Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TimeOfDeath

How to stop in-game demos from playing at the title screen?

The wad is for prboom-plus. Is it possible to stop the original doom2 in-game demos from playing at the title screen? I changed the title screen music, but the music stops playing when a demo starts.

I'm guessing you want the title track to play on and on as long as you stay in the intro loop...

You can't really do anything to manage that in any of the more classic engines.

Yes, I'd like it to loop over and over. Darn. How about modifying the demos themselves to somehow prevent them from playing? I tried changing the demo1.lmp map number to map0, so that maybe prboom-plus wouldn't play the demo since there's no map0, but it played on map01 instead. I also tried making a demo1.lmp in notepad that just had blank space, but it gave me an error when prboom-plus tried to play it, saying "could not recognize demo header" or something.

I guess you could also change the demos to play on a map that isn't in the wad, and change the music for that map to the title screen music, and make the demos long so that the music loops over and over.

A very short demo should have at least the header and perhaps a tic of action. Not sure what's the minimum data required, but it would still interrupt the music even if you managed to make it almost non-detectable otherwise.

If you plan a 32 level WAD you could add a long demo in map33 to have PrBoom+ play it after the title screen and between the other screens. The music will restart over and over with the demo, interrupted only briefly by the title pic music, so you might want to make it about as long as the music track so it fits in smoothly... or just a very long demo, yeah.

TimeOfDeath said:

I guess you could also change the demos to play on a map that isn't in the wad, and change the music for that map to the title screen music, and make the demos long so that the music loops over and over.

I like that idea. While you're at it, you could flesh the map out to display wad credits, or establish the wad's atmosphere.

i dont know how to do this in prboom, but in zdoom you can eliminate all the demos and credits by making a TITLEMAP, and make the titlemap just have a playerstart looking straight at a texture (make your TITLEPIC a custom texture). if done well you wont be able to tell that its a titlemap.

if you need an example check out IOGW.wad.