Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ledmeister

Jaguar/32X/SNES Doom map images online

For anyone interested in reference material on old console Doom ports (all two of ya):
Level images for Doom games on Atari Jaguar, Sega 32X and Super NES are now online at Classic DOOM, showing locations of keys, teleporters, exits, and score-affecting secret areas.

JagMaps (Atari Jaguar, also 3DO and GBA Doom 1 games)
32XMaps (Sega Genesis 32X Doom)
SNESMaps (Super Nintendo Doom)

See also
PC/Xbox Doom maps
PSX/Saturn Doom maps
Doom 64 maps

I have 2 questions.

Other then the 7 missing levels, are there any differences between the 32X maps and the Jaguar/3DO/GBA maps?

Other then the 5 missing levels and the added secret exit in REFINERY, are there any differences between the SNES maps and the PC/XBOX maps?

Nice, though all it needs now is the map images for the GBA deathmatch levels. I could provide those if needed.

I love your website Led, the most informative website that I have seen on Doom to date.

Pretty sure that the Jag and 32X version have the non-accessible secret area in the bottom left hand corner of the map. Sure this don't show up on the all map cheat (if there is one for these games) but it still does affect your secrets percentage. Is there any way possible in game to idclip into those areas within the actual game(with maybe something like a gameshark)?

I'm also sure in Map 2 that there is an Imp stuck behind the exit switch in the last room, any conformation on this too?

Awesome maps BTW.

Mattfrie1 said:

I love your website Led, the most informative website that I have seen on Doom to date.

Agreed. I don't have any use for these images, honestly, but I want to thank you for your efforts. I somehow found your site before I ever found this one, and its example demos and secret guides were a great help.

Doom_user said:

Other then the 7 missing levels, are there any differences between the 32X maps and the Jaguar/3DO/GBA maps?

In terms of layout, I don't recall any notable differences.

Other then the 5 missing levels and the added secret exit in REFINERY, are there any differences between the SNES maps and the PC/XBOX maps?

Let's see, if I remember correctly (ha!)...
SNES map E1M8, Military Base, changes the northwest room a little, and adds a couple of chambers that open up to release monsters. In the PC game, monsters would teleport in from an unseen area.
SNES map E2M3, Deimos Lab, had a tiny adjustment to make the secret panel leading to the "plasma rifle room" a little easier to find.
SNES map E3M5, Mt. Erebus, had a minor change to the "roof" of the northern-most building, making it easier to jump into the secret-exit box...it's all but impossible otherwise. :p
That's all I can remember right now. %)

Kaiser said:

Nice,

Praise from Caesar! ;)

though all it needs now is the map images for the GBA deathmatch levels. I could provide those if needed.

I'd thought about those, but bailed. Deathmatch-only stuff continues to be put on the back burner as far as the map-images go.
But!, if you happen to have accurate PC-compatible WADs of the GBA Doom II maps handy, that'd save me some trouble. :)

Mattfrie1 said:

Thanks! I aims to please.

Pretty sure that the Jag and 32X version have the non-accessible secret area in the bottom left hand corner of the map.

Right, Containment Area has an inaccessible secret-flagged room at the south end of the map. That room was included in the early console port of the map, but the corridor leading to it was removed (oops).

Sure this don't show up on the all map cheat (if there is one for these games)

(Side note: there are map cheats, but the code was accidentally messed up. It was eventually fixed in the 3DO port.)

but it still does affect your secrets percentage. Is there any way possible in game to idclip into those areas within the actual game(with maybe something like a gameshark)?

No, not as far as I know. :/

I'm also sure in Map 2 that there is an Imp stuck behind the exit switch in the last room, any conformation on this too?

Correct, but only at higher skill levels. If you cheat to get a rocket launcher, you can kill it if you want a 100% score. :)

Awesome maps BTW.

Thank you sir.

Creaphis said:

Agreed. I don't have any use for these images, honestly, but I want to thank you for your efforts. I somehow found your site before I ever found this one, and its example demos and secret guides were a great help.

Cool. Glad to be of service.
:)

Doom_user said:

I am not sure about the GBA and the 3DO ports, for i never really played them often, but the Jaguar and the 32X maps are layout-wise identical. Though, they have some differences in the textures. But i guess, that is for technical reasons.

Mattfrie1 said:

Is there any way possible in game to idclip into those areas within the actual game(with maybe something like a gameshark)?

I don't know of any devices like a gameshark for the 32X and the Jaguar. There may exist something like that for the GBA, don't know.
The 3DO have only the Game Guru, but i have never seen any codes for idclip for that.

BTW: Led, i like your site. I take a look at your site regulary, since it was hostet at AOL. It's a big chunk of work, you put in it.

Ledmeister said:

Right, Containment Area has an inaccessible secret-flagged room at the south end of the map. That room was included in the early console port of the map, but the corridor leading to it was removed (oops).

Does this room by any chance happen to be the secret room that has the chainsaw in it from the PC? Because when I shoot at the walls it sounds like I can hear a mix of demons and lost souls in there (The lost souls have no death sound that you can really hear over an exploding rocket). Also when I clip in that direction on the PC it brings me there, so I am led to believe that.

