Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Peter Heinemann

if u have mac cds...

If you have any Macintosh CDs, you want at least look into (of course you cannot run any Mac apps on your PC under Windows), here is a tool:

So you can grab pics, .mpg and sound from these CDs. Or just image, you got a Doom or Hexen CD cheap and it is a Mac CD, you could at least get the .WAD file.

It´s a freeware aplication called "HFVExplorer" that allows to get access to Macintosh volumes under Windows. Here is the link:

http://axel.findling.bei.t-online.de/mirror/HFVExplorer/hdexp131setup.exe

its 1 MB

description is here:
http://axel.findling.bei.t-online.de/mirror/HFVExplorer/

For interchangable media (zip or jazz floppys), better make them "write protect" before you insert them into your PC - just for safety :)

I don´t know why the app is called "HFVExplorer", since the Mac uses the „HFS“ and this stands for "Hierarchical File Sytem“. Anyway, it is good and it works.

I've been meaning to have a look at my Mac disk that came with id anthology, but the limited access I had to a Mac has gone completely.

Downloading that util now...

I use a PC, I use Mac's at school. ONE DAY I WILL HA><0r DEEP INTO THEM AND SHUT THEM DOWN. I infected the Mac's at school with a virus, I put it right in the fucking network administors computer. So it spread and *boom* all comps = dead. A few hundred thousand of your taxes into my school getting new computers, and would you belive it? They put the administration computer right fucking there, in the same spot, and they still got Mac's! ROFLMAO! /me prepares to do it again

I would like to know why the forum software always shortens the text in the toppic line, grrrr :/

That happens when you edit posts. It removes things like "you", "if", "then", "do", "an"; probably gets them confused with PHP code and takes them as instructions :P

is "you" a PHP instruction?

Could be some obscure keyword that helps generating these buggy forums

It worked, thanks.

Shame there was nothing particularly new or exciting on the disk.

Cheers.

I've been meaning to have a look at my Mac disk that came with id anthology, but the limited access I had to a Mac has gone completely.

Downloading that util now...

That´s a good idea, Enjay. I also have the Id Anthology.
The Mac CD additionally holds the folder (sorry: "Directory") "Maximum Doom", those 3000 WADs that came with the "Master Levels". This cannot be found on the PC native CDs.

Look into the folder "Maximum Doom". 3000 more wads for you, not bad, eh? Some of them cannot be found elsewhere I was told.

Plus, if you have a Mac emulator, look at the Mac version of "Wolfenstein 3D". This is far better than the blocky PC version and especially the sounds kick ass (has also new weapons, like the flamethrower).

I use a PC, I use Mac's at school. ONE DAY I WILL HA><0r DEEP INTO THEM AND SHUT THEM DOWN. I infected the Mac's at school with a virus, I put it right in the fucking network administors computer. So it spread and *boom* all comps = dead. A few hundred thousand of your taxes into my school getting new computers, and would you belive it? They put the administration computer right fucking there, in the same spot, and they still got Mac's! ROFLMAO! /me prepares to do it again

Bullshit. Macs can't be virused. They may suck, but they can't be virused.

Mac Wolf might look better but the actor sprites only have one angle, for example.

The Mac CD additionally holds the folder (sorry: "Directory") "Maximum Doom", those 3000 WADs that came with the "Master Levels". This cannot be found on the PC native CDs."

Ah, in that case perhaps there is something new and interesting there. I only had a quick glance at that folder (sic) and assumed I already had the contents.

On the Wolf stuff, It'd be nice if there was a PC tool that could examine the Mac Wolf resources. I only found out recently that the Mac Wolf sprites were only drawn from one angle (thanks to NiGHTMARE -IIRC- on the Zdoom forum), but there must be something in the files that would be of use somewhere. Don't suppose anyone knows of a way to do this without a Mac?

edit: Or is there a good mac emulator, that doesn't involve a huge download that would let me run the mac stuff (I suspect not).

On the Wolf stuff, It'd be nice if there was a PC tool that could examine the Mac Wolf resources. I only found out recently that the Mac Wolf sprites were only drawn from one angle (thanks to NiGHTMARE -IIRC- on the Zdoom forum), but there must be something in the files that would be of use somewhere.

I'm not sure, but I remember the resources in the Mac version being a MUCH higher detail than the PC version, everything from sprites to wall textures to the fact that you could set some pretty high resolutions.

