Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Swec

just two pic's on my second map - [Updated Again Again]

I am working om my second map. My first map i posted here was just like 4 rooms and quite bad :P

This pic's doesn't say much about the rest of the map. But i have some problem whit some line-def that are scrubbing my map up. (have mabey sorted it out by now)
Should i work on to this map is finished or just drop it dead?

Textures will be edited!

This is early Beta stadium of the map. i will need to build much moar and things will be edited. I also need to test the map so it is balanced on all difficulties etc.

//Martin

Of course you should work on the map until it's finished. Looks pretty good for a second map, but there's a perfectly good thread dedicated to these kinds of posts right here.

Two more pic's. they are NOT! finished.

Floor and ceiling will be replaced and maybe some other textures

Ignore the Yellow skull's just a reminder to me.

I am trying to balance the map and move thing around in different difficulties. But i think i have much much work to balance the map.

Don't really know where i got all textures from. have used many many Wad's

None of the pic's are done in a long way.

Be sure to include your texture wads when you are done.

We dont need another secret water base.

*Oh crap now ive gone and talked about it*

Not the best quality.
Not 100% finished. I rework everything a little bite now and then.

Give me some feedback. Good? bad? Things i can change or make better? Some textures i have missed that i maybe can have use for? Url?

//Martin

All things considered, they're not all that bad. Once you've been editing a while, though, you will probably learn more ways to make your maps more interesting. This is a pretty decent start though.

One thing I would like to point out, off hand, is how massive the "chairs" are compared to Doomguy or the monsters. Might want to consider scaling those down.

Nomad said:

One thing I would like to point out, off hand, is how massive the "chairs" are compared to Doomguy or the monsters. Might want to consider scaling those down.

Only monsters that can fit are the Cyb and Doom64's Mother Demon.

Thanks for the feedback :) I am willing to learn to make better maps and mabey some own textures that i can have use for.

Not the best quality!

I haven't done much work sense the last post.
I have a tough that is that my maps will not be so squared that the most of the wad's are. Playing whit the line-def and vertex to see if i can make something that is fun to play etc.

The chairs are smaller now, but they maybe need a lot more work to it.

I am maybe going to work on this map a long time to make sure i will be plecaced? (the right word?) to play it and prod of it. Or just drop it dead and start on a better one.

In that last screenie, I would make the floor a gray rather than a brown texture. It is hard to mix gray and brown and make it not look noobish. The tan floor doesn't look great with the red stripes around the room either.

This is probably just the editor, but the later screens need to be darker too, if that are that bright ingame.

[edit] I would encourage you to finish this one. You will make the same mistakes/ learn the same lessons finishing this as you would starting a new one. And it is better to finish maps that you start.[/edit]

The wall detail is very good, nice and clean with well aligned textures. With that said, I think you should add something to that ceiling... maybe some height variation or some ceiling lights. I think that would really bring the scene together well.

KingKill33 said:

I happen to like the brown floor. :p

This is Doom. Nobody uses brown in Doom. :P

Just now i i am using DB2 - Doom 2 but all the tutorials out there is using Doom in hexen format?

I am willing to learn to make a map in 'experience way' so just the 'standad' is just better to leave ASP? but to whitch one then? whill my 'old' code that open doors etc work if i do a swap?

Needs an different floor texture, something gray would fit better. And the chairs need some different textures imo. The ceiling can use some lights. Some computer panels or lights in the walls, crates/barrels scattered about.

TheMionicDonut said:

Be sure to include your texture wads when you are done.

We dont need another secret water base.

*Oh crap now ive gone and talked about it*

I am sorry if i am asking a common question but howe do i include my textures to my wad?

I am glad at the feedback. :)
If Doom players don't say what they like it is hard to make a map that is playable.

Just one question.

http://pici.se/pictures/WYcHDOWEP.jpg
(just test)
Witch texture is ment to be used to the 'crates'? the textures i have test used is marked crate but it dont fit in very well it is more like a beach or something like that.

Have i missed some basic textures or is the only options to make a own texture?

Secret Place ;)

EDIT: just discovered that i need to get a way out of here. if a player walks in and the door close the player will not get out :P Problem solved bye editing one-side of the door.

Just testing a bit. Think i have to change textures. but all pic's is like early Beta. Was having a lot of 'not closed sectors' but then i fingered out how to fix it. Was really easy if you know the problem :P solved like 3-4 of them in one line-def.

Just don't have much spare time over. I work 9 hours day and i can't expand the map every minute or day. I think this map maybe take some months to complete (playable not balanced).

//Martin

Bad angel of the pic. Maybe i need to add more monste on each difficult.
Not finished! I haven't fix the light etc

EDIT:

Think i will lower the floor just a little.
But i dont get the 'poision' trap to work. funny.

Also discovered this.

If a player shot in this exactly direction the BFG9000 Shot will 'Explode' in mid air.

But if the player moves a little it work as normal. this is funny. have to work on it.

//Martin

Testing whit some lights and darker. (3d mode not ingame)

edit: I am having big problems to making poison fields :P but traps and etc is no problem. dunno why. I am making them as they should be but the player don't take damage. and also i am having problem whit a door that will not open when you push the button but other doors i have made in the same way work :P

Have to work on this problems. have made some traps and some new areas and locked over some areas and fixed a little.

Stay Tuned for more!

I am maybe not fast but i think this map is fun and hard to play when it is done.
I was making some traps and was confused why it didn't work. Later on i was at work and figured out that i lowered the ceiling instead of rising the floor. The code was working but just some misses by me what the code was doing.

The map is long and maybe very hard in some sectors. A lot of traps and just lock around and enjoy the work or explore the map to 100% (but don't idclip ;) ) There is extra power ups and ammo if the player just take some time and search for them.

The pic's may be changed and i have lot of work to balance the map. Maybe i fix so it will work on co-operative too.

Two more pic's

Brightness mode on(stupid me :P)

I have done a sector more and i think i got i quite balanced but i have a lot of testing later on :) :(

I have not done the light yet, so some more touches will be done hear

Stupid me whit full light on again :P

Feedback plz. ;)

Ohh is you the creator of those textures ? :) I think they fit in very well in a 'dark cave' environment.

Some edits have been done and will be. Not finished at all. I have a lot on this map to do. I think i make quite goo map for just this one just for begin my first serious map.

But what do i know. It is the players when all is done that rate the map good, ok, bad ;)

//Martin