• 3 - BAD
    • 4 - A DISAPPOINTMENT
    • 5 - IT WAS OKAY
    • 6 - AVERAGE
    • 7 - GOOD
    • 8 - VERY GOOD
    • 9 - EXCELLENT
    • 10 - MASTERPIECE

Haha, I put 8 (very good), but it was a disappointment, too! Simply because my expectations were enormous. This is after watching Heretic's demos (all of them) and playing 2/3 of the levels myself. I loved the looks (I even liked the hellish maps even though the hellish theme is not my favourite theme) and if I ever make maps in the future I will study WOS thoroughly. The gameplay is just... varied.

Personally I gave it the best I could and I'm glad this is all finished and thankful for all the feedback. Its just a great sense of relief.

vdgg said:

I loved the looks (I even liked the hellish maps even though the hellish theme is not my favourite theme) and if I ever make maps in the future I will study WOS thoroughly. The gameplay is just... varied.

Dead right mate. I'm not the best when it comes to gameplay and enemy placement. But I'm not the most skilled player at Doom either.

To me, WOS is just as good as playing 2002ado. In fact, I think this is Paul's BEST work since 2002: A DOOM Odyssey.

I gave it an 8. It did have some faults. A bit generic and predictable in some places, but the majority was well constructed and designed, and most of the fights were fun. I think it deserves a 'very good' rating overall.

vdgg said:

Haha, I put 8 (very good), but it was a disappointment, too! Simply because my expectations were enormous.

Hype is overrated, along with many wads that are subject to lots of it. I enjoyed the wad, it looks great etc. but it's not the best thing since sliced bread that should be worshipped like the hype suggests.

And yes the gameplay was a bit questionable at times - eg. too many traps using just imps and demons (even on the later maps), traps in arenas with lots of ammo that contain just a couple of mancubi and free mega powerups occurring regularly (most of which I was able to save for the next map). If it wasn't for -fast (which it worked quite well with in general) I'd have probably switched off before I fell asleep.

I didn't vote based on the numbers, rather I gave it "Good." It's a good classic megawad, but as said before, nothing we haven't seen before. It stays too much in the comfortable zone to get anything better from me; for a higher rating it should have maps (or areas) with different kinds of gameplay such as (but not necessarily all of these) slaughter, sneaking, horror/tension, fast paced fights (does not always equal slaughter), tysoning, etc. There's also those copy/pasted areas. :P

If you want to get most out of WoS, speedrunning (especially on first try) is recommended. That way the gameplay gets much more exciting.

edit:
Hai Brandon.

I loved it and voted the highest rating. I can't get enough of Paul's megawads, I think he's one of the best mappers around. I know when I see his name attached that I'm in for good, solid, classic Doom gameplay. I really hope this isn't his last work for Doom.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

It was alright. I wasn't much a fan of some of the forced Revenant encounters and the like, but I can live with that - I understand that I am not really a good Doom player and others thrive on difficulty. Other than that, it looks nice and atmospheric, etc... 7.5/10.

I think it's good because it's on par with megawads like Scythe and Kama Sutra. I don't think it's better nor worse than those.

I voted 9 because the hellish architecture (what really makes or breaks a megawad for me) was both excellent and also consistent, the latter being important as it's disappointing having a few good maps21-30 and then having the rest be mediocre or generic brick-and-metal maps that just happen to have the hellish sky. And of course the first 19 maps were pretty too, especially as it got out of the techbases.

Very, very few WADs would get a 10 from me.

aldiboronti said:

I really hope this isn't his last work for Doom.

No it isn't. I have been slowly working on a new map for Doom 2. And I will make the occasional stand alone level.

I think its fair to say that Paul is the best thing to ever come out of Ulverstone. A well designed level set let down a bit by too much symmetry at times and some slightly weak game play elements. Its still an amazing effort and well worth the download. 8/10

Esselfortium and Csonicgo, you are posting in the wrong place, this is not the self-portrait thread :-)