Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fenriswolf

Heretic levels in Hexen?

Hello again...
Is it possible to play the Heretic levels with Hexen? I tried to extract them via XWE and then load them in Doombuilder to convert them but it didnt work. Is there another possibility? That is the smost simple way to do this?

Heretic levels use the same map format as Doom. Hexen levels are not. In order to play Doom-format maps in Hexen, you have to convert them with a utility called zwadconv.exe to Hexen format. You can find it in the tool bundle on ZDoom.org.

As of Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6 you can load any map for DOOM, Heretic or Hexen in any supported game. As yet there is no re-mapping of textures, things, line specials, etc..., so it won't really produce a playable result though.

Same in ZDoom. The map as such would load but that's it. All the referenced data between the games is different except a very small number of shared items.

They wouldn't even spawn. ZDoom would just show the famous exclamation mark for anything without sprites.

Things are not xlated, so instead of a gargoyle, you'd get a tombstone, for example. It would be odd, but you wouldn't get invisible enemies.

Hm, I would also be able to remap some maps manually or switching the tombstones to Affrits etc... Thats not the problem. The problem is I want to get it into Hexen ;) I downloaded zwadconv.exe and someone said i would have to drop a wad file on the exe to convert it, I made a copy of the heretic.wad and dropped it on the executable but nothing did happen. When I start the executable, a window opens for a very short time but closes afterwards (to fast to read whats written)... So what do I have exactly to do? The manual in the zip-file was not that large, just some notes that couldnt help me with this starting problem.

I think you only get invisible enemies by spawning them in the wrong game. It's funny to summon a cybie in hexen or heretic - see rockets come out of NOWHERE!

Okay, it worked :D
First, I was shocked by the website because it seemed like a lot of work, but you simply had do type this:

C:\Programme\Spiele\Skulltag\ZDoom\zwadconv.exe heretic.wad output2.wad
into the commandline and everything was okay :)
Okay, I still have to retexture the maps and to replace all the things ( lot of work) but it seems to work :)