Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bragg

Loser and WadAuthor?...an Idea

I got a (brilliant?) "IDEA".

We've been waiting a year for the new WadAuthor editor.
But John Williston runs a professional Consulting business that has been very busy ---- so naturally his WadAuthor has to take a back seat.
(John explained this to us in his posts last summer).

SUGGESTION:
Loser is a coder, a Programmer.
He seems to like W/A, because he's been messing around with a feature in it.
Any chance of persuading Loser to take over a LOT of work on the new WadAuthor? (Maybe we could all twist his arm, or bribe him with Case o' Beer? <g>).
Or---just politely ask him to "Consider talking to John about helping to get the new W/A out the door" (??)

If he said "Yes", I'll bet we'd get our new W/A Editor quicker --- a LOT quicker.
Comments anyone??? Good Idea???
Bragg

Hi Bragg. Long time no see.

One comment I have on your suggestion is that Csabo (Loser) has his own utility, XWE. I wonder if he'll have time to work on WadAuthor as well. Still, your suggestion has merit.

XWE is going to have a level editor too, I don't think that he'd like to work on two... besides it's going to be quite good (the XWE map editor I mean). It can edit ZDoom format maps already.

I'm not sure John would want that, from what he wrote to me it sounded like he has plans of his own.

However, since the last release of XWE (1.09 in last November) I've concentrated mostly on the map editor. When I release the new version, it will be nearly the equivalent of WadAuthor. I see Espi just beat me with a post :-) I have to thank him for a lot of good requests and suggestions (some of which I'm still working on).

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Hi gentlemen:
Thanx for the replies.

Espi, I never heard of XWE. What is it?

Loser, thanks for whatever it is you're working on, sounds great. An editor of some sort?

Rex, hi! Nice to see you're still around. You can tell I've been outta the loop a long time by fact that I don't even know what xwe is. I'll try to get by here more often.
Bragg

I never heard of XWE. What is it?

To elaborate a little more on Csabo's reply, XWE is a versatile utility that does several things. A few that I know of are:

1. Lump management in DooM -- it allows the user to insert, delete, modify, and generally manipulate the elements of a wad, including things like MAPINFO, palettes, and color gradients.

2. Map editor for DooM -- Csabo is working to incorporate full map editing capabilities.

3. Graphics Viewing for various games -- XWE allows the user to open up the resource file of a butt-load of games (Shadow Warrior, Dark Forces, Duke 3D, etc., etc.) and view and copy the patches.

There's plenty more, but these are the ones I remember. Go to his site for details.

Thanx again, for the additional XWE info.
I went to the site, and read a list of the "capabilities" of XWE. (Wow. Does it also Bake Bread?)

We gotta do something about getting this dude a new name, 'cause he's definitely no 'loser'.

See you all again (hopefully soon)....
Bragg

We gotta do something about getting this dude a new name, 'cause he's definitely no 'loser'.

Amen.

Regarding xWE's level editor, would it be too much trouble to ask for a WadEd style draw lines and MAKE SECTOR mode?

I just want something that draws levels in this way, as WadEd is the ONLY one, and I prefer it. I'm not the only one either, as there's Julian, Lüt, Rellik, infirmity and some others...

Just a suggestion.... xWE owns already - the only thing I use WinTex for nowadays is easily offsetting sprites.

I will try to implement it, you are not the first one to ask for it. It would (will) be a useful feature.

(Plus a small note: as you can see I finally changed my handle to my real nickname: Csabo (pronounced chabo). So I guess I'm back to Newbie.)

I will try to implement it, you are not the first one to ask for it. It would (will) be a useful feature.

Are you planning to offer sector-based map-editing too, or are you going to switch completely to linedef-based?

I don't think I will make such distinction. It's easy to implement both ways, so everyone can edit in their 'style'.

It's easy to implement both ways, so everyone can edit in their 'style'.

It's a pity certain other coders don't see things this way, as although there are more 'effective' ways to draw the levels, every user is different and entitled to choose which method they use, surely?

Nice to hear, Csabo, that you're taking feedback like this. The Doom community should very well, as a whole, salute you.

Nice to hear, Csabo, that you're taking feedback like this. The Doom community should very well, as a whole, salute you.

Ever since I had the opportunity to work with Csabo last year I realized that he is open to suggestions. Good for him.

Csabo, I "second" Jay, Rex, etc.......Big thanx from the Doom Community for what you're doing.
Heh, heh, looks like we got a name-change too!! <g>).

Rex that will be real cool advancement----to have an Editor that lets guys build maps using either the "line-draw" method or the "sector" method.
(Or, am I stupidly "mis-understanding" what some Mappers here asked Csabo for---and what he replied???)

Csabo, if you can give me a level editor that works like WADED, you'd replace Jackie Chan as my hero....

I love the way you can edit Fraggle script in the map headers without having to remove/re-insert the lump. Nice!

Csabo is my hero now, anyway. Has been for months, as 100% of my attention has been on my Exhumed TC, which wouldn't have been possible without either (a) learning a bunch of awful, icky duke3d/build tools and trying to get them to work with other BUILD games or (b) xWE.

I have a suggestion, though: For those people who like to edit text lumps in xWE itself, can't you make the ctrl-C/X/V keys work with the text instead of the lumps, when editing text?

Just a suggestion. Please don't tell me I'm the only one who edits text lumps this way ;)

Lament: XWE runs on Windows only, sorry.

Jayextee: You did mention that before, I definitely will fix it in the new release. Did you get my email about testing?

Rellik: Did you get my email about testing?

Csabo: Got the mail. You might regret it, I'm quite thorough and ten times as picky about things ;)

Nah, testing one of my favourite tools - it'll be a blast! ^_^

Haven't got your mail yet, but I just 'upgraded' to Win98 and still haven't gotten off my ass to sort out my mail. I'm definitely up for testing though!

That's good to hear. With the "Q/A Team" of JayXtee and Rellik in charge of testing, that Editor will be even more awesome. BTW (dunno how he feels about it, haven't talked to him) ReX would be fine addition to your team. He's very painstaking when building levels. Prolly would be same, as a tester.
Just a thought, if I'm outta line for suggesting it, my apologies, don't mean to be pushy.

BTW, Csabo (or is that Loser? :)), thanks for sending me that Window .WAD I asked you for. It's solved a lot of problems. :)

Me, QA? Heh, that's quite funny. I'm just an editing guy who wants his favourite editor updated, abd has tried the rest in the meantime, and doesn't really like them.

But still, I digress... it's cool to have a hand in any Doom tool that's still being updated, since my own attempt is a LONG way off... if at all.

Csabo,

I've been out of the loop for a while in relation to XMB, and I'm wondering if it'd be possible to include the option to expand the editor with special configs for different engines. I.E., Load Heretic Mode, you have access to all of the Heretic Linedefs, Sector Types; then you could go to JDoom mode and have the XG defs, go to ZDoom have direct access to ACS and special linedef types, and so on and so forth.

Making the creation of such configs easy would encourage the developers of ports and engines to create and include them with their download packages. It would be truly a cool thing.

Another little idea that I don't know whether or not it would be feasible involves allowing users to define their own linedef type with it's own name that could be visibly pointed to in the interface with an alias, but behind the scenes would link the line with a ACS, DDF, DEF, etc. script.

Thanks for the great software,
RCM