Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Halo 3 : ODST Launches Tuesday

The title says it all, I preordered, lol. : D

I dont know if anyone else is excited about this, so this thread may result into a flame war.

Anyone?

Krispavera said:

Oh boy more brown things to shoot.

I've only played Halo1. But the things I shot were not brown.

avery1555 said:
so this thread may result into a flame war.

You know it will.

Anyway, I've never owned Halo. If I decide to try it, which one should I get first?

The first one. It's actually pretty fun and looking up in to the sky and seeing the massive ring world it neat. After the first game though...

kristus said:

Halo 3 is stuck firmly in the "brown is real" philosophy of visual design.

DuckReconMajor said:

Anyway, I've never owned Halo. If I decide to try it, which one should I get first?

If you want to understand the story and main gameplay aspects, play Halo : Combat Evolved (now on pc). If you want a Halo for replay value, get Halo 3.

What's so special about ANOTHER Halo game with a new title?

In my brief experience, I did play Halo MP with a couple buddies and I could NOT adjust to the giant controller it used, thus I was slaughtered by the others.

Mr. Chris said:

What's so special about ANOTHER Halo game with a new title?

In my brief experience, I did play Halo MP with a couple buddies and I could NOT adjust to the giant controller it used, thus I was slaughtered by the others.

Well he reason why we (people in the seventh column) and bungie fans are excited, is because its the first Halo FPS game where you get to play the role of a regular ODST, you no longer have shields or anything like that, and the game relies heavily on things like stealth.

Its basically a whole new Halo game, but it will feel familiar.

i played halo 1 and 2. both are good games, i aint doubting that, but they arent truly great games, like so many people think, and i cant understand the total hype around them.

thing is, after buying both games and trying both, i went stragiht back to doom in a few hours.

most of my friends, however, would shoot their mother for this game... :/

Krispavera said:

Oh boy more brown things to shoot.

Pretty sure Halo's major palette is primarily purple and green, not brown. You're probably thinking of Gears of War. Pretty common mistake, so it's perfectly understandable.

While I admit Halo 2 was my least favorite, Halo 1 and 3 are awesome. They are revolutionary because the gameplay is amazing but theres is also a very deep story which contains great moral value, for a video game. You can easily get immersed in it.

The reason why the hype is so much greater then Dooms is because, Doom has great gameplay, but the story is hard to get immersed in since its basically just "your a marine, shoot things".

avery1555 said:

Well he reason why we (people in the seventh column) and bungie fans are excited, is because its the first Halo FPS game where you get to play the role of a regular ODST, you no longer have shields or anything like that, and the game relies heavily on things like stealth

So the player is just a regular grunt and not Master Chief, atop not relying on shields and tossing in Splinter Cell/Manhunt 2 type stealth?

I really don't like games that rely on sneaking around too much since I am the type to just clear the room of bad guys with weapons instead of getting mobbed by them when underequipped.

Its not incredibly stealthy, you have stamina which basically means you can fight for a limited time and still get into shootouts.

Its more of a Call of Duty feel from what I have played in Firefight. (Yes, Bungie was allowing people to play Firefight at select locations.)

avery1555 said:

The reason why the hype is so much greater then Dooms is because, Doom has great gameplay, but the story is hard to get immersed in since its basically just "your a marine, shoot things".

Or maybe Doom's major hype wore off before you were born?

And I'm not sure all those kids play Halo online for "great moral value".

avery1555 said:

While I admit Halo 2 was my least favorite, Halo 1 and 3 are awesome. They are revolutionary because the gameplay is amazing but theres is also a very deep story which contains great moral value, for a video game. You can easily get immersed in it.

Halo has a great story? Sorry, I totally missed that one when playing it. :(

Halo 3 is one of the best FPS games I've ever played.

Also, it pretty much single-handedly resurrected coop shooters.

kristus said:

AgentSpork said:

Pretty sure Halo's major palette is primarily purple and green, not brown. You're probably thinking of Gears of War. Pretty common mistake, so it's perfectly understandable.

Excuse my mistake.

Oh boy, more purple and green things to shoot.

EDIT: Ok, I played Halo on the PC and I enjoyed it. I never played Halo 2 or 3 though, but I figured they were just more of the same. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Halo was brown? The only thing I remember being brown in Halo was the beginning of Halo 2, which took place in Cairo which o hay is pretty brown IRL. I never thought the Halo games were that great, but they were pretty fun to play co-op on. Deathmatch wasn't bad either.

