Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

We got texture artists here?

No problem.

"PIPESGR" and "PIPES96" variations:

The shading on the green ones are a bit off because the green ramp doesn't go very dark, but I think it should look good enough. Of course anyone can tweak them if they aren't.

(Edit: Removed ones updated below.)

Damn they're good, EarthQuake! I tried to do those myself and gave up in frustration.

Out of interest, don't spose you could make a red version to go with SP_HOT1?

Dark red is a pain in the ass to work with. I just tried recoloring it, but it had hideous non-reddish splotches where the shadows were. Brightness/contrast/saturation tweaking didn't help either. It's even more difficult than the green was. I think the metal/brown one would work well with SP_HOT, though.

Wasn't satisfied with the bottom trim on these ones, so I modified them a little:

Aye that's true, I've tried a few red recolors myself and the amount of color loss going back to Doom palette is horrible. Good idea with the brown tho, cheers :)

So nice! thanks Earthquake!

Also superjamie, The warning stripes are a little thick, mind using this as the transparent layer instead? And maybe a little more of the stripes showing than the SLIME15

Here's some more stuff I'm workin on.

40oz said:

Also superjamie, The warning stripes are a little thick, mind using this as the transparent layer instead? And maybe a little more of the stripes showing than the SLIME15

No worries! I couldn't decide which one I liked best so you get lots :P

Hahaha, well that's one way of doing it. Personally, I like the 5th one best.

I've been on this massive texture-making binge all night because of this thread. Probably spat out like 20 textures just since I made those last ones. Unfortunately it's for another project and probably wouldn't suit 40oz's needs. I'll eventually release them though, and if I think of anything else that's relevant, I'll post them here.

Edit: Here's a shitastic attempt at a crate with a tarp:

Dunno how to go about doing bungee cords/ropes though. I can't find any photos online about how it should be attached.

It took me forever, but i found this screenshot where a similar texture is used.

Actually now that I can see the texture firsthand, I think now I can make it myself. Earthquake, I may use your texture as a base.

40oz said:

It took me forever, but i found this screenshot where a similar texture is used.

Actually now that I can see the texture firsthand, I think now I can make it myself. Earthquake, I may use your texture as a base.

That screen shot is from half life blue shift if anyone had the game so could rip it and use it as a base for the doom texture.

I can't as I no longer have the game unfortunatly.

I'd rather only use doom textures as the base for this set of textures. I'm pretty sure I can make my own version of it now that I can see how the tarp stretches, like where all the ripples in it are.

EDIT:
And here it is!

It took me a long time to get it just right. It tiles with Earthquakes tarp as well except the crate doesn't have any shading on it like his does. I'm not really sure how to go about doing that without editing the top half of the crate pixel by pixel. I also slapped some UAC logos on the crates for fun.

Damn there's some good textures coming out of this thread. That black UAC really does look like it's been spraypainted mass-production-style over wood.

Is there an existing flat which goes well as the top of the crate?

40oz, I don't know what software you're using for your textures and edits, but I'd highly suggest blending the UAC logos you've put on stuff to show the backdrop through it a bit. The solid-color overlays look very unnatural and detached from the surface. Make them a bit less opaque, experiment with the different layer blending modes in Photoshop (or Paint.NET or GIMP or whatever), and if you want to get really fancy, give them a layer mask of some noise and scratches/scribbles, and adjust the mask's brightness/contrast until you get just the right amount of wear and tear while still having the overlay be clearly readable.

Here's a top that works okay:

And I did some shading on the tarped crates:

Nice work on the fabric effects, by the way. I'm terrible when it comes to making cloth-like materials.

esselfortium said:

40oz, I don't know what software you're using for your textures and edits, but I'd highly suggest blending the UAC logos you've put on stuff to show the backdrop through it a bit. The solid-color overlays look very unnatural and detached from the surface. Make them a bit less opaque, experiment with the different layer blending modes in Photoshop (or Paint.NET or GIMP or whatever), and if you want to get really fancy, give them a layer mask of some noise and scratches/scribbles, and adjust the mask's brightness/contrast until you get just the right amount of wear and tear while still having the overlay be clearly readable.

I edit them pixel by pixel using MS Paint and it's pencil tool.

Jeez, download GIMP or Paint.net or something. They're freeware.

I made this entirely with cut and paste using a tiny bit of Earthquake's PIPES textures and the rest with the RWDEMON patches.

I made this using BRNSMALC and BRNSMALL

Also I found that in the prerelease of doom there were a pair of unfinished sky textures. I took a stab at making one of them. I feel as though the black sky and the bright sand don't go together very well though.

That texture won't work as a sky (which is why they scrapped it). Take a look at it in-game, and it will be glaringly obvious why.

Oh yeah: THOSE FUCKING STARBROWN TEXTURES ARE FUCKING AWESOME!!

Damn, I just came back to see if my help was still needed. Nice work guys!

EarthQuake said:

That texture won't work as a sky

I just tried it. I dont get it. Where'd the sky go and how do I fix it?

EarthQuake said:

THOSE FUCKING STARBROWN TEXTURES ARE FUCKING AWESOME!!

Also, I tried the sky in both vanilla and Chocolate Doom. Worked just fine for me. What's wrong? Is it bad because it's a horizon? It aliases?

I was just wondering if you have started working on the wad for these textures. I think you've got a great theme coming from these textures.

EarthQuake said:

The perspective doesn't look right. Unless you're supposed to be at the bottom of a big sand basin.

That was my initial reaction simply from seeing the texture posted to the thread. Neat idea but it's not going to work.

Nomad said:

Jeez, download GIMP or Paint.net or something. They're freeware.

Meh, I couldn't get on with the GIMP interface at all.

Anyways, here are some MIDSPACE variants I had lying around already.

Cybershark said:

Meh, I couldn't get on with the GIMP interface at all.

Check out GIMPshop, a hack of GIMP to mirror the menus of Photoshop. It's a couple of releases behind now but is still functionally comparable to PS7.