Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ultraboy94

skulltag 98a not working

cant do anything with the new skulltag 98a.

everytime i try to open skulltag to do anything, it just crashes, saying "compatibility.txt not found!".

im on vista service pack 1. i used the windows installer to install the program.

ive so far tried looking for "compatibility.txt" on the internet, tried to use vistas compatibility modes, tried reinstalling. dont really know what to do, noone else seems to have the problem.

compatibility.txt is one of the lumps in skulltag.pk3.

You've installed it wrong somehow.

Are you sure you installed it properly?

compatibility.txt is part of the installation (inside skulltag.pk3)

just opened skulltag-data.pk3, and there is no compatibility.txt.

ive never had a skulltag-data.pk3 before 98a, and have re-downloaded the skulltag-data.pk3 times over, with no more sucess.

Ultraboy94 said:

just opened skulltag-data.pk3, and there is no compatibility.txt.

Of course not. It should be in skulltag.pk3.

You need to have both skulltag.pk3 and skulltag-data.pk3. The first contains engine-side stuff (like actor declaration, compatibility files, etc.) and the second contains extra Skulltag content (maps, textures, sprites, etc.).

checked both. neither have compatibility.txt.

dont know if the new skulltag.pk3 was updated or not. ive tried all of the options (installer, zipped folder, upgrader).

I downloaded the zipped version and there was a skulltag.pk3 included and within it there was that compatibility.txt file. You're installing it wrong. Maybe you're not overwriting the old files?

Anyway, the problem is on your side, not on Skulltag's one, since nobody else has this issue.

ok. after spending 30 mins trying to find the problem with my skulltag.pk3 i fixed it. for some stupid reason my computer was refusing to delete the old pk3 when i put in the new pk3 (both old and new pk3s were happily in the same folder), and skulltag always read the old one. deleted the old one and it works fine now. stupid vista "compatibility files"...

I bet you've installed it in C:\Program Files\Skulltag or something like that. Games should never go in C:\Program Files.

Gez said:

Games should never go in C:\Program Files.

I put most of my games in there and they work fine even on vista.

don't know why file location would matter enough to screw up a game.

Heh, I got the same error the other day when I tried to run ZDoom v2.3.1 with the v2.2.0 PK3. But I had done it on purpose, so it would use the (slight) changes I demanded for some things.

I might search for a better solution next time than having to edit the PK3 every time ZDoom is updated. Maybe an auto-loading PWAD with a DECORATE that uses this feature...

Malinku said:

You don't mod most of them, then. At least not with third-party tools.

Malinku said:

Here's why.

Malinku said:

The only thing I don't like about putting things in Program Files on Vista/7 is that you get nagged every time you want to copy something there if you have UAC turned on. The real issue is that, again with UAC enabled, files created by programs don't get written to their actual directory, they get written to their directory in AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files instead. It's convenient if you're sharing a computer, since everyone can have their own configuration files and such, but most people just don't realize it exists. If you have a configuration file in there, and try placing one in the normal Program Files directory, the VirtualStore file will be used instead.

Really, Program Files is the best place you can put games if you do have two or more people using a computer, and they want their own saves and configurations. Most newer stuff is smart enough to place files somewhere in the user's directory regardless of where it's installed, but older games won't. Any programs that are giving you real trouble can always be run as an admin, which will force them to save to the actual Program Files directory.

Edit: Gez posted while I was typing this.