Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hobomaster22

Collecting Doom Stuff

So I've been collecting random Doom stuff over the years. I haven't had anywhere to put it really and it would be nice to put it on display but if I had friends over they would be like O_o. So I just moved and pulled it all out of the closet and I guess I didn't realize how much it was. I can't be the only one with this obsession. Who else?

Also pic:

Most will probably be thinking: OMG WTF they made Doom for that? Or: I didn't even know that console existed??

I have some more random stuff somewhere mostly little CDs like the Doom Mania and other weird things that were released through the years. I love looking at them and finding the differences / discrepancies. I think I'm crazy >_<.

Krispavera said:

What's the box on the right with the purple DOOM text?

It's a Doom shareware distributed by a third party company. There's a few of them. The company is Micro Star? It's the only third party shareware I have in the box. I found it sealed, I thought it was pretty cool.

This is awesome. In a way, it makes my collection look small and insignificant.

I almost bought a GBA for Doom II alone. Very nice collection, sir.

Thanks, Dittohead. I've been looking for Doom II for gba because it's just about the only console version I don't have. But I can't find the damned thing in the box.

Buy it now for 9.99!

I wish I had the box for my copy of Doom 64 :(

Missing 3 of the Doom novels :P

I only have the Doom Collector's Edition, Master Levels for Doom II, Doom for SNES, Doom 64, all 4 Doom novels and Masters of Doom in my collection. I would like to get Tricks of the Doom Programming Gurus but probably never will. I may even get PSX Doom/Final Doom eventually.

That's quite impressive, here's my collection at the moment:

It's stupid how much old Doom shovelware CDs are going for on eBay these days, people have some perception they're worth $60 for some reason. You can buy the actual games cheaper than that!

Is your id Anthology box complete? They are worth over US$250 these days.

Ooh, someone with both the Guru book and 3D Game Alchemy book. I have a question:

I heard that the 3D Game Alchemy book was basically a reprint of the Guru book with some things switched around. Is this true? And if it is, how different are the two and which would you recommend to buy if you had to pick one?

If you're looking for actual useful books, I wouldn't recommend buying any of them. They're all basically long-winded descriptions with pictures of every intrinsically-named Vanilla feature (seriously, how long does it take to describe a W1 line) and how to use it in DCK or EdMap or some other old DOS thing which is inferior to Doom Builder.

Dr Sleep's Doom Builder tutorial teaches you more about mapping, Hank's Doom FAQ teaches you more about the game, and the Unofficial Editing Specs, BOOMREF.TXT and the Doom Wiki have more precise engine info with actual source code samples.

I have them for collector's value only.

Next time I see Freelanzer online I'll have him post his Doom collection. He's got a good one too. :)

He's been off fulfilling his conscription duty though, so I have no idea when he'll be around.

Scuba Steve said:

Looks like somebody is missing Urban Brawl in their collection.

Yes I am :(

Super Jamie said:

That's quite impressive, here's my collection at the moment:

It's stupid how much old Doom shovelware CDs are going for on eBay these days, people have some perception they're worth $60 for some reason. You can buy the actual games cheaper than that!

Is your id Anthology box complete? They are worth over US$250 these days.

Yeah I noticed sometimes they're asking way too much. It's like they don't notice the same thing going for 99 cents on ebay... and then nobody bids on it!

My id Anthology has everything but the T-shirt. One just went off on ebay for 250 with the T-shirt.

I like your collection, its different because it's European and everything looks a little different (from the US versions). In fact The Ultimate Doom box looks completely different. I've been interested in the Doom 3 board game. How is it? :P

Quite a few of my things are from UK eBay, and I'm in Australia myself.

The boardgame looks quite cool, the pieces are detailed enough and would look good painted, the rules seem fun and the game board is in corridors and intersections so you can re-organise maps to suit different skill levels and scenarios.

Unfortunately I don't really have any friends nerdy enough to play with. I do know a friend-of-a-friend who plays regularly, but his group is full at the moment.

I also went to a computer market this morning and picked up a Quake jewel case for $6.

I am also interested in one of those books more for the collector's appeal and was wondering which book would give me more bang for my buck. The original questions still stand.

Nemark said:

I am also interested in one of those books more for the collector's appeal and was wondering which book would give me more bang for my buck. The original questions still stand.

