Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Unique ways of playing doom

Anybody play doom in ways you don't think other people do?

I used to be a fan of the full status bar HUD, but I've gotten into a new mode of playing without any HUD at all, and just estimating how much health I have based on how much I get shot, and how much ammo I have given the ratio of my shooting to picking up ammo.

Another thing I tried was playing using only the automap, and guessing where the monsters are based on their positions on the map. An even more fun way of doing this is playing with the iddt cheat on, so that you can see items and monsters with the map. You'd be surprised how much Doom's behaviors are like the arcade game Asteroids when viewed from the automap.

Never tried playing it with just the automap. Sounds like a cool experiment though, will try that sometime.

I've played it without the HUD though, and that's pretty damn intense. I think it almost adds more of a scaryness factor to it, since you don't actually know how bad you're hurt or how much ammo you have. This is also the only way I play Doom 3.

I've always tried doing a runthrough of killing no monsters. With them only infighting each other. The only time that I have to kill them is if there are no other monsters in the area, it being the last one on the map or the monsters not being able to infight with each other. This can prove to be very interesting, especially when there is a pain elemental involved. I was playing Command Center on the PSX version last night and got a total of 373% kills, only from two pain elementals on the map.

I only get about half way through the game and just get sick of waiting for some monsters, so that's as far as I usually get. It's an interesting way to observe Doom monster AI however.

Turn on God mode and SV_FastWeapons 2 in ZDoom, and play through a map without your movement keys. Your only mode of transportation is rocket propulsion.

WildWeasel said:

Turn on God mode and SV_FastWeapons 2 in ZDoom, and play through a map without your movement keys. Your only mode of transportation is rocket propulsion.

Heh, I have fun with the BFG10000 in skulltag like that, except usually it's vertical ;)

The automap trick only works in ZDoom. Both Vanilla and Boom have to see walls in the 3D renderer to add them to the automap.

oh yeah I forgot about idbeholda too.

40oz said:

Another thing I tried was playing using only the automap, and guessing where the monsters are based on their positions on the map. An even more fun way of doing this is playing with the iddt cheat on, so that you can see items and monsters with the map. You'd be surprised how much Doom's behaviors are like the arcade game Asteroids when viewed from the automap.

Weren't there plans to include an Asteroids-type minigame in the automap at one point in the development of Doom?

mammajamma said:
Weren't there plans to include an Asteroids-type minigame in the automap at one point in the development of Doom?

Indeed.

Before anyone thinks of it: do NOT play with your head or nose. It's bad for your lungs.

I remember as a kid, I would occasionally activate the cheat code that showed all monsters, items, weapons, etc., on the map mode, and played it in 2D. I can't remember the actual code, though.

Oh, Google has informed me that it's iddt twice.

Turn your monitor upside down and set the mouse sensitivity to a negative value. :P

One Idea I came up with is to use some ZDoom based port to make a gun that kills any monster in 1 shot and removes all other weapons and inventory so you're forces only to use that gun. The only drawback is that you can only carry 1 bullet at a time, so you have to kill all the monsters in order to have ammo to kill the rest. Woe betide you if you miss a shot (you'd have to use infighting to get more ammo)

I have mentioned before that I have played with the monitor turned off and managed to get to E1M3.

I don't really play doom in any unique ways, unless you count being under an influence or 2 (or more...) to be unique. I guess eating a hallucinogen then playing doom can have some unique results.

Butts said:

I guess eating a hallucinogen then playing doom can have some unique results.

Like fighting with the command line instead of daemons.

Butts said:

I guess eating a hallucinogen then playing doom can have some unique results.

That would give one interesting trip. Im curious to know exactly how that turned out, given I might want to try the same.

You could try the AVGNs Nintendo Accessories. Especially that helmet that fires by saying "Fuck!".

WildWeasel said:

Zdoom Heretic + God + Infinite ammo + SV_Fastweapons 2 + Phoenix staff
WHOOOOOOM

Patrick said:

I play doom while heavily intoxicated.

I tried that once. I'm not sure why but it's a bit of a buzzkill. I guess because playing doom is already euphoric as it is, it replaces the drunkeness.

Whenever I get wasted and try to play Doom my reflexes are impaired from all the alcohol so I die pretty fast. Drunk Doom time for me is usually watching tatsurdcacocaco's superhuman UV-Max speedruns on YouTube.

Ichor said:

Dictating your actions to a BLIND person using the controls.

Fixed.

Jimmy91 said:

Turn your monitor upside down and set the mouse sensitivity to a negative value. :P

Because using the rotate desktop display function would be too easy :D

I think old age has made my doom skills a bit less off the mark then that old bit of "ultra violence".

I drink alot but I can't play doom drunk. I die endlessly because its even harder to dodge those goddamn fireballs.

Best way to experience Doom in a new way is to play a good mod. Action Doom 1 or 2 for example

Smashing beer bottles on stereotypical 1980's punk's heads is a satisfying diversion and a far cry from doom's usual monotony of chaingunner ambushes and rooms packed full of arch-viles.

Of course, you could mix and match the different methods listed here. Say, for example, a blindfolded guy sitting at a monitor turned upside down and facing into three mirrors so all sense of left/right is lost to the person describing the action, while limiting himself to only moving via rocket propulsion and using only his nose to control doomguys movements. In third person mode. While drunk.

Does anyone actually use the -left and -right parameters in Doom 1.whatever and Chocolate Doom? I've considered hooking another monitor up to my laptop but I'm not sure exactly how to run it.