Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snarboo

1994 tune-up challenge (*updated /idgames link*)

Is this a good idea?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea?

• Yay
    • Nay

Undersea update:

http://dragonsbrethren.slickproductions.org/files/doommaps/db_usea2.zip

Changes:

• Fixed ceiling flat used around lights in first cave area.
  • Somehow I overlooked a pretty big tag issue that was causing certain ceilings to be too bright/dark - this was fixed.
  • Added trim, lights, and other detail to a few areas that were lacking them.
  • Added TRAN50 and TRAN80 lumps; translucent walls make use of these now.
  • Restored the bloodfall concealing a plasma gun to my original configuration (only translucent from behind; can't remember why I changed it).
  • Added DM starts.
  • Added DM exclusive teleporter back into cave area from demonic citadel. This is behind a wall in the yellow key area.
  • Practically doubled the monster count for DM/Co-op. I tested this solo and it's still possible to complete the map, so I have no worries about an actual co-op game.
  • Added DM exclusive weapon and ammo pickups. Co-op should be pretty balanced in terms of ammo already.
  • Replaced keys with weapons, powerups, or monsters in DM/Co-op.
  • There were still a few places where players could be isolated from one another in co-op/DM; switches have been added to remedy this.
  • Tagged the bloodfall that hides a plasma gun and the ledges with powerups in the final cave area as secret.
  • Added a barrier to prevent backtracking through caves after grabbing the blue key (can be opened from behind).
  • Made the barriers that rise when fighting the Barons into crushers (doesn't make much sense, but it prevents visual oddities when the player or monsters are standing on them when they raise).
  • Included the original undersea.wad and .txt (yeah, I missed that part of the the rules too).
This can be considered a "final" release unless more issues are found.

Snarboo, do you have the updated version of my map or the one with the voodoo doll bug?

Since I lost everything in a hardware crash a few months back, I lost all of the map submissions up to that point. If you wouldn't mind uploading the most recent version of your map, that would help tremendously.

Edit:
Actually, I should have pointed that out ASAP, but it hasn't been an issue so far. I'll call for updated maps here in a while once I get up the nerve to finish testing what has been submitted so far.

Snarboo said:

Since I lost everything in a hardware crash a few months back, I lost all of the map submissions up to that point. If you wouldn't mind uploading the most recent version of your map, that would help tremendously.

Oh, bad stuff to hear... Whatever my maps (pie and nefcat) is located in his "projects" folder, so if you want them just let me know.

walter confalonieri said:

Oh, bad stuff to hear... Whatever my maps (pie and nefcat) is located in his "projects" folder, so if you want them just let me know.

This was quite a few weeks ago, probably at the start of August. I have both of the maps you recently submitted, so you don't have to worry.

Snarboo said:

This was quite a few weeks ago, probably at the start of August. I have both of the maps you recently submitted, so you don't have to worry.

All right...

No, I haven't yet. I'll test it tonight.

Edit:
I got about halfway through your map before I was killed by the revenants in the slime pit. It plays and looks great so far. I'll try and have it finished here soon. :)

I just finished testing your map, UOD. The map looks and plays fine for the most part. There were only a few problems I noticed while playing:

1. The side of this lift that can be seen from the secret armor room next to it has its lower unpegged.
  2. It is not obvious that the marked linedef in this picture is a lift. As a result, I fell into the slime pit and nearly died searching for a lift out of it. Perhaps use a more appropriate texture?
  3. This switch needs to be realigned, as the switch is not visible on the line. Here is a map shot of the area so you know where I am talking about.
  4. This crate past the subway cars needs to be lowered.
I can post map shots for any of the screens if their location is not obvious.

Snarboo said:

The side of this lift that can be seen from the secret armor room next to it has its lower unpegged.

The line is unpegged because otherwise the texture on the inside of the elevator won't be aligned correctly. I can't fix it without messing with the architecture. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal.

Snarboo said:

This switch needs to be realigned, as the switch is not visible on the line.

