving. :P

Heh. Mike.Reinerz and probably live about four miles from each other tops, and we've yet to meet. Kind of funny.

Use3D said:

Consider moving. :P

I am. right next door to you. Mornin' neighbor!

I haven't really met any Doomers here in Maine. When discussing video games in random situations, if I bring Doom up, I just might get a response like- oh yeah I barely remember that game!

It's hard to imagine there is any body who is really into the game around here. When I say that I mean people who play custom maps, Zdaemon, Skulltag, etc etc.

I'm the only Doomer I know in Southside Virginia.

At class I would talk to other gamers about Doom and they'd say "Doom 3 was pretty fun". Then when I would clarify and talk about Classic Doom they'd stare at me and talk to someone else about the new Grand Theft Auto. I get the feeling people find Doomers to be insane or something.

sonic_13 said:

When discussing video games in random situations, if I bring Doom up, I just might get a response like- oh yeah I barely remember that game!

At least you can get a response like that, When I bring up Duke Nukem or Unreal Tournament people say that they have never even heard of it. Very sad. :(

I'm not even really friends with many people who play video games, but I tell the people I know that don't play any video games that Doom is my hobby. Not video games, or as specific as old school 90's first person shooter games, just Doom. I feel free to flaunt some the doom memorabilia I have, such as my doom T-shirt, Doom ringtone, and pretty soon my new Doom tattoo im getting today. I just wait for people to ask me about it.

40oz said:

I tell the people I know that don't play any video games that Doom is my hobby.

When speaking to non-gamers I feel compelled to go into a diatribe about the aesthetic possibilities of an explorable art form and yada yada yada. Saying outright that "Doom" is a hobby of mine, or even saying that video games are a hobby of mine makes me feel a bit silly. But kudos to you for getting branded. Truly you are a better Doomer than I.

Actually, now I'm imagining tattoos of Doom monsters, directly copied from the original sprite art, every square pixel lovingly painted. That would be pretty awesome...

Nomad said:

Heh. Mike.Reinerz and probably live about four miles from each other tops, and we've yet to meet. Kind of funny.

I'm lazy, what can I say?

I used to play a lot of doom with a few of my friends a long time ago, but they have mostly moved on. They all appreciate doom for what it is though, and don't think less of it because of newer games.

Mattfrie1 said:

At least you can get a response like that, When I bring up Duke Nukem or Unreal Tournament people say that they have never even heard of it. Very sad. :(

How can someone not know Unreal Tournament? That game gets regular sequels and spinoffs!