Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NoWits

Graw!!! Bloody signal 11!

What the HELL does "exiting on signal: signal 11" mean in PrBoom?! When I play GP2X Wiz Doom, this error comes up so much when I try to load in custom WADs that I'm limited to the standard Doom 2 levels that suck! What I really hate is there's no information anywhere on the Internet, not even on PrBoom's site, that details this error. It drives me bloody mental every time I see it! What the hell does it mean?!!?

The launcher you use, is not intended for use with prboom. If you use prboom plus you'll have a build in launcher.

arrrgh said:

You need to load HR.DEH too...

HUH???

Try using LaunchTool instead. It has a config files for several popular ports - including PrBoom - and for most others they're dead easy to write.

Oops, maybe I shouldn't have put that image in...

I meant when I use GP2X Wiz PrBoom with an Oblige level. Yeah, it also happened with Hell Revealed even when I added HR.DEH. Why does it happen?

Signal 11 means the program crashed, like a General Protection Fault in Windows. What it really means is that the gp2x prboom has a bug, which only the programmer who made it can fix.

Yeah the 2.5.0b GP2X port is shit like that, good speed and fixes the fact that savegames are stored on NAND, but no PWAD support.

PWADs do work with the old version 2.2.6-beta4 (tested on my F100 with firmware v2.1.1) which seems to be gone from the archives so I've mirrored it: prboom-gp2x-2.2.6-b4.zip

You'll need your own IWADs obviously, and I'd suggest copying the relevant parts of the config file from 2.5.0b for its' way better keybindings.

I've updated the Wiki too: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/PrBoom

Edit: Hey check it out, PrBoom 2.5.0b crashes with anything but the most simple of PWADs with memory allocation errors:

W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding doom2.wad
 adding prboom.wad
 adding prboom.wad
 adding redtek1.wad
W_InitCache

M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon - 
R_LoadTrigTables: Endianness...ok.
R_InitData: Textures Z_Malloc: Failure trying to allocate 4228103872 bytes
Z_Malloc: Failure trying to allocate 4228103872 bytes
What sort of Doom map needs 4Gb of RAM?!? I'm going to try get to the bottom of this. Can someone help? Here's a hilighted diff of the PC/GP2X sources http://pastebin.com/f7361aa7d

Is it just a #define or path that's messing things up?

None of the changes in that paste explain that behavior. It must be a much deeper problem than that, such as some difference in the compiler's code generation, or a bug or general portability issue in PrBoom that's only revealed on this platform.

Super Jamie said:

PWADs do work with the old version 2.2.6-beta4 (tested on my F100 with firmware v2.1.1) which seems to be gone from the archives so I've mirrored it: prboom-gp2x-2.2.6-b4.zip

Thanks. Downloading now... I'm gonna tell you if it works later...

Nixot said:

Thanks. Downloading now... I'm gonna tell you if it works later...

NOOOOOOO! It didn't work!!

It didn't even make it past the demos! When I entered the game (after ages of tinkering with the settings) there were two tiny duplicate images which could only be described as a paint shop explosion. After the title screen, the game just exited with that bloody signal 11. I don't know what else to do...

Quasar said:

None of the changes in that paste explain that behavior. It must be a much deeper problem than that, such as some difference in the compiler's code generation, or a bug or general portability issue in PrBoom that's only revealed on this platform.

That's good to know I guess! There are at least two different toolchains out there, the Official SDK with GCC3 and another community one with hardware-accelerated SDL and GCC4, GlibC and binutils are different between versions too.

I know the non-working 2.5.0b was build with the latter compiler, perhaps the earlier working versions were built with the former? I might try setting up the old toolchain and seeing if that works.

Also the Open2x firmware for my early model console appears to finally be released, maybe we'd have more luck with that. I don't know anything about the Wiz at the moment, Nixot, it's been a long time since I've had anything to do with this console though I will start researching in my spare time.

The thought of a speedy and working PrBoom 2.5.0 (or hell, a PrBoom-Plus port!) on GP2X does somewhat excite me.

OK, thanks for starting to research on the Wiz... I do agree that software is quite primitive (read: pathetic) for it yet. Better give it a few more years and then GPH goes and releases another console! But then again, there's still development for the GP32 so I hope soon there will at least be a properly working PrBoom.

Until then, I suppose I'll have to play Brown Town - I mean Quake. Oh well!

I setup the Open2x ARM compiler with GCC4 last night but I got some odd build errors I don't know how to troubleshoot. The old instructions for building the official SDK no longer work, but just this morning I've discovered a heap of prebuilt SDKs in the archives and found where the official SDK is hiding too, so I have lots to try.

I also bought C++ For Dummies off Amazon :P

Jodwin said:

Or cdl. :P

If you are ready to create and maintain a Mono port for ARM processors, the ARM/Linux market will become your bitch.