Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

What old Console should I get?

With the X-mas season approaching, I've decided that I want to get another old-school console.

I've narrowed the choices down to a 3DO, Atari Jaguar or a Sega Genesis (MegaDrive for you European folk) with a 32X.

The only thing is that I'm not acquainted with that many games for these systems, so advice on good games for any of these systems can be a help as well. :)

On a final note, for what ever console I decide to buy, I am definitely going to get the port of Doom that is available for it. Edit: any insight on the port of Doom that is available for these systems is welcome as well.

So answer away, I may just take your advice... ;)

Jaguar, in my opinion is the better port of the ones you've mentioned. There's also a few other games worth getting on the Jaguar like Aliens Vs Predator, Rayman etc.

I'd go for the Genesis + 32x.

3DO didn't have any games, and any you might actually find are probably going to be either awful and/or extremely expensive (although it appears that there is no lockout in the system itself that prevents using pirated games, so that's an option).

Jaguar suffered a similar fate of the 3DO, lacking any defining games (aside from AVP), and the controller is fucking stupid.

Genesis really is the most logical suggestion. Plenty of games you can find for it, and the controller is only slightly uncomfortable if a little bit shoddy.

Out of what you mentioned, Genesis is the most practical choice, more games and what have you. But for that era I would much rather go for the SNES. If you don't already have an SNES, I have to wonder why you aren't considering it? I'm of the opinion that it had the best games of any system of any time.

Regarding Doom ports: of the systems you listened, I believe the Jaguar has the best port, if memory serves. For console ports in general, PSX is better, and the modern console ports (XBox 360) are actually spot on, 100%, but that's to be expected.

I guess I should say that I already own a SNES (first system I ever owned), Nintendo 64, PSX, and a Sega Saturn for older consoles.

For newer consoles I own a Gamecube and a PS2.

Genesis with 32x. Plenty of games readily available for cheap. Not sure on the 32x titles, but Genesis games are a dime a dozen. There are a host of classic games: Road Rash, Bloodlines, Contra Hard Corps, Vectorman, the Sonic titles.. the list goes on. I personally dig the Genesis controller, although the buttons on mine are getting really shotty :\

I suggest the Sega Genesis with the 32x add on since it has a much better library of games than the other two.

Go with the Sega Genesis. I've had one for over seven years, and I still have fun playing it. The 3DO as said has little games, and the ones that do exist are god awful("Plumbers don't wear ties") The Jaguar is fairly decent, but I've heard it tends to break easily.

Amstrad GX4000, so you can boast having a console that nobody ever even heard about. :p

Gez said:

Amstrad GX4000, so you can boast having a console that nobody ever even heard about. :p

I went to my school and mentioned how I owned a Sega Saturn. Everyone I knew looked at me like I had 5 heads, So I guess I've already accomplished that feat of no one knowing about a system I own. ;)

As for talk on other consoles, it's OK if you recommend them, but I will most likely get one of the consoles mentioned in my first post.

A good quality famiclone. I know "quality" and "famiclone" sounds like an oxymoron, but there are well-made ones with over 50 distinct built-in games, or even cartridges with 50 games (pretty rare though, best I could come across had like 17).

Sega genesis was better than snes imo. Because of (super)street fighter (because the genesis 6 button controller pwns the snes shoulder buttons imo), road rash II, sonics (especially the secret spheres game with knuckles + sonic 1 carts), kid chameleon, rocket knight adventures. I like nes better than snes too probably (only problem is getting the thing working sometimes). But really I just judge by the games, not the systems. People seem to like snes for role playing (genesis has some too like phantasy stars, Sword of Vermilion). I do like snes too though.

I asked a similar question here earlier this year, before I settled on an SNES as well as a Neo Geo.

My recommendation is the Megadrive, I mean, Blaster Master 2 is a good enough reason on its own to get one.

EDIT:

and

Thanks for all of the feedback guys, I'm sort of leaning toward the Genesis, but it will be a little bit before I decide.

@Maes, I'd much rather stick with an original NES if I were to get one. I guess I'd rather play it on an original system than a remake of a system. Call it video game OCD if you want.

Keep the opinions coming, I am a little bit out of the dark now thanks to you guys.

Another vote for Genesis. I considered them a superior console to the SNES in their day. Though I'd probably try get hold of a SegaCD as well.

3DO and Jag would both be pesky to get games for. 3DO didn't seem to have many popular games that weren't available on PC anyway, and just look at that Jaguar controller!

