Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

What Quake Sourceport do you use?

I have only been playing Quake on Dosbox recently as it is the only way to play it on Vista without a sourceport. My question is, what one do you use and would recommend as the best?

I downloaded Darkplaces last night and I am having a blast with it, but are there any better source ports that I am missing out on?

tl;dr: what is the best Quake source port in your opinion.

Edit: I really feel like a n00b, called it darknights instead of darkplaces. ;)

Mattfrie1 said:

I have only been playing Quake on Dosbox recently as it is the only way to play it on Vista without a sourceport.

WinQuake works perfectly fine for me, unless you consider that a port.

I haven't played Quake in a few years, but Fuhquake was what I used to use for online Quake. I can't for the life of me remember what my offline port was, but it was all crazy and bumpmapped with crazy dynamic lighting. But I bet at this point I'm fairly certain Darkplaces is better.

Edit: The port I was talking about is Tenebrae, as a google search quickly determined.

I use WinQuake for Quake play and ezQuake for QuakeWorld play. Recently I've been popping onto some QuakeWorld servers, mostly just FFA because I'm not familiar enough to get anything more organized going, but I wouldn't mind trying CTF or team deathmatch. I also watch some speed running and deathmatch demos. I've only been playing on id levels and I doubt I'll change that much because playing mods is engrossing. It's enough that I do that with DOOM, as it is.

I use software mode at 320x200 without any weird effects or alterations. I do the same with DOOM engines anyway :p

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Tenebrae generally speaking. I generated normalmaps and specmaps myself for most of the textures, because the procedurally-generated ones look like vomited feces.

Darkplaces, but I'm hearing of a bug that prevents you from finishing a level in Scourge of Armagon. Can anyone confirm this?

i use winquake, suprisingly even though it comes with the rest of the original exes, it works with vista.

i only have the shareware version of quake at the moment, but i am looking to buy the full game(s).

I use FitzQuake for pretty much everything. If I have issues with running a level in FitzQuake (the most common problem I run into on some maps is being stuck in walls/ceilings at the start and unable to move, short of using noclip), then I'll switch to DarkPlaces.

Beyond those two, I don't use any other ports unless a mod/add-on/level calls for a different port.

I like to use Darkplaces because when you turn up all the GFX options and download the Hi-Res pack its fucking sexy!

Rohit_N said:

Darkplaces, but I'm hearing of a bug that prevents you from finishing a level in Scourge of Armagon. Can anyone confirm this?

I finished the three games, Quake and the two packs, with Darkplaces.