Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomsdayRooster

Black lines in my textures

Zdoom has been displaying a single pixel-thin strip of black in-game in certain textures in a map I'm making.

Note the misaligned repeat. The texture is also displayed differently in Doom Builder 2 (I realize it might be beta or something so that might explain it, but has this ever been a common problem?)

The door is a sector with minimal height and the texture is on the upper front linedef.

This has also appeared in another area, a cramped 'vent' I made with a deadend GRAY2 texture. Changing the offset will move the black line around, and I successfully hid it but had to compromise my map design by a couple of pixels. Unforgivable.

What's going on?

This has happened to me too before. I use Doom Builder 1 and I was using the patch SILVER1 and at the left edge the black line appeared.
I am not sure what causes it because it did not apear in every sector.

Tutti Frutti

The door surface is taller than door texture. Use a 128-tall texture, or make the doorway have a height of 96 (or lower) for that specific texture.

22Alpha22 said:

SILVER1

Screenshots or it didn't happen. 128-tall textures can be tiled however they want without displaying Tutti Frutti.

DoomsdayRooster said:

Zdoom has been displaying a single pixel-thin strip of black in-game in certain textures in a map I'm making.

[image]

Note the misaligned repeat. The texture is also displayed differently in Doom Builder 2 (I realize it might be beta or something so that might explain it, but has this ever been a common problem?)

The door is a sector with minimal height and the texture is on the upper front linedef.

This has also appeared in another area, a cramped 'vent' I made with a deadend GRAY2 texture. Changing the offset will move the black line around, and I successfully hid it but had to compromise my map design by a couple of pixels. Unforgivable.

What's going on?

Whenever I get a black line like that, it means I have misaligned a patch in a particular texture, and there is a gap between patches. It is the same black you get if you use a texture that is partially see-through (MIDGRATE for example) on a solid surface, like a one sided impassable line. Usually easily fixed in Slumped or XWE.

22Alpha22 said:

heh

huh?

EarthQuake said:

Tutti Frutti

The door surface is taller than door texture. Use a 128-tall texture, or make the doorway have a height of 96 (or lower) for that specific texture.

Negative on tutti frutti (I think?)

64 x 64 x 64 cube.

The black line appears when the y offset is -1 or lower. Attempts to get the alignment I wanted by increasing the offset to 64+ and having the texture repeat also failed.

Kyka said:

Whenever I get a black line like that, it means I have misaligned a patch in a particular texture, and there is a gap between patches. It is the same black you get if you use a texture that is partially see-through (MIDGRATE for example) on a solid surface, like a one sided impassable line. Usually easily fixed in Slumped or XWE.

It does appear to be that same black line, but these are stock D2 textures and the error comes and goes depending on the offset.

It's Tutti Frutti.

Both of those textures you are using are shorter than 128. Giving them a negative offset with make them tile vertically at some point. Tutti Frutti happens when short textures tile vertically... that is, they are drawn once (with or without an offset), and when the texture ends, it's drawn again. Doom's renderer does this in multiples of 128, so any areas of the texture that do not fill the remaining area will have random garbage added. The wiki article explains everything in detail... although it doesn't mention anything about Y offsets on short textures... though it can be inferred that negative offsets will induce vertical tiling sooner.

Possible solutions: modify the TEXTURE1 lump so the textures in question are 128 (this can be done to GRAY2 very easily), use lower/upper unpeg flags to align short textures, or change the heights of the walls.

sorry if it is a bit of. but why is it called tutti frutti?

I live in Sweden and Tutti frutti is a candy sort here :P

I have done some of thesis 'build's' but never appeared as a problem for me.

Swec said:

sorry if it is a bit of. but why is it called tutti frutti?

I live in Sweden and Tutti frutti is a candy sort here :P

I have done some of thesis 'build's' but never appeared as a problem for me.

Because the randomly-colored garbage pixels reminded the guy who named the bug of this: