Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Mapping for Crysis 2 almost as easy as Doom Mapping

That's pretty neat. Mapping for CryEngine2 wasn't all that hard, but this seems to make it that much simpler. Would be awesome to see lots of beginner and advanced mappers create stuff with this. Will definitely be messing around with this when it gets released.

I dicked around with Far Cry's mapping (CryEngine 1, I guess). it was basically the same as what this video shows, just a bit more primitive. the real question is, what about making wireframe/brush structures and interior spaces? that is something I never figured out in Far Cry

I played around with this a little while ago.

Long story short. It is *relatively* simple to make something that looks exactly like Crysis. And *relatively* difficult to make anything that doesn't look like it came straight out of Crysis.

Heh, this is more or less the same thing that Far Cry 2 had. I played around with that quite a bit, but to be honest it felt somewhat limited due to the fact that the only buildings you could use were prefab ones (or at least as far as I could tell anyway). Still had a bit of fun with it though. I ended up making a map with 2 bases and a few pitfall traps that would kill you instantly if you fell in them.

while we're talking about CryEngine stuff, can anyone recommend some good map packs for Far Cry and Crisis? I feel like sneaking about in some pretty looking jungles

From what I've seen in this video, you can do almost everything they show in here in the CryEngine2 sandbox. Making terrain and detail isn't a problem, AI however is much trickier. Download any user-created map for Crysis, you'll see the AI ranges from crap to poor compared to the professional levels.

Another issue with such an advanced engine graphically is you have to use the base art assets, anything fanmade will look terribly out of place ; of course, that's pretty much true to any high-profile FPS since ~2004.

I guess my point is if you want to map for it, you can start now, it doesn't seem like the few improvements if any are going to change much the editor.

Is it just me, or is the video EXTREMELY quiet?

I had to turn my volume up to max just to hear it, as opposed to the floor vibrating 33% I usually have it at.

Cool. I've tried playing with the Dunia engine (Far Cry 2) and this definitely looks a lot easier.

Ugh, I could never get the hang of 3D map editing. And it's not because of a lack of easy editors, it's just that the freedom overwhelmed me. Even going back to the first Quake - I got the hang of the editor, but I just simply had no ideas for utilizing the new freedom that 3D editing had to offer.

Well. Most people who make true 3d maps never do.
And in particular modern games are flat and uninteresting designs akin to the Wolfenstein 3d days.

Nifty!

I dabbled with Half-Life mapping and it's a bit tricky, especially if you end up having numerous gaps you cannot find.

Hasn't on the fly terrain/vegetation generation been around in games for quite some time?

Steeveeo said:

Is it just me, or is the video EXTREMELY quiet?

I had to turn my volume up to max just to hear it, as opposed to the floor vibrating 33% I usually have it at.

Fakeloud demonstration videos are destroying the industry.

Brush-based editing isn't so bad; a lot of it just depends on your viewpoint. The whole process became much simpler to me when I realized that it was glorified lego-building. Any tutorial that starts you off with creating one solid brush and hollowing it out is really, really stupid and I can see how that would throw people off. That is not what Quake/Half Life editing is all about.

kristus said:

And in particular modern games are flat and uninteresting designs akin to the Wolfenstein 3d days.

Agreed. Some of the best 3D level design I've seen were in the early 3D titles, namely the Descent series, Unreal, Quake and Quake 2. Half-Life had interesting level design but it was mostly realistic which is arguably the easiest to do once you get a feel for 3D map making. Thief, System Shock and Deus Ex also deserve a mention given how good their level design was.

If CryEngine3's map editor is anything like Far Cry, creating outdoor scenery and placing prefabs is a snap, it's when you try and make a map that isn't based on existing prefabs that it becomes a real nightmare. From what I understand, CryEngine2 made importing custom material much easier, but trying to match that level of quality is going to be the hardest part. Still, as long as importing custom prefabs isn't a chore, this could very well one of the best level editors out there.

Edit:

Dittohead said:

Brush-based editing isn't so bad; a lot of it just depends on your viewpoint. The whole process became much simpler to me when I realized that it was glorified lego-building. Any tutorial that starts you off with creating one solid brush and hollowing it out is really, really stupid and I can see how that would throw people off. That is not what Quake/Half Life editing is all about.

Yeah, you don't necessarily have to make every room out of cubes or hollow brushes, you can just as easily stack a bunch of random shapes together so long as they don't have a leak. At least that's what how I remember Quake mapping.

Doom Marine said:
I'm stoked, with the release of Crysis 2 it could be very well be my first step into 3-D mapping.

Not any time soon... thermodynamics is calling!

Everybody said:

Prefabs

I remember seeing a screenshot of the Titanic that somebody had built in Far Cry. Except the engine didn't let you go "I'm going to make the Titanic", so it was actually a load of scrap metal bashed together into a vague ship-like shape, with concrete buildings on top, brilliant.