Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Starke Von Oben

Return To Wolfendoom

I was really inspired by Captain Toenail's Nazi pack, and thought it would be cool to make my own Wolfenstein type mod. The architecture as you can see is based heavily on RTCW, and I've been painstakingly converting RTCW textures into the Doom format (it's not simply a case of loading the doom palette, since they are far too dark).

Here is the result of what I've come up with so far. I've slightly changed the graphics from the original Nazis do the more authentic Whermacht uniforms (taken from the same source as Toenail at the Wolfenstein 3D dome). I've also including sprites from various sprite based FPS, from Blood to Hexen/Heretic.

As you probably know I'm rather new to Doom editing and this will be on the standard Zdoom port. As you can see from the screenshot the graphics work together together nicely:

http://img195.imageshack.us/i/screenshotyu.jpg/

I'm just toying around with the idea right now, with no formal plan as of yet. I'll first remake the original 1st level of Wolfenstein 3D with jazzed up architecture as a demonstration wad, just to see how it will turn out. I also think this could serve me as a "tutorial mod", to try out all the new editing techniques I'm acquiring.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Sieg heil!

This looks good from the screenshot. I was honestly expecting another "wolfensteined" Doom episode upon reading the thread's title, but this is something completely different.

Well, keep us informed.

I do like the looks of this; this is probably what Return to Castle Wolfenstein might have looked like had they made it in 1995.

Thank you both.

As I said, I'm new to all of this so when the demo is made don't expect any spectacular scripting just yet. I'm currently working on Hubs to try and interchange between the outside of the Castle and the interior, since I'm not using Gzdoom and so don't have 3D floors.

I do know what you mean regarding other Wolf3D mods. I've always been struck how people haven't fully utilized the Doom engine to it's potential, merely creating Wolf3D style levels on Doom (which are boring and repetitive).

Right now I'm just experimenting with architecture and room placement, since I want the level to have a unified feel while at the same time looking varied from room to room.

It does look very nice. Though I think the scale of the environment is about 2 times too big for the Nazi’s.

For instance, that 128x128 suit of armour should be about the same size as the 64x64 guards, not double.

But then, the surrounding sectors would have to be shortened as well...

I'd just upscale (with Decorate) the guards a little bit, so they're as tall as the Doom zombieman (Doom monsters are taller than Wolf guards because of how high the player viewport is in those games).

There are some nice new Nazi sprites in this week's newstuff that might look a little better than what you're using right now for those particular environments. I'll give ya a link when I get off work :D

printz said:

But then, the surrounding sectors would have to be shortened as well...

I'd just upscale (with Decorate) the guards a little bit, so they're as tall as the Doom zombieman (Doom monsters are taller than Wolf guards because of how high the player viewport is in those games).

I've done just that:

http://img12.imageshack.us/i/screenshotph.jpg/

Thoughts?

I don't really want to lower the ceiling heights since everything becomes too cramped. I tried resizing the textures to match, and it just looked very claustrophobic!

You could get a lot of mileage out of creating a new custom player class - from there you can also increase the height (both view and physical) of your player, so that your eyes don't line up with the Nazi's stomachs. That should fix the scaling issues you're having.

WildWeasel said:

so that your eyes don't line up with the Nazi's stomachs.

That can just be adjusted by precise scaling. But in fact in quite a few shooter games (like wolf) and especially TCs it happens that the player looks up on enemies. Why exactly... So they appear more serious and intimidating, or to accommodate a child playing the game, due to similar height difference?

WildWeasel said:

You could get a lot of mileage out of creating a new custom player class - from there you can also increase the height (both view and physical) of your player, so that your eyes don't line up with the Nazi's stomachs. That should fix the scaling issues you're having.

How does one go about that? What lumps need to be made?

Starke Von Oben said:

How does one go about that? What lumps need to be made?

Check your PM's; I'm online on MSN right now and could really help you out with this project.

I'm of the opinion that we can improve the enemy sprites by increasing their actual size to 128*128, improve the shading and then scale them down with Zdoom. I experimented with this earlier using a single sprite frame and the results were pretty neat, plus it would make more sense and would reduce the blockiness.

This is looking really neat. It does, as WW said, look like RtCW if it had been made in '95. Also, I agree with the stuff that WW has been saying about size and scaling etc.

This mod is looking really nice so far. I love that shot of the nazis in formation like that. Keep this up and I think you'll have quite a classic on your hands.

Watch out to make them fast moving or less likely to infight (or better, not infight at all) because such a formation, in standard Doom (made of former soldiers), is a piece of cake.

Thanks for your encouragement :D.

I'm currently working on a plot outline for the mod. I'm thinking that simply having mere soldiers in itself is a bit bland, and would like to involve some Nazi occult conspiracy plot as to include a variety of different monsters and to give the mod more flavour. I'm thinking along the lines of a portal, similar to Hellboy, that the Nazis are opening in order to try and tip the balance of the war in their favour. I'm envisioning Ahnenerbe SS-Occultists and the like, as well as daemons and and Nazi mutants.

The reason for this is that I find the level design somewhat flat at the moment, and it could use some variety if I had something to work from. Suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Hello Starke, like Cybershark mentioned, I have been working on a RTCW-styled wad aswell. My project is kinda dead, but if you wanna check out the first two maps of my project, download it here:

http://h1.ripway.com/Tuomio/pubrsldt_demo.zip
or here:
http://tuomio.oxyhost.com/pubrsldt_demo.zip

I hope you find some inspiration from my work, or maybe we can actually work together and share ideas.

EDIT: This wad works in ZDoom.