Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
entryway

Win7+PrBoom-Plus+SDL_mixer

Mike.Reiner said:

Wow, I have absolutely no idea. That is so bizarre!

At least that proves that mp3/ogg music works with Win7 + SDL_mixer, thanks God. Not always though :)

p.s. I have installed the latest drivers for my Realtek (Vista_Win7_R235.exe)

entryway said:

At least that proves that mp3/ogg music works with Win7 + SDL_mixer, thanks God. Not always though :)

p.s. I have installed the latest drivers for my Realtek (Vista_Win7_R235.exe)

Oh yeah that's right, SDL has had issues with playing MP3/OGG on Vista/7, wherein the audio would stop working altogether.. yet you did something as trivial as copy everything to another folder and then it works.

Mike.Reiner said:

Oh yeah that's right, SDL has had issues with playing MP3/OGG on Vista/7, wherein the audio would stop working altogether.. yet you did something as trivial as copy everything to another folder and then it works.

Hi, can you explain what you mean by that?

I updated to the latest test versions of prboom+ and the SDL contained in the zip. I still have the music problems. I have SDL in the same folder as the executable.

Win 7 Unltimate, 64 bit.

Thanks!

emailking said:

Hi, can you explain what you mean by that?

I updated to the latest test versions of prboom+ and the SDL contained in the zip. I still have the music problems. I have SDL in the same folder as the executable.

Win 7 Unltimate, 64 bit.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to how I said he did something trivial to make it work?

Look at the video entryway posted, that shows what he did.

Mike.Reiner said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to how I said he did something trivial to make it work?

Look at the video entryway posted, that shows what he did.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Sorry, I thought it was just a sound file. Hence my confusion.

Anyone know what codec I need to watch the video? I tried 2 computers and it just plays the sound.

Or if it's simple enough to describe what the video depicts...

emailking said:

Anyone know what codec I need to watch the video? I tried 2 computers and it just plays the sound.

Try KMPlayer. It does not need any external codecs for playback any video/audio. I have KMPlayer for playback everything and ffdshow for encoding.

Do you have the latest drivers? Realtek?

Do you hear music with test application?
http://prboom-plus.sf.net/sdl_mixer_test.zip
(press 'm' to start/stop)

entryway said:

Try KMPlayer. It does not need any external codecs for playback any video/audio. I have KMPlayer for playback everything and ffdshow for encoding.

Do you have the latest drivers? Realtek?

Do you hear music with test application?
http://prboom-plus.sf.net/sdl_mixer_test.zip
(press 'm' to start/stop)

Nope, I hear nothing. I put all the files in the same folder. Let me know if I was supposed to do something else.

I have the latest audio drivers. It's not Realtek. It's "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC" whatever the hell that is. It's the native sound card & drivers to my dell laptop, and I have ensured the drivers are the most up to date that they have.

entryway said:

Try again.

http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/history.html

At least I do not have this problem anymore (had only with mp3/ogg music)

Ok and I updated and here's what's fixed:
1. -nomusic now only turns off music, not all sound
2. Sound and music seem to work fine on logdays.wad

Thank you very much for those fixes!

Unfortunately, there is still a hang every time the music loops. I don't know if this was intended to fix that as well.

Also, I just noticed something which is probably unrelated. If I do:
prboom-plus -iwad doom2.wad -warp xx
or
prboom-plus -iwad doom2.wad -skill x

The program crashes immediately (the typical exit on signal error message). I don't remember that ever happening before. Just the presence of the -skill or -warp commands seems to crash it for some reason. I'm using the current test version now, but this also happens on a 2.5.0.5 build from October. (It's dated 10/24/2009 on my machine...I don't know what build it started to happen in though.)

emailking said:

Unfortunately, there is still a hang every time the music loops. I don't know if this was intended to fix that as well.

Sadly that seems to be a longstanding problem in sdl_mixer. We have the same problem when using sdl_mixer for MIDI in Doomsday.

ultdoomer said:

I can't view the video and don't wish to download a new player. Can someone describe what happens?

No problems with 2505. Forget it. Mix_HaltMusic instead of Mix_FadeMusic for the win

Btw, you do not need a new player. You just need a good player. KMPlayer (or there are few alternatives) just does not need anything except itself for viewing everything.

entryway said:

KMPlayer (or there are few alternatives) just does not need anything except itself for viewing everything.

VLC player also plays nearly everything without the need to install any codecs. Very good and stable program.