That switch is aligned fine when I play the map. The texture it's showing in the pic isn't even the one I used. Very peculiar. Can someone else please test the map and see if it produces the same behavior?

I did load the texture wad with it, but that shouldn't have replaced any of the existing textures. Hmm.

U.O.D. said:

That switch is aligned fine when I play the map. The texture it's showing in the pic isn't even the one I used. Very peculiar. Can someone else please test the map and see if it produces the same behavior?

Took me a while to find that switch, but having done so I've found the problem - you didn't include the texture replacement wad as a resource while editing the map. SW1STONE in Doom is half the width of it's Doom2 counterpart and uses different backing patches in it's assembly.

I wonder how many other differently constructed textures are waiting for an opportunity to bite us?

Just in case anyone is wondering, I am not dead nor has my map been forgotten about. Just been busy with school and other stuff. I'll hopefully have it out by next week.

GreyGhost said:

Took me a while to find that switch, but having done so I've found the problem - you didn't include the texture replacement wad as a resource while editing the map. SW1STONE in Doom is half the width of it's Doom2 counterpart and uses different backing patches in it's assembly.

I'm a little confused. All the textures I used should be from Doom 2 IWAD.

U.O.D. said:

You did nothing wrong, rather the issue is caused by the optional texture pack I created for the project. Since a lot of maps from 1994 were for the original Doom and this project is for Doom 2, I created a texture pack that included missing textures not found in Doom 2. It's caused a few headaches, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Just posting to say that my academic life will be truly a hell on earth until december 7th (final exams and that kind of things), so i'll be unable to work on comcon. But i'll finish it before the deadline, i promise.

U.O.D. said:

Some Doom textures have been re-defined or replaced in Doom2. Here's a list of troublemakers to watch out for...

BRNPOIS is twice as wide in Doom2.
STEP1 to STEP3 are 8 pixels high in Doom, 16 in Doom2.
SW1BRCOM appears several times in Doom2's texture lump - replacing SW1BRN1, SW1STARG, SW1STON2 and SW1STONE.
NUKEPOIS is twice as wide in Doom2.
SHAWN1 is constructed a little differently.

Getting back to your problem - replacing SW1STONE with SW1BRCOM will restore compatibility with the texture replacement wad.

GreyGhost said:

Some Doom textures have been re-defined or replaced in Doom2. Here's a list of troublemakers to watch out for...

BRNPOIS is twice as wide in Doom2.
STEP1 to STEP3 are 8 pixels high in Doom, 16 in Doom2.
SW1BRCOM appears several times in Doom2's texture lump - replacing SW1BRN1, SW1STARG, SW1STON2 and SW1STONE.
NUKEPOIS is twice as wide in Doom2.
SHAWN1 is constructed a little differently.

Getting back to your problem - replacing SW1STONE with SW1BRCOM will restore compatibility with the texture replacement wad.

Will do.

Judging by the front page, slowly. Snarboo should start doing required check ups and marking people who don't report their progress.. just to push this project along a little.

Sounds like a good idea. I've been really behind on this project for no particular reason.

First off, I think it would help if I designated a small group of people along with myself as testers. That way if I'm behind on testing, I can count on the testers to give me a status update and get this out faster.

Secondly, I'm going to start marking contributors that do not post status updates. If they haven't updated in 3 weeks, I will move them to the runoff roster. They can claim their old spot if they wish after posting an update.

That should help get things rolling again. Who would like to apply as a tester?

Well, even if I'm a perfect stranger on here, I'd be happy to give you a hand. I like those old maps and keep playing WADs from 1994 to 1997 quite often, since I find in these a gameplay style that I particularly like.

As I said on another topic, I'm mostly a regular player, and still play using a paddle rather than the widly used keyboard + mouse combo, always in HMP, not more, not less.

I would have really liked to contribute to this project by mapping, but testing might be more useful, as there are already lots of people on the runoff list !

I'm not sure some of those people on the list still come here, haven't seen posts from some of them for a while. I can test stuff, although I never got around to finish playing through subway.wad for UOD ...