Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Starke Von Oben

Gzdoom

Hi again.

I would like to start experimenting with Gzdoom. 3D floors seem like fun to play with, and I would like to get into it this weekend.

I've already got my copy. What nodebuilders will I require? Will I need additional files? I am using the old edition of Doom Builder. Will I need Doom Builder 2?

Starke Von Oben said:

What nodebuilders will I require?

GZDoom can rebuild the nodes but if you want to release something with prebuild nodes you will need ZDBSP and build compressed GL nodes. Normal nodes are useless for a GL renderer.

Will I need additional files?

No.

I am using the old edition of Doom Builder. Will I need Doom Builder 2?

No. But why stick to the old version when the new one is better?

Starke Von Oben said:

Downloading DB2 now... hope that helps.

Download Doombuilder2 r1157 from http://www.doombuilder.com/index.php?p=downloads
and install it. This may take a while since it installs also files for SlimDX and .NET framework.

After this installation go to http://svn.drdteam.org/doombuilder2/ and download
and install version r1233.

DB2 does not come with a config file for GZDoom, so get that from
http://forum.drdteam.org/download/file.php?id=1600 and unzip and install it into
the Configurations directory of your DB2 installation.

To set up DB2, check out AlysiumX's video series, although it is not difficult to figure out.

Is it ok if I download the .net framework seperately and install it myself rather than have doom builder install it? The reason is that I don't have broadband at home, and the connection is so crappy that it can only download up to 20 mb in two hours (and it's 22 mb!). I've gone to a friend's house to download it now, but will that stop doombuilder automatically going to microsoft to download it again?

GreyGhost said:

I installed .NET before DB2 without any apparent problems - go for it.

you don't need to do that when you install DB2 it installs all the other required programs/files along with it. (as it did that after I formated my computer.)

I finally got DB2 working on my new laptop.

What nodebuilder do I need to make a 3D sector? I'm pretty sure I'm following everything to the letter but the 3D bridge isn't showing up.

Starke Von Oben said:

What nodebuilder do I need to make a 3D sector? I'm pretty sure I'm following everything to the letter but the 3D bridge isn't showing up.

Try it with glbsp. http://glbsp.sourceforge.net/

Starke Von Oben said:

GZDoom has an internal node builder so you don't need any special one. If you do, ZDBSP is the safest bet.

Make sure that you draw a sector inside your map and a dummy sector outside the map (I think they have to be the same size as each other). Then, give one of the lines in the dummy sector a linedef action of 160. The arguments are as follows:

Arg 1: Sector Tag
Arg 2 and 3: Unsure, normally filled in as 0 or 1 from my experience
Arg 4: Transparency (0 = Transparent, 255 = Opague)

Hope this helps.

the iron hitman said:

Make sure that you draw a sextor inside your map and a dummy sector outside the map (I think they have to be the same size as each other).

They don't. Typically, such control sectors are just tiny triangles of hidden linedefs. Triangles because you need at least three vertices to make a sector.

Gez said:

They don't. Typically, such control sectors are just tiny triangles of hidden linedefs. Triangles because you need at least three vertices to make a sector.

I knew that, but don't the sectors have to be the same length (x or y axis as well as diagonally placed sectors depending on which way you're working) if you're going to slope a 3D floor? Correct me if I'm wrong though.

EDIT: Sorry if I explain things in a strange way. I'm more used to showing people what I'm on about or physically doing it for them.

the iron hitman said:

if you're going to slope a 3D floor?

Yes, sloped 3D floors are trickier. The usual and probably the easiest method is to align the dummy sector with the play sector and keep the lengths the same. It isn't essential though and with a bit of simple maths you can work out where things need to be if, for example, there isn't enough convenient space in your map for a full-length control sector.

the iron hitman said:

Make sure that you draw a sector inside your map and a dummy sector outside the map (I think they have to be the same size as each other). Then, give one of the lines in the dummy sector a linedef action of 160. The arguments are as follows:

Arg 1: Sector Tag
Arg 2 and 3: Unsure, normally filled in as 0 or 1 from my experience
Arg 4: Transparency (0 = Transparent, 255 = Opague)

Hope this helps.

Small example wad would help :D

Enjay postet one. You can search through the GZDoom forums for 3d floors, there are other example maps too. At least it isn't that complicated to build a simple bridge, or stuff like that, once you get get an idea how it works.

In fact, you can think of the dummy sector as a solid block turned inside out, that will be rendered additionally in the place of the map, where you have the actual sector. The actual sector is the shape of that block in the top down view. The dummy sectors ceiling height and texture is the top height and texture of the rendered block, the same goes for the dummy sectors floor/block lower side.
The main wall texture of the dummy sector is the texture of the blocks sides.