Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArmouredBlood

A copy/paste slaughter map

A while ago gggmork made 2 copy/paste maps, slaughter style. I beat the first one, but got annoyed at the length of the second. And for a time I forgot about it. But then I got bored with looking for inspiration for area42 and decided I wanted to make a MARBLE themed map. And randomly decided to copy/paste a large courtyard area. Because of this it made a nice slaughter base, so I went ahead and made it, and tweaked some bits to get some keys in and a nice final slaughter section. I've gone all the way to the red key switch and beaten it in skulltag, but haven't tested farther since because I made some changes to the end (first there were 2 cyberdemons and arch-viles off the exit but it was easy to run past them, and almost nothing between the switch and the exit.).

tl;dr: I made a copy/paste MARBLE slaughter map, which I haven't tested the end of, have fun :P

http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/AB.MS.zip

Looks fun, but one common enemy-teleport bug is having deaf enemies (mastermind in this case) floor scroll to warp (if any enemy or the player are blocking its teleport destination, it'll skip the warp line and remain dormant/unkillable outside the map). I'd just connect its sector with the rest of the map somehow to make it walk to a warp itself (or scrolling can work if you have a 2nd repeatable warp line that catches it in case it misses and warps back to the start to retry the first warp line over and over). Still I like the former better because now you could potentially have a deaf enemy warped in so might have an exploit to not shoot so it never wakes up. Also might help to quickly slap a simple red/blue/yellow indicator texture on the doors if you want.

ugh, I was sure I made one sector connecting to the mastermind's box merged with an early sector, but it seems DB2 automatically corrected my shenanigans -.- I'll upload the fix with a demo if I can.

P.S. there are banners over the door, but I guess they aren't very indicative of which key the door requires. I'll put some skull poles up too.

Heh, maybe a little inspiration but it was my own copy/pasta.

Did a demo, zipped it with the new version. Unfortunately I did it AFTER I made the fixes, so no skull poles here -.- the mastermind warped in fine afaik, in the last run anyway. I had so much fun and had so much adrenaline racing in that last one, I almost had it but decided to go back and try to get more ammo before tackling the last res'd section. Unfortunately I got a little (more like a lot) side-tracked and got splattered >.< Be an awesome vid on youtube if I could work out video editing.

http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/AB.MSv2.zip

EDIT: oops, put the demo in twice, just renamed it -.-

EDIT2: timed my demos, apparently it's about 43 minutes long, either 7-8 runs (had to drop off sister at school during most of the last run unfortunately), and the longest run is about 21 minutes (last one).

So
run____time
1______5min
2______7min
3______2min
4______2min
5______2min
6______4min
7/8?___21min

EDIT3: heh, watched it in -fastdemo mode, with 600+ fps it's rather entertaining x)

In prboomplus go: options/setup/keybindings/(press right to last page)/see what keys you have for speed up or speed down, to slow/speed demo play. Also you can fiddle with the hud view until you see data like total time.

I got 15:58 uvmax (on version with skullkey textures):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/x1talf
I used hud at end to verify max (yep 1 straggler)
A quicker route would maybe be to go to the bfg asap but its riskier.

EDIT: I think you have to rename that file and put '.lmp' on the end or it won't work.. I forgot.. or actually maybe the '.' in 'ab.ms' somehow screwed it up.

Wow, leaving the plasma gun that close made that a lot easier, especially not shooting until something got in the way. The hardest parts for me were getting to the plasma gun and getting to the exit after flipping the switch, so getting one down easier is nice.

Also, somewhere you can check something that lets you see the extensions in filenames, which you can then rename. It's useful to have on, I just can't remember where it is >.<

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nadv57 - UV-Max in 7:46

Thought I'd take a shot at the level using the latest version available. Going for the BFG as quickly as possible was my game plan here. Higher chance of failure on this route, but can make a huge difference in time when it works.

Fun map to blast through quickly.

O.o I knew getting the bfg fast would make it faster but nearly half the time? geez. And 20 plus tries to get this ... how much time do you guys spend speedrunning a day? Must be cause it's the weekend -.-

Anyway awesome run. For this map I wasn't exactly planning it on having great speedrunning routes since I kind of wanted some nice slaughter action, but I guess I left a bit too much room between mobs :P Beats hammering at things with the SSG though.

nice run/route.

I probably need more attempts than most since I don't use a mouse.. but I have an advantage of having no life. In some runs I've probably done a hundred or so attempts (like hell revealed 26) but often many of the attempts are short repeated fails at the start.