Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

Whispers of Satan RELEASED!

I've finished nine levels of this wad so far. It is truly an amazing piece of work, and it's a shame pcorf makes so many jokewads because this is better than ten thousand Spacias or New Adventures. The architecture is great, the texture usage almost faultless, and the gameplay is exciting while retaining a classic feel instead of relying on slaughtermap gameplay (a style I intensely dislike).

The music is certainly different from Paul's previous work, much moodier and gloomier, and more consistent in theme and feel. While there's something to be said for the oddball charm of the music in 2002: A Doom Odyssey, it was kind of distracting for the music to suddenly burst into some goofy little motif out of nowhere (there was one such track, I think for 2002ADO's "Halls of Ebola" map, that started out as dark and almost funereal and ended up devolving into something out of Looney Tunes). The music in WOS is great and contributes to the atmosphere of the wad.

I would agree that map06 is comparatively weak (although in such an elite mapset even the weak maps are pretty good), but map07 more than makes up for it, especially the absolutely kickass music.

Woolie Wool said:

The music is certainly different from Paul's previous work, much moodier and gloomier, and more consistent in theme and feel. While there's something to be said for the oddball charm of the music in 2002: A Doom Odyssey, it was kind of distracting for the music to suddenly burst into some goofy little motif out of nowhere (there was one such track, I think for 2002ADO's "Halls of Ebola" map, that started out as dark and almost funereal and ended up devolving into something out of Looney Tunes). The music in WOS is great and contributes to the atmosphere of the wad.

I will agree about the slight "Looney Toonsish" type of sound that came out of some of 2002ados music...but the parts that were not like that, were probably some of the best music I've heard for a wad, and they helped fit the mood pretty well.

I enjoyed this. Thanks Kristian and Paul. :)

I have one problem though ( well two ).

Map 24 sector 723 should not have been a secret IMO. I say this because to progress and finish the level the player has to get to this sector regardless. An area vital to completion should not be well hidden.

Map 31 ... The floor flat for sector 272 probably should have been sw010 and the ceiling flat for sector 151 probably should have been sw013

I'm up to map16 now, and maps 35 and 34 are an example of why Paul Corfiatis should not make jokewads. Gamarra references, impse, hordes of cyberdemons, 1994 architecture...why would you put these two horrible maps in an otherwise well-executed and professional megawad? Some of the gags were old when Mock 2 came out. At least the Dark Forces-themed map31 was excellent.

Woolie Wool said:

I'm up to map16 now, and maps 35 and 34 are an example of why Paul Corfiatis should not make jokewads. Gamarra references, impse, hordes of cyberdemons, 1994 architecture...why would you put these two horrible maps in an otherwise well-executed and professional megawad? Some of the gags were old when Mock 2 came out. At least the Dark Forces-themed map31 was excellent.

To be honest you really should not be playing those super secret maps until you have finished WOS. And please comment more on the real maps.

I may remove the credits map and 35 from the wad completely via next release. Secret exit in 32 hmm, where will it take you to, perhaps nowhere?

hawkwind said:

I enjoyed this. Thanks Kristian and Paul. :)

I have one problem though ( well two ).

Map 24 sector 723 should not have been a secret IMO. I say this because to progress and finish the level the player has to get to this sector regardless. An area vital to completion should not be well hidden.

Map 31 ... The floor flat for sector 272 probably should have been sw010 and the ceiling flat for sector 151 probably should have been sw013

I have written those notes down for the next release.

I may also remove MAP33 (now MAP36 The credits level) and 35. Leaving only 1994 revisited and the original MAP06 (now as MAP33) in.

EDIT: Secret exit in 32 could take you to 1994 revisited.

Woolie Wool said:

and it's a shame pcorf makes so many jokewads

Jokewads no more.

Map33 and Map35 are probably going to get axed from the next release of WOS. I had mental sickness and depression from 2005-2007.

pcorf said:

To be honest you really should not be playing those super secret maps until you have finished WOS. And please comment more on the real maps.

I may remove the credits map and 35 from the wad completely via next release. Secret exit in 32 hmm, where will it take you to, perhaps nowhere?

