Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

OBLIGE 3.47 Released

I'm happy to announce OBLIGE 3.47 has been released. This version has a larger, more readable GUI window, separate buttons to control monster quantity and toughness, more DOOM themes (Urban and Hell), and a bunch of new modules, plus many tweaks and fixes.

LINK: http://oblige.sourceforge.net/

Big thanks goes to Enhas and Chris who have contributed a lot to this release, including new code, theme stuff and heaps of testing.

I'm not sure exactly what I'll work on next, but the amount of monsters in each room is one apsect I'm quite dissatisfied with and will tackle soon. Plus there is some preliminary code for making caves which will be fun to work on.

CHANGES (since v3.43)
- new GUI layout, more room for modules
- GUI uses larger fonts in higher resolutions
- new 'Strength' button (for monsters)
- new 'Progressive' choice for monster numbers
- more choices for the 'Outdoors' button
- levels are somewhat smaller
- reinstated Co-op mode

- worked on a new theme system
- new URBAN and HELL themes for DOOM games
- preliminary work on Strife and HacX
- preliminary work on Chex Quest 3 (courtesy Enhas)
- further work on Quake (better BSP algorithms etc)
- fixed some texture glitches and sky gaps

New modules:
- Monster Control for DOOM
- Weapon Control for DOOM
- Stealth Monsters : Fine Control (thanks Enhas)
- ZDoom Marines : Fine Control (Enhas)
- Skulltag : Fine Control (Enhas)
- Level Control (Enhas)
- ZDoom Beastiary (Mr Chris)

Note that while Chris's PK3 makes it much easier, it is not strictly necessary. You can simply enable one or two of the Beastiary monsters and make sure to drag-n-drop the corresponding wads along with the output of OBLIGE.

For fun start a map with Wolfenstain theme, ask Oblige to make it large, always outdoor, lotsa health and ammo, many barrels, and only marines as enemies (be sure just not to put neither fist marines nor railgun ones). Play this on skulltag survival with friends for extreme fun.

BTW, I think the "mix it up" feature on themes and indoor/outdoor could be customizable so you can ask oblige to mix it up between all options, or just a couple you marked. As a sample, mix it up between "always outdoor and heaps of outdoor", and so on.

This is great fun. Thank you! Have you changed the sky generation? It seems to generate even nicer skies than before.

jute said:

This is great fun. Thank you! Have you changed the sky generation? It seems to generate even nicer skies than before.

If 40oz chimes in here or on the Oblige forums, you could ask him about it.

andrewj said:I'm not sure exactly what I'll work on next, but the amount of monsters in each room is one apsect I'm quite dissatisfied with and will tackle soon.[/B]

Does this mean more monsters per room?

andrewj said:

Note that while Chris's PK3 makes it much easier, it is not strictly necessary. You can simply enable one or two of the Beastiary monsters and make sure to drag-n-drop the corresponding wads along with the output of OBLIGE.

I think it is neccessary since some of the DECORATE entries of the monsters on Realm667 have no thingid, which is what I added so Oblige can place them.

The next version I am adding more monsters, namely the Freezer zombie, mech Demon and Hades Elemental will be the next in line, aside reactivating the Roach, Rocket Zombie Marine and Shadow which I did not get around adding back into V3.

A little showcase of what this beauty can do.
http://www.mediafire.com/?dnwnomemmzj

It's designed to be played on survival with a pair of friends and at least 3 lives for each, and crouch on.

The name is an "asd" name inspired in the mood you have to get to play this, it's translation would be "waaaaaaaaarXDDD".

jute said:

Have you changed the sky generation? It seems to generate even nicer skies than before.

I don't think so, although 3.43 had some new colors by 40oz in it.

For some some reason I tend to remember the skies as being quite crappy, but being a bit impressed to see them again, maybe that explains it.

Does this mean more monsters per room?

