Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DoomsdayRooster

Editing Monster Movement

What determines monsters' roaming around like pigeons? Can I create my own idle movement patterns for them?

Also, is it possible to create a genuinely strafing monster? Could it strafe around its target as a primary or secondary movement pattern (if those can exist,) or would I have to alter all of the sprites to face the player, to mimic such strafing?

TYVMIA

If you're not familiar with the zdoom acs programming language, you might check that out. Various links to zdoom wiki/helpful stuff etc and a test wad I made doing various experiments in this thread:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/48304-messing-around-with-zdoom-acs-update-10-17/

I dunno how to make a strafing monster without looking at built in functions and such to see if it'd be possible (or maybe decorate or dehacked or whatever might be a better route, dunno). I'm not the biggest expert on this stuff so just experiment naively as I go. You can make a monster pace back and forth or whatever though I think (in a zdoom doom in (i meant hexen) format map). click 'edit scripts' in doombuilder or whatever it says to see or make code. I made some monsters hop in a square repeatedly. There's other functions like 'monster hate' or something like that that can focus them on specific targets.

Mexican Jumping Imps!

You may have just answered a question I had about monster targets (I'd like to create 2 factions to fight you and each other). I will look into this ACS.

Thanks!

Captain Toenail said:

Using FaceTarget, Thrustthing etc. you can create jumping and strafing monsters quite easily.

Or you could use HeXen's A_FastChase which is the same as A_Chase except it will randomly thrust the mobj left or right.

Very informative. I hope to present you all with the results in the future.

BTW, is it possible without scripting, to make one group of monsters inherently hate another? If not then I would try to use scripts to make one group aggressive towards the other room by room.

Do you mean like every single (reverent, or insert monster type here) in the entire level hates every single (cacodemon, or insert monster type here) in the entire level? If so I'd guess scripts would be a fairly easy way (just pile a bunch of cacos (or whatever) together and tag them all the same. Then put them wherever you want.