If you don't want people seeing the super secret maps until the end, why do you put the super-secret exit in map32 instead of map30? After all, it's only affects ZDoom so you can put it on any map you want.

As for why I brought them up, well, they reflect poorly on WOS by being there on a megawad that also contains classics like Death Alley and Undervilla.

Now, back to the "real maps", map16 is easily the best map I've ever seen from you. The dank, dismal atmosphere is so powerful I can almost smell the mold and the music is haunting. It's creepy. It's spooky. It's ooky. It's awesome.

Jokewads no more.

Map33 and Map35 are probably going to get axed from the next release of WOS. I had mental sickness and depression from 2005-2007.

Yay! Sorry about the mental sickness though. That had to be awful.

Woolie Wool said:

I would agree that map06 is comparatively weak (although in such an elite mapset even the weak maps are pretty good), but map07 more than makes up for it, especially the absolutely kickass music.

Haha, the music is all original. Gives WOS that true atmosphere. To be honest I'm sick of hearing the same old music in wads from ROTT, Blood, etc here. We needed something completely original. MAP07 music was the last song composed for WOS and I wanted to give it an industrial feel and I must say I was very happy by the way the MAP07 song turned out.

I've received many negative comments about MAP06 due to "S word" and copy and paste. It too is getting dumped from the next release and getting replaced by an all new and much better MAP06 which is of a similar theme (underground base) but has a more overlapping layout. The original MAP06 will become a secret level (MAP33) accessible from a secret switch in MAP05. I also thought about replacing MAP09 with a new level but decided later on it will stay.

MAP18 is another level that concerned me with the S word but I think its okay. At least the music gives that map some real drive.

Woolie Wool said:

If you don't want people seeing the super secret maps until the end, why do you put the super-secret exit in map32 instead of map30? After all, it's only affects ZDoom so you can put it on any map you want.

As for why I brought them up, well, they reflect poorly on WOS by being there on a megawad that also contains classics like Death Alley and Undervilla.

Now, back to the "real maps", map16 is easily the best map I've ever seen from you. The dank, dismal atmosphere is so powerful I can almost smell the mold and the music is haunting. It's creepy. It's spooky. It's ooky. It's awesome.

Yay! Sorry about the mental sickness though. That had to be awful.

I'm a much happier person these days. Life is coming along much better. I just want to get the pcorf of old out of me by forgetting about the bad, and aiming for the good.

There is no doubt that MAP16 is beautiful in every respect. One of my personal favorites of all time. And the music.... oh yes scary!

Woolie Wool said:

why do you put the super-secret exit in map32 instead of map30?

In the current release. The super secret exit in MAP32 takes you to MAP35.

Another secret exit in MAP35 takes you to MAP34.

In the next release the super secret exit in MAP32 will likely take you to MAP34 instead.

pcorf said:

Jokewads no more.

Personally I thought map35 was funny,I busted up laughing what I found in a secret area of the map(not saying whats in there since that would spoil it). Besides sometimes I find it alright in my book to have a little humor in a serious megawad but hey thats my opinion on it.

Edit:also sorry about the depression you had years ago :(

As a whole, the Hexen-styled part of the game is my favorite so far. The Hexen rock textures rarely show up in Doom and they look really good the way they are used in these maps. Undervilla is the best, although Cryosleep is pretty great too.

I'm on map21 now, I'll play the rest tomorrow.

You can play map 33 and and 34 with the latest version of prboom plus. They'll crash if you exit them. You'll die in map35. It seems that the megahealth isn't applied when damage is done to voodoo dolls.

How do you reach the BFG9000 on MAP10 (behind the yellow door)? I searched around and couldn't find a way of lowering the platform or teleporting up.

Tokokoko said:

How do you reach the BFG9000 on MAP10 (behind the yellow door)? I searched around and couldn't find a way of lowering the platform or teleporting up.

Just before the final exit room in the far south of the map there is a secret teleporter that can be opened. Notice the different stone texture. The door is 180 degrees opposite.

Just finished it! Map28 was an absolutely incredible map, one of the best hell maps ever created. I stopped many times while playing it just to stand around and stare at the architecture. I like the little nails holding all the fleshy bits on the floor in place.

