Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Strife Community Project

So I finished playing through this awesome game called Strife. For those of you have haven't played it, do it now, I'll wait. I'm posting this because I'm trying to gauge what people's interests are in this particular game. I'd like to see a community project for strife some day, but strife obviously has some differences from Doom that would make this difficult. So here are some questions for the Doom community:

• Is it feasible to make a strife community project?
  • If so, would anyone be interested in doing a strife community project?
  • What would be the best port for this? (ZDoom and Eternity come to mind)
  • What kind of project would people be interested in (eg, remake, expansions, etc.)
I for one would love to contribute to something of this sort, but I'd like to get the community's feedback first. A few ideas that might work for this sort of thing: remake strife, much like KDiZD (zstrife?), perhaps some unofficial expansion pack, or maybe 'FreeStrife' (I dont know what legal ramifications there would be)

In all, I think that I'd like to see more strife mods, I guess I'm wondering how much interest the community has.

Seeing how the Heretic Community Project came along, I don't see this as feasible.

On top of that, no matter how many times you say "do it now", most people haven't played and have no plans to buy and play Strife.

I'd love to see more mapping for Strife. Perhaps a multiplayer-oriented community megawad with a clear time limit a la 32in24 would be a good way to increase interest?

Patrick said:

What would be the best port for this? (ZDoom and Eternity come to mind)

Right now, there's only ZDoom (and derivatives), Vavoom and SvStrife that support it. So ZDoom might be the best choice, especially for a "remake with more stuff" mod like KDiZD. Strife's storytelling relied on a lot of hardcoded hacks that wouldn't be very easy to replicate through other means, unless you have something like ACS to help.

DuckReconMajor said:

Seeing how the Heretic Community Project came along, I don't see this as feasible.

That's the biggest issue by far. It's hard to sustain the interest in a community project that's not for Doom 2 for long enough to see the project to fruition. Heretic, Hexen, Strife all would deserve an expansion, but they're not Doom 2.

Well considering that only 3 Strife wads are available in the archives(although funny enough there are more HacX wads in the archives than Strife O_o), I think its best to make a Community Deathmatch megawad than single player since its easier to make it for deathmatch. The only problem is that nearly nobody plays Strife online :(

Well. That's pretty much because the original Strife maps are pretty awful for DM. If only they had kept the coop.

That wouldn't have been possible with how the game was realized. All the awful hacks pretty much make coop impossible.

I would love to play a community-made Strife expansion. It's a great game with alot of potential, and goddamn there are some creative people around here. I can just imagine an engaging deep story coupled with level design emulating Tim Willits' amazingly talented use of 3D space in the 2.5D Doom world.

However not many people know about Strife, or those who do seem to have either not played it much or have no interest in mapping for it. From memory, the Doom Builder Strife config file could also be a bit better.

Graf Zahl said:

That wouldn't have been possible with how the game was realized. All the awful hacks pretty much make coop impossible.

I think by limiting the quest-driving player to one player (the first player, probably), adjusting quest flag and item awarding to work on all 8 players instead of only players[0], and avoiding the stupid hack on the transfer to MAP10 would have rendered Strife coop playable, if still somewhat lacking.

Really, they didn't even try.

I have been thinking about what it would take to make it work in a source port without requiring an altered IWAD.

I'd love to see any sort of project for Strife, be it a community project, or single maps. Sadly, I don't think there is enough interest in the community for that to happen.

DuckReconMajor said:

most people haven't played and have no plans to buy and play Strife.

Strife is abandonware. As far as I'm aware no one is still trying to sell it.

jute said:I'd love to see more mapping for Strife. Perhaps a multiplayer-oriented community megawad with a clear time limit a la 32in24 would be a good way to increase interest?

There was a Strife Deathmatch pack released on Skulltag awhile ago. It got brushed away by most of the community. It boosted interest in Strife mapping, but not enough for a major community project.

Whoo said:

Strife is abandonware. As far as I'm aware no one is still trying to sell it.

Oh crap. Round 3.

Taking a copy without paying is stealing. If you want a legal copy, buy it off Amazon. You can usually get it used for < $10

Graf Zahl said:

Well, of course there's a reason for them not keeping coop. It would have been pretty strange for them to rip it out for the hell of it.

But if they had committed themselves to making the game work in coop then they could have made sure to fix that. But of course that would have taken more time away from an already late product to hit the shelves.

DuckReconMajor said:

If you want a legal copy, buy it off Amazon. You can usually get it used for < $10

Yeah, those are people and small companies selling it because the original is very rare. You have a choice of downloading, or buying from someone, or a company that sells old games as collectibles.

Let's not discuss abandonware on Doomworld.

kristus said:

But if they had committed themselves to making the game work in coop then they could have made sure to fix that. But of course that would have taken more time away from an already late product to hit the shelves.

I can't help but think a co-op Strife game would be pretty boring. The action parts would probably be good (you could make some epic spectre battles which are otherwise incompletable by a single player) but for me the joy of the storyline and maps and stealth parts is discovering all that myself at my own pace.

Then again, once you've gone thru the game once (and maybe reloaded savegames and gotten all the endings) it does lose alot of replayability.

Strife is pretty cool but I've never had the patience to play through the entire thing, sadly. The weapon balance doesn't strike me as being good for DM, and I don't see it working for coop. I've always WANTED to see something amazing come out for Strife though. Doesn't seem like the interest is there.

DuckReconMajor said:

Oh crap. Round 3.

Taking a copy without paying is stealing.

Nah, it's counterfeiting. It's only stealing if you delete it from where you took it.

Actually, I think the interest is there. There are obviously a lot of people, including mappers, that want to see more content for Strife. What else qualifies as interest in this community if not that?

Shaikoten, Why not try organizing a 32-in-24 for Strife DM? If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but it's certainly worth a shot.

You are aiming too high. I think a smaller (maybe 5 or 6 maps) hub would be a much better goal - and achievable.

A DM project is pretty pointless in my opinion. Knowing the DM community they'll continue to play Dwango 5 anyway. There doesn't seem to be much interest in branching out to the other Doom engine games.

Graf Zahl said:

You are aiming too high. I think a smaller (maybe 5 or 6 maps) hub would be a much better goal - and achievable.

I agree.

Graf Zahl said:

A DM project is pretty pointless in my opinion. Knowing the DM community they'll continue to play Dwango 5 anyway. There doesn't seem to be much interest in branching out to the other Doom engine games.

Graf, when was the last time you actually bothered looking at a server list. Duel and CTF are where the overplayed maps are, if anything I think Deathmatch (along with coop) are probably where people are MOST open to trying new maps...assuming it can get hosted.

Well, they don't all play Dwango 5, but I hardly ever see anyone playing anything other than Doom 2, and I really don't see many people getting Strife for this other than the group here.

I personally got bored of Strife because I kept glitching/breaking it without warning. A Strife do-over (like KDiZD) would be perfect :D

AlexMax said:

Graf, when was the last time you actually bothered looking at a server list. Duel and CTF are where the overplayed maps are, if anything I think Deathmatch (along with coop) are probably where people are MOST open to trying new maps...assuming it can get hosted.

What. Last time I played Skulltag, people really didn't even seem interested in traditional coop anymore. Everyone was just doing jumpmaze. As far as Zdaemon goes, all I've really seen most people playing are coopbuildm and Dbzone. Hell, I rarely even see any DM maps on skulltag anymore. There's only 2 DM servers up on Skulltag right now, and one of them only has 2 people while the other has 3.