Danarchy said:

Deathmatch wasn't bad either.

Felt like playing underwater. Halo 2 was so boring I was falling asleep at the controller.

Krispavera said:

EDIT: Ok, I played Halo on the PC and I enjoyed it. I never played Halo 2 or 3 though, but I figured they were just more of the same. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No worse than Doom 2 or Final Doom which are WAY more of the same. Of course they're similar to their predecessors. They're sequels, they're fun, and you're a buzz kill dude.

avery1555 said:

They are revolutionary because the gameplay is amazing but theres is also a very deep story which contains great moral value, for a video game. You can easily get immersed in it.

Ok, this is just silly. There's nothing special or revolutionary about Halo's game play or story. The reason it's so popular was that Halo was the first generic FPS for consoles that was actually playable.

Yeah the ring world sky is pretty neat, but that does not a game make. And there's nothing wrong with Halo. It's just not as fantastic or special as it's made out to be, and had it been made for PC instead of consoles it would've been mostly forgotten by now. It would probably still have gotten sequels, but sequels is the new black of the gaming industry.

I mean, they're even making a sequel to Prey.

EDIT: I guess I got flames started. Someone draink a gallon oh' terpantiine and piss aun eit.

kristus said:

Ok, this is just silly. There's nothing special or revolutionary about Halo's game play or story. The reason it's so popular was that Halo was the first generic FPS for consoles that was actually playable.

...It's just not as fantastic or special as it's made out to be, and had it been made for PC instead of consoles it would've been mostly forgotten by now.

Coming from a fairly rich FPS history such as myself, I can attest to this. My first reaction when seeing Halo was 'Wow, Half Life and Tribes had a baby.' Was it fun? Sure, I played the first one from beginning to end and had a good time. Console boys hadn't seen a first person game do these things but to PC users it was nothing new at all.

Of course the silly monsters and complete lack of weapon balance threw immersion out the window for me, I still think Halo1 is the best of series. Playing Co-op on Legendary with my buddy was a great time. However I have no interest seeing it's 'story' come to a conclusion or buying the overblown hype the future games have produced.

kristus said:

Yeah the ring world sky is pretty neat, but that does not a game make. And there's nothing wrong with Halo. It's just not as fantastic or special as it's made out to be, and had it been made for PC instead of consoles it would've been mostly forgotten by now. It would probably still have gotten sequels, but sequels is the new black of the gaming industry.

This.

I wasn't wooed in by the first Halo. It was okay, but nothing memorable. I played 2 and I felt ripped off. It felt like a damn rush job. Then again, the documentary that came with the special edition is pretty fitting as it looked like the entire Bungie staff dicked around rather than actually making the game. 3 was silly and ridiculous in its own right plus more of the same crap from the previous two installments.

Then again, I was raised on Doom when it came out, so pretty much (most) everything pertaining to first person shooters isn't new to me. What bothers me about Halo is that (to me at least) there was nothing hype-worthy about the series, besides what Kristus said. I've played shooters that I felt were more deserving of hype/recognition than Halo/2/3/whatever.

About the best way I can summarize my feelings for Halo as a series is that it's the pinnacle of hyped generic mediocrity. \:

Ralphis said:

No worse than Doom 2 or Final Doom which are WAY more of the same. Of course they're similar to their predecessors. They're sequels, they're fun, and you're a buzz kill dude.

Yeah you're right... I do enjoy blasting lots of demons in Doom so what the hell am I complaining about?

Oh what the hell, I am a buzz kill. I'll just leave it alone.

We need to remember here that Bungie grew Halo out of nothing, sure they had Marathon, a small Mac release, which was not that popular. The game got success because people find the game to be great. Not because Bungie fanboys say its great. The game at the time WAS revolutionary just like Doom was, and we really need to admit that maybe, Halo is popular for a reason. Not just blind luck.

I grew up with it so it was easy to get hooked, most of you grew up with Doom so it was easy to get hooked onto that.

I don't know if anyone actually remembers the first Halo anymore because I keep seeing the words 'good' and 'fun' being posted everywhere. I owned a copy of the PC port (which was very much superior in every way to the XBox copy, the way a shooter should be) and as I recall, the different areas within maps were virtually indistinguishable. Same texture, same architexture, complete lack of bad guys to kill. There is no reason to have to backtrack through the same ugly complexes that many times.

