Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
arrrgh

New Arrivals

A map I've been working on. It will be the first map of a megawad(or more realistically just a multi-map wad), so it's quite short and easy. It's quite brightly themed, with a blue sky and trees(living ones, that is) which I'll probably get bashed for, but oh well :P

Shots:
http://i33.tinypic.com/rawx07.gif
http://i35.tinypic.com/20jmnww.gif
http://i34.tinypic.com/9kwgpl.gif

Download: http://www.speedyshare.com/822437242.html

I'm not going to bash you for making a bright looking map, because to be honest the map looked pretty nice. Instead I'll bash you for making a nice looking map that's a tad too slow, a little bit tedious and way too easy even for map01. It's an abuse of good looking visuals making the gameplay very bland.

Bash bash bash :(

The atmosphere from the screenshots looks really well-done. I think the gray striped texture is a bit overused (the theme could use more color contrast), but I don't think it looks bad in the least. I might try to play it tomorrow, so I'll see if what Jodwin says is true.

It was OK. I didn't think it was too bright at all ; then again, I'm probably the only man on earth who doesn't play Doom with the brightness level cranked up to eleven, judging by the light levels in most wads.

However, there was too little to fight, and too much switches to hunt. I'd consider E1M1 more dangerous than this map, and in my opinion you want to make UV at least a bit harder than the original maps considering the average player skill level has raised quite a bit compared to '93.

My first impressions when I was playing the map. I liked the architecture, but texturing could use some more color. I didn't liked the sky all that much to be honest. Gameplay was and bit tedious, but I think about right for an first map. Health balance was sufficient, tight but just enough to make through in one piece.

It could use one or two secrets, it would add some replay value to the map imo.

I liked it. Looking at the screens, I didn't expect this to be all that good to be honest, but the design and feel of the level was actually very good once I got in and played it.

Gameplay was a bit too easy and simple. Also, you might want to consider making those translucent windows so you can't shoot through them.

And I did download the newest version.

Good work though. Really original looking level.

AFAIK there isn't a way to make lines block hitscans and projectiles with Eternity. I'm glad you enjoyed the feel of the level, I prefer the cleaner, brighter kind of level rather than the gritty dark sorts of levels that are more common.

arrrgh said:

AFAIK there isn't a way to make lines block hitscans and projectiles with Eternity.

No need for port-specific tricks, when there's a perfectly fine Vanilla trick around.

Also, if you're going to make it an Eternity-wad, you should have mentioned that in the first post.

edit: I tried the new version now; it certainly is better, however now the shotgun room is a little redundant since you get a shotgun from the sarges. You could replace the shotgun with a stimpack, for example. Also, you could throw a trap around the blue key...for example, when you open the pillars to the blue key the wall under the UAC logos in the main hall could lower, revealing a group of baddies (the UAC logo would be the ceiling of the trap sector).

Oh, and the demon by the blue key is a little redundant: You can safely shoot it from the higher level, and all it'll do is take hits without being dangerous at all.