Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellsBounty

Help! Sky tutorial please.

G-day,
I've been working with Doom Builder for a while now and I finally manged to make it work on Vista (so I can save, but I have made maps before for experience), and I want to be able to create a sky, like in Doom II when you look out the bars in E1M1 to get the chaingun.

Not necassarily a SKYBOX, but something that surrounds the entire playing field. Are they the same thing? Any help would be appreciated. I'm tired of using the cieling water texture for a sky!

Thanks =D

HellsBounty said:

Doom II when you look out the bars in E1M1 to get the chaingun.

Wait, what? Doom2 has neither E1M1, or a chain-gun on its first map (infact, Doom also doesn't have a chain-gun on the first map).
With that statement, its kind of hard to tell what your asking here.

He obviously means Map01 and Chainsaw.

And the simple answer is. Open the map in DB, and look at how it's done.

Edward850 said:

Wait, what? Doom2 has neither E1M1, or a chain-gun on its first map (infact, Doom also doesn't have a chain-gun on the first map).
With that statement, its kind of hard to tell what your asking here.

Yes your right, I appologize, I mean the chainSAW.

And I have tried your idea kristus, I will give it another shot.
I was also curious to know if its possible (you've probably picked up that I'm a newbie to Doom Builder in several different areas) to put more than the amount of monsters already IN Doom Builder. For example, download a custom monster and add it in without over-riding anothers config.

I haven't looked much into that myself, but it was just something I was curious about.

Thanks in advance.

You put F_SKY* as the ceiling texture of the sector.

(F_SKY1 for Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Heretic, Chex Quest, Chex Quest 3, HacX; F_SKY for Hexen; and F_SKY001 for Strife.)

Then there are some simple tricks you can do with skies. Two neighboring sectors with different ceiling height but both using the sky texture for their ceiling will look like only one sky. Using that, you can surround a courtyard with a short wall sector, so it'll look like a tall building is surrounded by a short wall; you don't need to make the wall as tall as the building.

This trick is hardly rocket science, it's used everywhere by Id Software, starting with E1M1 from the first shareware release.

You might also look at this. The idea is basically the same. Caveat: vanilla Doom does not like it at all when both the floor and the ceiling are covered with the sky texture.
http://zdoom.org/zdkb/skywindow.html

Thank you Gez, that was extremely helpful, and greatly increased the appearance of my map :D I can put you in the credits of my map if you want, just let me know what you think of idea.
Thanks to everybody else as well :)