Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #354

GreyGhost said:

It's a major improvement over his first wads, has some nice touches but there's a lot of basic mapping errors that could easily have been fixed in 3D mode.

Castle wasn't that bad at all, just a little unpolished. I for one thought the actual review was ridiculously bitter and angry. And if *I'm* saying that...

I don't see how any new mapper could not be inspired by seeing the Tot Comics dude's maps get better with each release.

Sure, a lot of his stuff would be better kept on "the hard drive", but alternatively, I'm sure many aspiring mappers get stuck because they feel like they have to release perfection now.

That's the thing. Every failure makes you stronger. Though most of a mapper's really early learning maps should definitely stay on his/her hard drive, there's nothing wrong with releasing a flop or two to the public to see what he's doing wrong.

Krispavera said:

That's the thing. Every failure makes you stronger. Though most of a mapper's really early learning maps should definitely stay on his/her hard drive, there's nothing wrong with releasing a flop or two to the public to see what he's doing wrong.

BUT DOOM IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!1

Mr. Freeze said:

Castle wasn't that bad at all, just a little unpolished. I for one thought the actual review was ridiculously bitter and angry. And if *I'm* saying that...

I honestly don't think that I was being overly bitter and angry. I actually reviewed the wad about a month ago, during which time I had discovered that my computer had somehow been trashed by a trogan. The wad itself is actually decent, just it has texture errors up the butt and the unforgivable difficulty level just really pissed me off. If I remember correctly, I redid the first level a good 10 or 11 times because of the bullshit chaingunners. I probably could of been nicer in my review, but im honestly not used to playing maps with such low levels of quality.

Hmm... have to play Lupara for the lulz if nothing else.

Not having played it yet, I'm guessing this is intended to be like a Londoner making a joke WAD called "Needs more sawn-off" with references to Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or something like that. People who grok the cultural references to the gun as being cool would "get" the joke; those who don't would say "Nyaaaa, this WAD sucks 11111".

Never_Again said:

the posters here are not doing the author a favor by saying that they are "not bad at all".

Big difference between "not bad at all" and "not as bad as Eligitine's review would make it seem"

Bloodshedder said:

Reviewed by:[/b] Mr. Freeze
Over two years in the making, Whispers of Satan is finally upon the Doom community. A full megawad with 30 regular levels and 5 secret levels (3 only accessible with ZDoom)...

[/list]

Those 3 only accessible with Zdoom maps are also accessible with prboom-plus. You'll have a fault message when you finnish them as prboom can't find the next map. And you can't survive map35 because the megahealth doesn't work in relation with damage done to voodoo dolls in prboom-plus. In gzdoom that isn't the case but you won't survive anyway due to second part of the map unless there's some trick I didn't saw.
I love the monster placement of wos, it was well suited for trying to finnish the level in your first run. (Only one map had a death trap).

udderdude said:

Heh, this is basically like a second announcement of Whispers of Satan.

I agree.

Krispavera said:

It's much better to post it on the forums here than in the /idgames archive, where it will suck for all eternity. You'll get a lot more positive feedback on the forums, while on /idgames, you're lucky to get more than a "Sucks ass, don't bother 1/5".

Coldfusio said:

Those 3 only accessible with Zdoom maps are also accessible with prboom-plus.

Actually, Vanilla Doom (Doom95 also) has unused Map33-35 map slots, which can be accessed with the level warp cheat (assuming one is actually running a wad containing a map with such a number of course).

Hence you don't need any port to access WOS's Map33-35. Of course, given that WOS is a Boom based wad, many triggers and such won't work if you try to actually play the maps in Vanilla Doom.

I wonder why Vanilla Doom has those unused map numbers though. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that there are 35 music tracks in Doom2.

Vermil said:
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that there are 35 music tracks in Doom2.

Yeah, the executable uses the non-level music for those levels. They must be placed on the list where the music for those levels would be. Levels 33-35 don't work on all systems, though. Some other missing data must be causing issues.

Oh. I've never had any problems with running Maps 33-35 in Vanilla Doom myself.

The only issue I'm aware of is that their intermission screens will crash Vanilla Doom on account of the CWILVxx placing code being forcibly told to only recognize up to CWILV31 (0-31).

On my system, the executables for DOOM II and The Ultimate DOOM get a page fault error at startup, while the Final DOOM executable loads the levels.