Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Do0minat0r

Database issue?

I just noticed that only like 4 or 5 new votes on wads total have come in on the Doomworld /idgames database over that last 24 hours or so. While it doesn't affect me, it makes me wonder, are you having problems reviewing on the database? I'm not, but the very slow rate makes me suspect some may be experiencing problems when trying to review. I guess it could be a coincidence, but this slow rate is practically unseen for as long as I've been looking at/reading reviews comments there (multiple years) and makes me think there may be a reason for it. So I wanted to post this thread to point it out just in case there is a problem with the database.

Gez said:

Oh no! What will Brandon D. Lade do if people stop voting for mods????

I won't do anything. I just wanted to see if there is a problem. I can't speak for anyone else, including Brandon D. Lade (and yes, I remember seeing his posts that thinking how awful they were), nor do I care what anyone else will do, as long as it isn't "stop making new maps".

This is simply a thread meant to be an avenue to point out an issue if there is one.

Maybe we should all stop making new maps and play more doom.

Yeah, some people are going to stop making maps, but not because of the database. Most of the new maps I play come straight from posts on these forums, and I hardly ever visit the database anymore.

Krispavera said:

Maybe we should all stop making new maps and play more doom.

Yeah, some people are going to stop making maps, but not because of the database. Most of the new maps I play come straight from posts on these forums, and I hardly ever visit the database anymore.

There are still plenty of maps in /newstuff that don't have associated forum threads.

And this voting thing is sudden. It may just be a coincidence, but the suddenness is why I posted about it.

And are you trying to discourage mappers from making more? I doubt you'd really do that, since we all (and I'm sure you do too) love playing new stuff, but the way your post came off looks rather odd.

No not really, I'm speaking more for myself when I say I need to close the editor for a bit and just play some doom every once in a while. Of course I like seeing new maps, but if all everyone does is map, what's the point?

But yeah you're right, people from other communities put stuff into the database, and my first level was uploaded before I ever started posting. I usually miss out on this stuff until /newstuff chronicles comes, then I catch up on what I missed.

Basically what I'm saying is that I wouldn't worry too much about it. Then again, I haven't been following the database lately so I really wouldn't notice any sudden drop in activity.

Krispavera said:

No not really, I'm speaking more for myself when I say I need to close the editor for a bit and just play some doom every once in a while. Of course I like seeing new maps, but if all everyone does is map, what's the point?

But yeah you're right, people from other communities put stuff into the database, and my first level was uploaded before I ever started posting. I usually miss out on this stuff until /newstuff chronicles comes, then I catch up on what I missed.

Basically what I'm saying is that I wouldn't worry too much about it. Then again, I haven't been following the database lately so I really wouldn't notice any sudden drop in activity.

That sounds about right - like a better and more understandable way of putting it. I was never really that worried about it, and I'm still not; I was just posing in case there is a glitch preventing some people from being able to review. The thought of this potential actually occured because I suffered from one less than a week ago and had to PM a mod to get it cleared up. The potential for such an issue is the only reason I posted this.