Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spaztacus

Doom Revisited

I think someone should play on this idea and do a "Doom - xx years later" was. Something like remake the old levels, but with textures that make them look aged. And the story line would be something like "UAC tries to restart Phobos lab and it all happens again."

I think it could be a cool idea. Maybe its been done, if so point me in the right direction to play it.

I would try to make it, but I suck at textures.

So, the same exact levels, with different textures? I sure hope that's not what you mean.

No, not same exact levels with different textures. Have similar, but then add diffferent areas that have the same feel.

I get this feeling of him asking for...

KDIZD styled levels but in Doom 2 format but with aged textures (same style textures but old).
I may be wrong?

This almost reminds me of the description of Demon Eclipse's now-canceled (or rather moved to a future project) fourth episode.

Finally, after killing the Moloch of Abaddon, you made it to Mars. It seems that years have passed since you were thrown into the pits of Hell. The Martian facilities are nothing by dark tunnels littered with the bodies of countless demons and of the marines that tried to defend against them. Somehow, you feel as if you're in for a big fight once again.

Granted it's not talking about remaking the original maps, but I like the idea of the site of the original invasion being abandoned for years, maybe simply entombed in concrete or steel like the Chernobyl reactor to avoid the dangers of trying to deal with it in other ways, only to have something break out decades later...

Yeah, somthing like that. Kinda like the Doom 3 expansion.

I am not too good at putting my ideas to words. Maybe that also why I have a hard time finishing wads.

I have thought about doing something like this. Some time ago I started retexturing E1M1 in Doom 2 style as an exercise in teaching myself cohesive environments but never finished it. It was just green/brown/metal E1M1 anyway.

What I'd really like to see is the original Episode 1 remade to modern detail standards. Not all ZDoom scripting and slopes and changing things around faggotry like KDiZD, but just the original areas and flows in precise modern detail levels with all the good custom textures and tricks modern mappers know, probably even Boom-compatible like the 94 Tune-Up Challenge.

I'd like to do this myself but I'm not a good enough mapper (yet) to produce something I'd be happy with. Maybe one day.

If I'm right, you're making remakes of the original episode but having the locations condemned looking? I like the sound of that actually!

Maybe for some places, have the walls or ceiling beams collapsed onto each other, or have rooms be filled with water/slime due to the water/sewage pipes malfunctioning. As if the UAC just abandoned these locations with the dead bodies and destruction still left behind

yeah, that is closer to my idea. But even then, you could expand upon areas. Like, look into a familair area, but from the outside because fallen bemas are blocking the way. So, you could add some new areas or expand upon some of the outdoor areas to go around some of the old stuff that is too damaged to get through.

Not too sure if it would work with espidoes 2-4 though. The hellish themes can't reall get run down.

Im all in for the last couple of posts here.

No need to do more than E1 for my sake though.

The more I think of it, the more I like the idea actually :D

I get so damn nostalgic just thinking of the maps in E1, so this would have been cool imo

Well, the more I think about it and the more ideas I see from this post, I think I might just give this a shot. Might need some help with textures and ideas, so I will be posting things as needed.

Should this be vanilla doom? Doom 2 for the super shotgun? I don't like the idea of adding scripts and flashy stuff to a classic idea, but maybe.

Check CC4-tex, it's got some great additions.

The dark base textures on Afterglow's page will probably be helpful too.

Vanilla would be fine if you're looking to cram alot of detail and push the limits like Suspended In Dusk. There's nothing wrong with requiring a limit-removing port.

Agree. Doom 2 wouldnt hurt either. I mean, I NEED that ssg hehe...addicted. Also more monsters.

Personally I dont want it to be "flashy" and scripted etc, but thats not up to me I guess ;)