No I mean the ratio of monsters in each room is currently fixed, and that it should vary more (see the top of TODO.txt for more info).

gun psycho said:

I wonder if it's actually possible to add more beastiary options like, say, Thamuz and Dark Avatar?

You could try it yourself, edit the file mods/zdoom_beastiary.lua, pick one monster and replace it with new data everywhere.

Mr Chris said:

I think it is neccessary since some of the DECORATE entries of the monsters on Realm667 have no thingid, which is what I added so Oblige can place them.

That's weird, if the monsters have no thingid how are people expected to use them in their maps?

Vegeta said:

BTW, I think the "mix it up" feature on themes and indoor/outdoor could be customizable so you can ask oblige to mix it up between all options, or just a couple you marked

Too hard to code. A module could do it though (I plan to write a modding guide soon).

Might there be a chance on options to make a full game similar in theme like the IWADs (TECH for 1-11, URBAN for 12-20, HELL using 21-30, while E1-E2 use mostly TECH (E1 was all TECH btw with E2 straggling with bits of HELL in it), HELL for E3 and HELL/CAVE for E4)?

Let's see some more screenshots! (besides the one on the homepage, which looks pretty good btw; I'm not at home right now.)

This screenshot is pretty nice.

Also, IMO, Hell is not hellish enough. Lava show flow freely and it should have more red rock. It's a bit gothic at the moment and less hellish. Also the red satyr face spitting blood has been used were there is no blood below.

I have a modified doom.lua that adds further variation to the HELL and TECH themes if anyone's interested..

Clicky

I think an Episode 4 theme would be a good addition. Perhaps that could fall under "Gothic" if there were both Gothic and Hell themes.

Does anyone remember Slige's special blue theme? I always liked that a lot. Blue is underused in Doom.

wow! this is really badass! I mean, especially for beginner and pro mappers, you can generate a random map(s) and go back with doombuilder and edit them, change around and add more details or just whatever, but I can see this helping out a lot! Its also just great fun to play around with, but I see this affecting future mapping for doom projects, generate a random map and go back in and edit with doombuilder.

Dee said:

I see this affecting future mapping for doom projects, generate a random map and go back in and edit with doombuilder.

I think a new kind of editor is possible, one which allows the user to implement the parts they want to make, and the rest can be randomly generated (within certain parameters).

However it's not really something that interests me right now.

Indeed, when it gets to that point, it should speed up doom projects ten fold. Eliminates mappers block also, however... losing creativity

Yes, I already have seen two users on this site have used an Oblige map as a base to build a map off of it.

A great thing about this project, it also does great with testing new weapon mods and the like as well... oh and I like that it's possible to make the thing generate nintendo hard maps.

I have a lot of fun with that, gun_psycho. I tend to choose hordes and either medium or weak for monster strength, especially if you tweaked the quantities setting of one of the main LUA files...it's just chaotic for 400-600 monsters in map sized "regular".

Almost all the inconsistancies of Oblige using Doom2 textures in Doom1 maps (thus causing the program to use METAL texture in place of them) has been eliminated over at the forums but there will be more work later on.

gun_psycho said:

Does anyone know what the BIG_ROOM_TABLE numbers mean? I'm asking because I've taken a liking to big rooms.

The numbers in [] are the size, e.g. [23] is a big room which is 2 normal rooms wide and 3 normal rooms high. Don't change them.

The other numbers are probabilities, increase them to make bigger rooms more likely.

I know I'm late to the Oblige party and I am necroposting, but this is a fantastic programs. I play a total conversion from Oblige a day :-) I've found my favorite mix is plenty of zombies so I can mow them down. Progressive, weak monsters, so I don't end up fighting waves of Barons sprinkled with Arch Viles.

I think the tech theme is the best one with Urban at a close second.

Now I'm loading up the "expansion" that someone uploaded :-)

There's just one thing... I can't get the "options" button to work.

As for other theme ideas:
- Marble madness (green marble)
- Mountain Caves (red caves, grey rock mountains)
- Gothic (doesn't that mean tall and dark?)