Map30 is kind of an anticlimax though. All those spiderdemons, archies, and cybers, and...a boss brain you can just walk up to and blow away. Is the blue sky in the scene in map30 with the spectres and that ring of megaliths some sort of portal or something? It reminds me strongly of the Combine super-portal in Half-Life 2.

Kudos to you and Kristian, this is the best megawad that I've played in years.

Coldfusio said:

You can play map 33 and and 34 with the latest version of prboom plus. They'll crash if you exit them. You'll die in map35. It seems that the megahealth isn't applied when damage is done to voodoo dolls.

Even Vanilla Doom can play Maps33-35. But it crashes when you try to exit any map above 32 due the the code that chooses the CWILVx graphic only supporting up to 32 maps.

I'm a bit short on time these days, so I have only made it around half way through this megawad, and basically I've enjoyed every minute of it. Gonna play it on nightmare with friends in coop mode next weeked. :)
Thank you so much for spending so much time and effort into making this masterpiece.

pcorf said:

Just before the final exit room in the far south of the map there is a secret teleporter that can be opened. Notice the different stone texture. The door is 180 degrees opposite.

Cheers dude found it! BTW great Megawad!!! :)

Also on MAP31 could you please tell me how to get the hidden Megasphere next to the "YOU R HERE" sign near the start? :)

pcorf said:

It wont be going into the trash. Instead it will become a secret level (as MAP33). New MAP06 will be somewhat similar to the old one, mostly underground.

Wait... what'll happen to the old MAP33? Althought MAP35 seems to fill that role quite nicely...

Twinzen said:

I'm a bit short on time these days, so I have only made it around half way through this megawad, and basically I've enjoyed every minute of it. Gonna play it on nightmare with friends in coop mode next weeked. :)
Thank you so much for spending so much time and effort into making this masterpiece.

It might be a good idea to skip MAP29. Its not very good in co-op mode. But I'm working around this problem for the next release.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

Wait... what'll happen to the old MAP33? Althought MAP35 seems to fill that role quite nicely...

New MAP06 is coming along very nicely, about 60% done. My computer is though getting some minor repairs done to it but it should be back in the next day or two. I'm typing this on another computer.

The plan for the next release has been finalized.

New MAP06 (all new map)
MAP06 to MAP33 (Enjoy your symmetry in secret fashion)
MAP33 to MAP35
MAP34 leave it
MAP35 delete
MAP05 with secret exit to MAP33 (modified with permission from Kristian)
MAP29 to be fixed for co-op

Expect the new release sometime in late October

bullsquid said:

How do i do to play this with risen3d?
its the only source port i use and it wont show up in archives list

Huh ? What version of R3D are you using ? I just tested for this now and all was well for me. Is WOS.zip in your R3DArchives folder ? Actually, this pwad runs better with Risen3D if you use the "Add a remote pwad or archive to the UDIR folder" button and you rebuild the normal and gl nodes.

WOS will then run (nearly ) error free. The next version of Risen3D will run this error free. They are only very minor errors ATM anyway.

I played this pwad all the way with Risen3D.

I have never tried this in Risen 3D. But apparently it seems to work!

New MAP06 is progressing slowly.

The level will be named "Processing Bunker" .

I have just finished this yesterday.

Ok, It was a bit of a rushed playthrough, I didn't find one secret level or anything, But I will go and have another playthrough, a little more relaxed this time.

Thanks so much pcorf and nebula-kristian for all your work (and anyone else involved.) Wonderful stuff. The difficulty managed to progress really nicely without having to resort to turning into slaughtermaps in the later levels. I thought the maps in general could have been a little tougher on UV, but this is a pretty minor thing. This mapset was quality all the way through, and I really enjoyed it a lot.

Maps that really stood out to me:

04: Lost Beacon
05: Pumping Station 038A
17: Mines of Despair
25: Vulcana

(This is far from a complete list.)

Thanks again guys. Neat stuff!

I'm about a quarter of the way through this megawad and I'm very pleased with it so far! Excellent work all around! Sounds like the rest of it is pretty sweet too.