Really cannot stress enough that a Neo Geo will be the best investment of your life

Oh yeah, here are my favorite MegaDrive games:

After Burner II - fun plane shooter, sit-in arcade machine stars in T2 Judgement Day
Blackthorne 32X - aka Blackhawk. legendary platformer with good storyline, superior to SNES port
Castlevania - Bloodlines - i just love castlevania
California Games - no introduction required
Cannon Fodder - not sure if this came out in america? fun cutesy war shooter
Desert Strike Return to the Gulf - i love this series too
OutRun, OutRunners - car driving, multiplayer car driving, cool music :P
Starflight - awesome Elite-like space-trading clone, actually has an aim and plot tho
The Immortal - kinda like Diablo on a retro console, mean hard traps

oh yeah, and Lethal Enforcers IF you can get the light gun

The AVGN has reviewed some wacky consoles and game from time to time, including the ATARI 5200 (which only proved good for storing bottles of beers inside it), the 3DO (with "masterpieces" such as "Plumbers don't wear ties" and the CD-i, with the "classic" Unholy Triforce Zeldas.

So, if you get one of them you can...uhm....drink some nasty beer, wear nerdy shirts and talk about buffalos taking massive diarrhea dumps in your ear, while you shove King Kong up your ass. On th egood side, you get to kick Bugs Bunny's ass and shit on him, and drink a couple of beers with Spiderman. Good shit, bro.

The only bad part about the 32x is it's willingness to comply. You have to fudge around a lot with the metal contact plates before you can get the expansion bay to fit and work properly on the Genesis. But after you get through with that, and your Genesis looks like frankenstein, Doom 32x now awaits you with open arms.

Other games I would suggest getting for it are all of the Sonic games (including the Sonic and Knuckles adapter), and a neat mission-based, space-shooter called Sub-Terrania. Doom 32x (and possibly Star Wars Arcade) is probably the only game worth getting for the 32x.

I have not been keeping up with the thread really, sorry... but if your looking to make a decision on what old console to purchase and have no idea about the variety of games out there, I would suggest looking at this website.(that is if you haven't already)

http://www.vgmuseum.com/

Pft, old consoles. I'd much rather use my Wii with a homebrew SNES emulator and a classic controller than fiddle with old hardware.

You will get the most games worth a look for the Genesis. Don't expect to get that many good games for the 32X.

I can not suggest to buy an Jaguar, as said before, the controller is something like terrible, and there aren't so muxh great games. At least, as mentioned before, there is Alien vs Predator, which can scare the shit out of you, even today. Plus, you can get one of the best conversions of Wolfenstein 3-D for the Jaguar.

The 3DO have a good ammount of great games, but not as many as the Genesis. FPSs are rare, but if you mind buying a 3DO, you should grab Killing Time, this is *******ely a masterpiece. This game was released for the PC too, but it is not as good as the 3DO version.
Wolfenstein 3-D is nearly a 1:1 conversion from the Mac version.
Escape from Monster Manor and PO'ed are more a couriosity.
Other games, which should be mentioned are The Need for Speed, this is the original. This game was developed by EA exclusively for the 3DO back then, and ported it over to other platforms later.
Another cool Game is Road Rash, for me, this version is the best you can get. On a lesser degree, there is Autobahn Tokyo, which is a japan only release. It is not as good as The Need For Speed, but funny enough.

Speaking of the Doom conversiions ...

32X: It is okay, lesser maps, smaller screen, no savegame. But good playability.

Jaguar: 24 maps, better graphics, better sound. Playable, but a bit tricky because of the controller.

3DO: Avoid it. The only thing worth mention is the new arranged Soundtrack. The port is crap. Shitty framerate, even if you have turn down the screen to stampsize. The controls are terrible.

cybdmn said:

32X: It is okay, lesser maps, smaller screen, no savegame. But good playability.

You forgot to mention the shitty FM music. Somehow, even though the sound chip of the Genesis (which is also used by the 32X) isn't all that different from the OPL2 (or from the OPL3 in 4 op mode), surprisingly no care at all went to the timbres, and they ended up using a shitty generic timbre library that doesn't do the Genesis any justice.

As a result, you get SBS (Squarewave Banjo Syndrome) already from E1M1. It sounds like MIDI played through windows' default OPL drivers, at best, incomparable with what could be achieved under DOS.

Re: NeoGeo. Yes. This is an investment. An investment of too much money, but an investment nonetheless. If you want NeoGeo games, perhaps seek the darkside of console gaming. (hint hint vaguearies) NeoGeo games are amazing, truly, but also way too much fucking money.

cybdmn said:

Don't expect to get that many good games for the 32X.

The only good 32x game that I recommend playing is Knuckles' Chaotic.

Going with what seems to be the general consensus and saying get a Genesis. There are some straight-awesome games including all the sonic games (which all have sweet music).

Oh, and get this game too!

Dynamite Headdy is pretty awesome.

Maes said:

You forgot to mention the shitty FM music.

Actually, i like the shitty sound. :D

Philnemba said:

The only good 32x game that I recommend playing is Knuckles' Chaotic.

But it is really expensive, if you get a good copy.