Now, map design was the only real failing of Halo, the multiplayer was actually fairly good and modding it made it suck less. Halo 2 and Halo 3 were complete disappointments though. They took the original and added....nothing. Nothing but fluff anyway - "You can hold TWO NEEDLERS SIMULTANEOUSLY! That's a gaming revolution right there!!" - yeah, it was campy and fun when James Bond did it in Goldeneye, but it's definitely not a revolution by any stretch of the imagination. Halo 3 (or as much of Halo 3 as I could play - my friend's xbox Elite died literally 2 weeks after he bought it, this was after everyone he knew telling him it was going to break.) brought nothing to a franchise that never really had anything, except gullible fans. Interestingly enough, Halo 3's graphics looked worse than the original, since all the faggoty colours play Hell on your eyes.

Anyway, nobody is allowed to start that line of bullshit about Halo having a good story either. What story? Just because a game has brief cutscenes doesn't mean that it automatically has a brilliantly written plot. To be fair though, Halo fanboys aren't as ridiculous as Fallout 3's whores, who are willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for a shitty Oblivion clone and shitty expansions.

Krisuts Said

Couldn't agree more. Though the combat-flow is much better than most FPS that I have played in the last 10 years.

Kristus Said

...and had it been made for PC instead of consoles it would've been mostly forgotten by now...

Except it was made for the PC (not made FOR, but ported to, with all the extra weapons and options and maps, about a year before Halo 2). Personally, I think the PC version is much better, but then, I grew up on doom and duke and quake, so I loves me some mouse and keyboard. I have large hands, so the XBox "fatty" (appropriately dubbed after the "micros" came out) always felt natural. To me, it feels like I actually have room to move my fingers about, rather than "FXX! I hit jump and melee... again." So that was never an issue for me.

To understand what bungie has been aiming for in FPS story, all one needs to do is download and play the Marathon series. The MJOLNIR armor, evil alien invaders versus a vastly outgunned and out-teched human civilization holding onto the shiny ray of hope that is the genetically engineered, rasied for pwning face by the military, top-secret experimental weapon/armor combo hero. Kinda makes me think of Japan and comics, mahself.

What got me into the game was it's deathmatch and co-op. My first experience with Halo (aside from getting pwnt in DM because I'd never played a console FPS in my life, so the whole "shoot things with a couple of thumbsticks to control you" idea really screwed me up at first) was going through co-op legendary, except I was the only person using their controller. My "friend" made me solo co-op, on legendary, without any instruction as to how to play the game at all, aside from shoot, nade, move, and look. Fuck the library.

I like Halo, the story is interesting, the graphics are pretty, the combat is exceptionally well-paced even if it is predictable, and the voice-acting is really good. Not to mention the characters are quite enjoyable. Forget that it's the same game Bungie has been pushing since the 90s, forget that it's just like all the other 10,000 FPS games out there. It hit the market at the right time (people were getting sick of sony and their playstation, the new ninhindoo rumors, I mean, seriously... wtf? and not to mention the sticker shock of the DC had finally worn off {oh how I love thee DC, lol windows "security"}), people were sick of upgrading their computers because there were no good console games, aside from Tekken and Soul Calibur, and here comes a console FPS that you can *gasp* actually play! No, seriously, have you tried any of the first person view games they had (rhetorical)? So all Halo did was be the Quake of the console world.

I'm not saying "Oh, it's the big boy on the block, cut it some slack." I'm saying, "don't hate it because microsoft and bungie had the good sense to release it at the right time". It's like people who hate Fable, or FF7 (I'm one of the latter, but for different reasons), sure, by RPG standards neither are great games (well, FF7 is a great game, but that's because 90% of Square's releases are great... so, really, it's just mediocre when compared with others in the series), but they did the right things at the right time and actually managed to expand their markets through good controls and gameplay, hence the appearance of wide-spread genre dominance. If you ask anyone who is a real fan of the genre, those "genre defining" games are really just slightly better than average.

