Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ArmouredBlood

Desert/canyon/brick textures/flats

I've never done this type of thing but wanted to see if I could get a texture to tesselate for the hell of it. I started with some wicker texture I pulled from google images, then just did your first image only (so both should blend fairly seamlessly side to side/up and down if put on an enormous wall for example).
http://img62.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=brkwal.png

Not really sure what I'm doing but I just opened it in paint and resized to 64x128 or whatever. Which looks like:

abcd
efgh
ijkl
mnop
Then I cut off the top and put on the bottom like:
ijkl
mnop
abcd
efgh
(because you already know that 'efgh' runs smoothly to 'ijkl'. Right now 'mnop' and 'abcd' won't likely fit perfectly together though (but its surprisingly easy to make them blend together, even in paint, just by altering pixels. For the bricks it probably would have mostly worked even if I left it alone.
Then I just did the same thing for left/right.

EDIT: actually that brick one isn't that great now that I look at it copy/pasted. I didn't test it enough (and didn't spend much time on it).

This brik is better (still those 2 kinda large slanted bricks makes it look funny repeated). You don't have to use this of course, I'm just messing around:
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3013/brkwal.png

Well it looked ok, vertically and repeating, but put it against a cyberdemon and player sprite ... it doesn't look anywhere near proportional. I'll mess around with these too, I was checking if there had been some made already that were fine to use. I should probably check /idgames too then.

Resized your one, and made a flat to go with it somewhat. Here's a pic of them together. Unfortunately I had a few problems getting the poles to align right, so they now have that funky light/dark transition that stands out so much.

Here are the resized texture and flat.
flat
texture