Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mmnpsrsoskl

Decent webspace

Does anyone know of a decent website that gives you space to setup a website? I tried geocities but they really screwed up my page when I tried to load it up. More like geoshities...

My site, R! World, http://www.myrworld.com, is considering offering hosted sites in the fashion of Doomworld for the "best of the best", including Descent sites. You wouldn't get the traffic you would from PlanetDescent, but you'd likely have more leniency. The real downside is that for the moment I don't have the ability to give out FTP accounts, but I'm sure I could set up a web interface. The requirements would primarily be:

1. That you show me a demo of your content, or preferably an already working site.
2. That you promise to frequently update the site.
3. You will place a banner ad, in the esque of Telefragged ads, and somewhere, like near the bottom, a link to R! World.

You'd get a reasonable amount of web space, but the game file would likely be stored on the 3D Downloads server; you get a forum on the BBS; link on the front page of R! World, etc.

Just a thought,
RCM

If your ISP allows it, then be your own server. If your site ever becomes popular enough so that would be a problem, then you can just pay for hosting.

Otherwise, try Freewebz or 9cy.

9cy offers great space (100 megs) and no bandwith or filesize limit, but I've noticed they tend to be unreliable and their servers go down now and then.

Well just before I hit 'submit reply' I noticed that 9cy is now only giving a measly 15 megs. Still, no ads, better than Geocities if you're desperate.

It may be no use recommending any ISP if British Telecomm's court case today wins: The net will be almost shut down:
BT claims it owns the patent rights to hyperlinks. Should it win, every website would have to pay a license fee. 1st target is Prodigy, and if it wins AOL is next

Fat chance of that going through. Wait...did you say Prodigy? I havn't heard about that since back in the day. I used to use that when I was 7 or something.

Anyway, I know of a place handing out free domain names, but I'm not going to tell anyone about it for fear that someone may take my domain before I get a chance to register it. So there.

but I'm not going to tell anyone about it for fear that someone may take my domain before I get a chance to register it. So there.

Damm you! :)

Thanks for all the help everyone.

WHAT? That's even worse than most of the Microsoft shit that's been flying around! Got any links to that, fod?

If that happens, i'm gonna start a "Have everyone in BT brutally murdered" fund :P