The Mac CD additionally holds the folder (sorry: "Directory") "Maximum Doom", those 3000 WADs that came with the "Master Levels". This cannot be found on the PC native CDs."

Ah, in that case perhaps there is something new and interesting there. I only had a quick glance at that folder (sic) and assumed I already had the contents.

On the Wolf stuff, It'd be nice if there was a PC tool that could examine the Mac Wolf resources. I only found out recently that the Mac Wolf sprites were only drawn from one angle (thanks to NiGHTMARE -IIRC- on the Zdoom forum), but there must be something in the files that would be of use somewhere. Don't suppose anyone knows of a way to do this without a Mac?

edit: Or is there a good mac emulator, that doesn't involve a huge download that would let me run the mac stuff (I suspect not).

Yup, there is Baselisk 2, which is open source.

http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bauec002/B2Main.html

You still need an operating system and guess what? MacOS 7.5 is available free on Apple´s site. So you will not have to search for pirated stuff. You will also need a rom image from a working macintosh, not the problem :) Would also be interesting for using "Hellmaker", which is a great looking and very easy to operate Wad editor.

Well, the download for Basilisk II looks easy enough. In fact I looked into emulators a while back. IIRC the size of the other downloads were the problem. I'd be old and grey by the time my slow modem got it all.

I do have an old Mac IIci sitting here. There is no CD drive, but otherwise I think it works. Maybe I could get a drive for it, or just pick up a cheap 2nd hand Mac. Out of curiosity I've been meaning to do so for a while anyway.

Unhealthy obsessions with macs should be seen and not heard. NOT made into songs and sold as cd's :)But that's what's happened, Californian John Swerdan has made a folk album all about his precious mac, you listening Peter? :)
Songs on the $15 cd include "Startup/hard drive" with such sad lyrics as... "Poor , sad Mac, born in a plastic age. A time when the world still thought in beige...An orphan, abandoned. It's enough to break your heart" :) (groan)
samples
better music from shaggy and Ali-G :)

He's obviously lying. BBG is surely NOT smart enough to pull off such a task no matter what OS it uses.

Untrue Poindexter. They can so be "virused."

Mac Virus FAQ

Even Linux can be "virused." True, they are more rare than Windows viruses but they do exist.

I have a mac and they don't suck! All they need is to have some good DOOM editors ported to them.

I also have Macs and they don´t suck! How true :)

"Hellmaker" is a wonderful editor (I know that some diehard PC user here use to use a Mac emulator to run Hellmaker, but my mouth is sealed :). Still missing on the Mac is a good sprite editor, "Deimos" does not seem to work properly (for me), so we Mac users still have to run PC emulations for sprite editing - mrrr, I could live with it... if nothing helps.

He's obviously lying. BBG is surely NOT smart enough to pull off such a task no matter what OS it uses.

Yes, because pulling off a task like that obviously requires great intelligence and cunning.

Any virus that takes skill to set into effect just isn't much of a virus. ROFL :P

I like my mac, and would way rather use it than a pc. I'll probably end up buying a PC and keeping the iMac if i can. As for level editors, hellmaker does pretty much everything i want to do in vanilla doom/2. What we could really use is a spriting or texturing program. BTW, does anyone with a mac know wtf is wrong with "The DOOMinator"? i can't get it to run at all, and therefor can't use dehacked stuff.

I like my mac, and would way rather use it than a pc. I'll probably end up buying a PC and keeping the iMac if i can. As for level editors, hellmaker does pretty much everything i want to do in vanilla doom/2. What we could really use is a spriting or texturing program. BTW, does anyone with a mac know wtf is wrong with "The DOOMinator"? i can't get it to run at all, and therefor can't use dehacked stuff.

About Doominator, that is a pretty simple application. Just put it into your MacDoomII folder (it does not run with MacUltimateDoom). It must be within the folder that holds the MacDoomII application. Than run it and type "Command" + "p" (for "Apply Patch"). Select the .deh file of your choise (it does not have to have the .deh suffix). When Doominator works on the .deh, it will print out various messages on your screen, in red colour, like: "Cannot pharse..." Ignore them. Than quit "Command" + "q". On quit, it will ask you to save and name the modified copy of MacDoomII. You can give it every name you want.