As to Halo 2 and 3, I like Halo 2 because it felt like an expansion pack for Halo 1, with a graphics/model pack, and dual-weilding. What made Halo 2, in my opinion, was the deathmatch levels, and the sword. I absolutely love running through single player smacking grunts with my empty sword, not because I'm leet, but because it takes so many whacks and provokes dialog. Not to mention the introduction of skulls that unlock special features (my favorite is the "I would have been your daddy but the dog beat me over the fence" skull, extra dialog increases the replay value, for me at least, not to mention different dialog on different difficulty levels), and you have a fairly good game. It continued the feel of the game while looking different enough to warrant a new release.

Halo 3, was trash. If you like Halo 3, then, I'm sorry, you just fail. Were we playing the same game? Halo 3 was easier, except it had more running around, and more enemies. The brutes will never be as good an opponent as the elites (only because when elites hide behind crates their shields regenerate, making you waste more ammo on them), and the new vehicles were retarded. The new weapons sucked, the new vehicles sucked, the levels were prettier, but flowed worse than flood levels. And those new "special items"? Are you serious?

Halo 1 and 2 are fun games to play through, despite what visplane overflow has to say, if you are looking for a game that has decent action-flow. If you play through without level climbing or glitching out the event script (I played Halo 1 and 2... a lot...), the encounters are quite entertaining to go through, even if they are easy. It's like comparing Highlander (a movie that's more about story than action, but is an action movie) to Die Hard (an action movie where story is incidental). If you want "substance", watch Highlander, if you just want violence and explosions, watch Die Hard. If you want "substance", go play your FPS of choice, if you just want violence and explosions, play Halo.

Visplane Overflow Said

Now, map design was the only real failing of Halo, the multiplayer was actually fairly good and modding it made it suck less.

The maps were designed to make "unique" encounters while still looking pretty. If you're complaing about a lack of variety, have you looked at the world around you? Seriously, drive around your town and look at the buildings and the houses, and tell me there's a lot of variety. If you're talking about the encounters lacking variety, well, yeah, how many formations do you think there are going to be? Watch a football game and see how many times they use the same plays, over, and over, and over, and over again. If you watch sports at all, then you really shouldn't be complaining about a lack of variety in encounters. Bored of doing this same encounter the same way you did it the last 3 times you came upon it? Try a different way of beating it. Try sneaking around it. If you don't change your playstyle, and you just go for maximum kill efficiency, you're not going to find any games entertaining, except for multi-player games, because computer AI, in case you hadn't noticed, really isn't all that great. Regardless of how robust a script is, it's still only going to do what it's programmed to do, and if that enemy is programmed to jump up onto a crate and shoot those nice NPCs who were laying down cover fire (because they were programmed to) for you, then that's what it's going to do. If you're talking about a lack of interesting architecture, then I don't really know what to tell you there, the buildings do get exceptionally repetetive despite their odd architecture, and the constant use of it also diminishes their novelty, but, what do you expect? This is a ringworld built for specific purposes, by a specific civilization, do you think that they would care how pretty the architecture is for a prison/weapon system? I'm not saying your wrong for getting bored with it, I'm saying your wrong for thinking that trying to maintain realism is a fault of the designers. If you're looking for a surreal experience, I think Foreverhood is not a BAD game, I got kind of bored with it, but I'm not looking for the epitome of gaming... I've already played it, and it's called Omnicron or something like that, and it was on the dreamcast, and it sucks (it's a first person shooter, 3rd person action adventure, role-playing, platformer, racing, fighting, flying, puzzle, mystery game with magic, monsters, fantasy, and sci-fi. There is a tyrannical power, and a resistance group, and the idea behind the game is that the game steals your soul, and you must take over various characters bodies, in order to free your soul from the memory card). Google for games that bowie did the soundtrack for.

Visplane Overflow Said

To be fair though, Halo fanboys aren't as ridiculous as Fallout 3's whores, who are willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for a shitty Oblivion clone and shitty expansions.

You are aware that Fallout 3 was made by bethesda, using the oblivion engine with the only real tweaks to it being the addition of the VATS system (how many RPG gamers out there do you think play FPS competently, not to mention that the gun physics are dependant upon your skill with the particular engine you're using, so even if you do play them well, you still have WILD spray) and native xbox controller support (go on, plug in a 360 controller and play oblivion with it, after you're done changing the INI file, I'm going to recommend disabling joypad support and simply downloading Xpadder). Discounting Fallout because it uses the Oblivion engine is like saying some 80% of games since ~1995 are fail because they didn't build their games from the ground up.