Depends on what you want the book for. Much of the Gurus content also appears in 3D Game Alchemy - however - while the former spends 330 pages introducing the reader to editors (DEU, EdMap, DoomEd, WADED, DoomCAD, DCK and DeeP/HeeP) utilities and launchers, the latter commits just over 100 pages to WadAuthor, WADED and a few utilities - it also covers Hexen editing.

hobomaster22 said:

Yeah I noticed sometimes they're asking way too much. It's like they don't notice the same thing going for 99 cents on ebay... and then nobody bids on it!

My id Anthology has everything but the T-shirt. One just went off on ebay for 250 with the T-shirt.

I managed to pick one up recently (in immaculate condition but missing the t-shirt) for just over $100, made it worth my while to sit up past 2am watching for snipers.

I'll have to set my stuff up somewhere and take a few pictures.

I need to update my collection. While it isn't so much of a Doom collection, it's more like a collection of ID games.

My Collection,
Doom 2 ,Master Levels of Doom 2 (with Poster), Final Doom (with the box)
Doom 3 (PC no box and the Xbox Collectors) resurrection of evil (PC and Xbox) D!Zone,D!zone 150 D!Zone 2, Doom Companion Edition (CD),Demon Gate Mega Collection, Demon gate 666, The Doom Construction Kit, The Ultimate Add On Collection for Doom/Doom II,Tricks of the Doom Programming Gurus/Book and Cd,The Doom Hacker's Guide, And up until this morning Doom Heaven 1 and 2.

Alas The Doom Heaven CDS are Brittle as hell. Pulled number 2 from the case and the CD snapped in two. and the first one exploded in my CD Drive Perhaps its the Will of id? Will post a picture soon with my stuff for yall

hobomaster22 said:

Most will probably be thinking: OMG WTF they made Doom for that? Or: I didn't even know that console existed??

I have some more random stuff somewhere mostly little CDs like the Doom Mania and other weird things that were released through the years. I love looking at them and finding the differences / discrepancies. I think I'm crazy >_<.

Is that Doom Collector's Edition in a big box? I only have a thin, DVD case sized one.

Ryathaen said:

Is that Doom Collector's Edition in a big box? I only have a thin, DVD case sized one.

Yes, there's two different versions of the Collector's Edition released at different times. The big box one is from 2001. The one you have must have the Doom 3 preview stuff on it released right before Doom 3 came out 2004 maybe? The US version is in a small CD case. UK is in a DVD like case I think. I don't own a copy of the newer one.

I have Heretic SSR in cardboard case and Hexen in jewel case, they're the light brown and dark brown discs to the right of Doom 64.

Also on that shelf is D!Zone Gold, D!Zone 2, Strife and Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition.

BlazingPhoenix said:

You're missing Heretic and Hexen. :(

Technically not Doom, but I do have Chex Quest with its case thing. The main reason I got this is because I remember being in the store with my grandma being like 'OHHH I WANT CHEX'(seeing the game on it). The game engrossed me for hours, the same as Doom shareware and Final Doom. (All I had back then). But then little did I know it was Doom with different graphics!

Finding the Chex Quest so many years later was a pain in the ass actually. I obviously used to have it but my parents probably threw it away along with the Doom shareware disks and Final Doom. The sad part is I think the Pentium 1 Compaq I played them on is still around somewhere...

hobomaster22 said:

Finding the Chex Quest so many years later was a pain in the ass actually.

I know what ya Mean i got it after i saw the commercial on TV and had to endure 3 boxes of Wheat chex before i was allowed to get rice chex to get the game. now i find it online for way more than one of the Shovel-ware CD's

BlazingPhoenix said:

You're missing Heretic and Hexen. :(

Since i thought this was about just doom i do happen to also have Hexen 1 & 2 Heretic 1 (serpent Riders version & shareware)Quake and its 2 expansions. Quake 2 and its expansions. Did have Q!Zone,After Shock and Tremor for Quake but during my college days had a Roomie who took them and went and lost them trying to get them to work for Quake 3 Alas he failed.

Super Jamie said:

It's stupid how much old Doom shovelware CDs are going for on eBay these days, people have some perception they're worth $60 for some reason. You can buy the actual games cheaper than that![/B]

http://cgi.ebay.com/DOOM-I-II-COLLECTION-ULTRA-RARE-PC-DOS_W0QQitemZ120488978006QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item1c0db3e656

He's asking 60 dollars. I best-offered him a dollar ;D

Also had a question about the Doom Reaper Miniatures:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110453473914&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

I notice people always instantly bid on these the second they hit. I wanted it pretty bad, but not 250 dollars bad. Must be other people other than doomers looking for these things?