Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nomad

The metal thread somehow spawned from the pictures thread

mammajamma said:

Also, are there any good recent bands that follow a traditional/NWOBHM/thrash-type style?

Manilla Road is on the traditional side, especially their 80s albums and their "Mark of the Beast" album. Suggested starting albums would be Crystal Logic, Open the Gates and The Deluge.

"The Circus Maximus" is NOT a Manilla Road album but just a 1 album side project that the label simply slapped the name on it so it can sell.

Edguy, and Stratovarius are both that come to mind. Stratovarius has been around quite a while (probably accurately labeled "Finland's Iron Maiden"), but Edguy is a fairly recent group. Both of them have fantastic music.

Woolie Wool said:

Anal Cunt is one of those bands where the song titles are more interesting than the songs.

Grindcore, not metal. The only grindcore I like currently is Pig Destroyer, which has death metal elements which makes it reasonble for me to listen to and not bursts of furious noise.

darkreaver said:

Edguy? Stratovarius? traditional/nwobhm/thrash? wtf?

Someone clearly is uneducated in the realms of metal by the sound of that post. Just ask and we will enlighten you on the subjects.

jute said:

Manilla Road and Cirith Ungol are AWESOME.

Oh yea they are, I forgot about Cirith Ungol..they are badass just like Manilla Road.

How are Edguy and Stratovarius not traditional metal? Compare them with Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

Nomad said:

How are Edguy and Stratovarius not traditional metal? Compare them with Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

They're not traditional metal because they're power metal. They are part of a clear lineage of European power metal going all the way back to Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys duology and beyond. In fact, they're not just power metal, they have less similarity to traditional metal than more riff-oriented European power bands like Steel Attack and Lost Horizon do.

Woolie Wool said:

Mammajamma: Traditional/NWOBHM/thrash? You want [b]METAL CHURCH

I've heard of Metal Church, but have only listened to "Watch The Children Pray". Any starting points?

Also Kris, The embedding is disabled on that video.

The first two albums (the s/t and The Dark) are the most speed/thrash oriented of them and the closest to what you're looking for. Hanging in the Balance is more emotional and trad-ish but an excellent album--don't let the ugly cover art fool you.

From Hanging in the Balance.

mammajamma said:

Also Kris, The embedding is disabled on that video.

Damn, didn't notice that. Guess they aren't tr00

Some fine doom metal there, I have a particular fondness for the first band of the three.

Mr. Chris said:

Someone clearly is uneducated in the realms of metal by the sound of that post. Just ask and we will enlighten you on the subjects.

I always thought of traditional/nwobhm as bands like Tank, Angel Witch and stuff like that, not gay bands like Edguy and Stratovarius.

Dunno why thrash was mentioned at all though

darkreaver said:

bands like Edguy and Stratovarius.

the lame side of power metal (includes Dragonforce).

but the better (heavier) side of power metal includes:
pyramaze
Mystical prophecy (only part power metal)
(All I can think of or care to put down atm)

and go here to find all the metal bands (if you don't already know)
Encyclopaedia Metallum
metal-archives.com/

Mr. Freeze said:

stuff

Iron Savior is nice power metal
and Buckethead is a great guitarest one of my favorites. (as I think he does PR theme)

darkreaver said:

I always thought of traditional/nwobhm as bands like Tank, Angel Witch and stuff like that, not gay bands like Edguy and Stratovarius.

Dunno why thrash was mentioned at all though

I asked for thrash recommendations as well as traditional and NWOBHM.

E: embedding is disabled for the Power Rangers vid, Freeze.

Mr. Freeze said:

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Theme Song

Holy shit nostalgia.

Malinku said:

and Buckethead is a great guitarest one of my favorites. (as I think he does PR theme)

YEAH BUCKETHEAD

Not exactly metal, but you said his name so I get to post this.

P.S. Power Rangers scared me as a child. So did Thomas the Tank Engine.

Surprisingly good, considering the other stuff they put out. I still think the original is better, though.

SuperSlammer2 said:

Let's not start this again. They are metalcore, which is metal and hardcore punk. It's still metal.

Not metal ENOUGH tho, if you ask the folks over at the Encyclopedia Metallum...they don't have Killswitch on their band archive for that reason..too much -core and not enough metal..not to mention some of the photos of them make them look like emo twats. :|

That is also a reason they removed several -core (both death and metal core genres) from the archive as they were not deemed metal enough.

@Freeze: FFDP got some mediocre to poor reviews on MA.

The Way of the Fist - Full-length, 2007 - [13 reviews, average 22%]
The Bleeding (Screamless) - Single, 2008 - [1 review, 0%]

No reviews for the new album tho.

That FFDP song was some of the worst "metal" I`ve ever heard. Damn.

Well, tastes. They differ. (<--- is this correct english?)

edit: I remember MA added Korn to their archives as a 1st of april joke, haha

the metal-archives are run and moderated by a bunch of elitist jerks who try to be objective and open-minded. as it turns out, that is the best solution.

Encyclopedia Metallum

This group of self appointed "experts" are pretty fucking audacious to claim a band isn't metal enough when that's what the band call themselves. Don't think I'll be bothering to look at their little site.

By all means, feel free to take a disliking to something if it's not to your taste, but when you start trying to tell the person/people who made it that it's something entirely different to what they say it is, then you can kindly get knotted.

Imagine we started having /newstuff reviews where people started claiming a WAD isn't Doom enough to be worthy of inclusion to the archives. People would be throwing a fucking fit. And rightly so.