Also on the trapped Imp in map 2, This is obviously a left-over from the PC map, where the exit there is a lift and then a switch, unlike the console map where it is just a switch. Interestingly enough, I have been able to shoot through the wall sometimes with my pistol, shotgun, or chaingun and still kill it. Weird huh? It's good how they cleverly put him outside in the PSX version, but even that version has some flubs that I have noticed thanks to your site.

Ledmeister said:
...SNES map E1M8, Military Base...SNES map E2M3, Deimos Lab...SNES map E3M5, Mt. Erebus...

From what I've read on some FAQ(s), the original map arrangement and order are actually retained (ie, all the 9 levels of each episode) in the SNES version. Only they are inaccessible by regular means in-game and it goes from Halls of the Damned to Tower of Babel, for example (skipping the "inaccessible" levels).

When using Game Genie or Action Replay, don't know exactly which, you'll discover this.

Anyway, cheating to get to those inaccessible levels is a waste, since they aren't in the game and will give a black screen.

Maybe that's not easy to understand, but I'm kinda struggling to explain, lol. In easier words, Deimos Lab is still E2M4 and Refinery is still E2M3 in SNES Doom. E2M2 (which should be containment area) results in a black screen when accessed. Same applies for the others.

cybdmn said:

BTW: Led, i like your site. I take a look at your site regulary, since it was hostet at AOL. It's a big chunk of work, you put in it.

Thanks. :)

Mattfrie1 said:

Does this room by any chance happen to be the secret room that has the chainsaw in it from the PC?

Yep, that's it exactly.

I have been able to shoot through the wall sometimes with my pistol, shotgun, or chaingun and still kill it. Weird huh?

Yeah that's an interesting "feature" you can sometimes get away with. ;) Damage-leak is all over the early console ports.

J-selva said:

From what I've read on some FAQ(s), the original map arrangement and order are actually retained (ie, all the 9 levels of each episode) in the SNES version. Only they are inaccessible by regular means in-game and it goes from Halls of the Damned to Tower of Babel, for example (skipping the "inaccessible" levels).

The E#M# designators don't appear during gameplay, but I use 'em on the site just for convenience's sake... but I dunno, maybe it just confuses things.

Ragnor said:

Personally, I'm dying to know whats in that inaccessible secret area in Unholy Cathedral, for PSX Doom.

It contains a Soul Sphere and a chain saw.

cybdmn said:

Though, they have some differences in the textures. But i guess, that is for technical reasons.

I'm assuming they are different because Sega rushed Id to complete the maps, so they weren't able to add in all of the textures. I've also noticed that where all of the areas that had gibbed marines are replaced by generic dead zombiemen, another thing that they didn't have time for I guess.

A random question about SNES Doom. Is it really censored? I've looked all over the internet for the answer, and I haven't really gotten a definite one. It seems what they took out could be classified as things Nintendo wouldn't have liked or cart space. Anyone know?

J-selva said:

...the original map arrangement and order are actually retained (ie, all the 9 levels of each episode) in the SNES version. Only they are inaccessible by regular means in-game and it goes from Halls of the Damned to Tower of Babel, for example (skipping the "inaccessible" levels)...

According to the Doom Wiki, the Jaguar version of Doom also has two unused map spaces after the used 24.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Atari_Jaguar

"The file in_main.c of the source for this version contain definitions for two more maps (Fortress of Mystery and Warrens), which are commented out. Seemingly both maps were planned to be included. A hint for this can be found by using a level warp cheat. This cheat uses the numbers on the gamepad, and they work for all 24 maps. If one try this for map 25 or 26, the game crashes with an errormessage. This does not happen, if one try that with numbers up from 27."

Mattfrie1 said:

A random question about SNES Doom. Is it really censored? I've looked all over the internet for the answer, and I haven't really gotten a definite one. It seems what they took out could be classified as things Nintendo wouldn't have liked or cart space. Anyone know?

Well, the blood is still red, instead of green like in Nintendo GBA Doom 1 and 2; and you can find exploded corpses on the ground here and there. But there's no "gibbing", as what sometimes happens in the PC game when a humanoid or Imp takes severe damage. There's also no corpse crushing or blood spatters, though that may be more in line with all the general sprite hacking they did to cut down the game for size and speed.

Oh yeah, and some other graphic images are missing, such as the Baron corpses in PC E2M8: PC version / SNES version

Etc., etc...

Ledmeister said:

It contains a Soul Sphere and a chain saw.

Ah. The see-through-walls code never worked in that area, so I couldnt see into it.

I suppose the triggers for it to open werent included? Or were they just messed up?

Ragnor said:

I suppose the triggers for it to open werent included? Or were they just messed up?

Messed up. The hidden panel should open with the yellow key, but doesn't.

Vermil said:

According to the Doom Wiki, the Jaguar version of Doom also has two unused map spaces after the used 24.

I wrote that in the doom wiki. You can check that easily by downloading the source an look for these entries in in_main.c
Back then, i checked the cheats for this port and stumbled upon this, after trying to look what happens, if you try to access maps above 24, and the game crashed whenever i tried it with 25 and 26. Nothing happens above. Some years later i read somewhere, that there where 2 more maps planned, which was dropped because of cartridge space. So i looked within the source as it was released for informations about that, and fortunately, i found these entries.