Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
support4u

DOOM 1 E1M8 question

DOOM 1 E1M8 question

In this lvl with the first 2 barons of hell, when u kill them both, the wall ( star shaped ) lowers

how the hell is that done? i can only find the tag on the wall. but not on the enemies?

i wanna know how its done plz :)

It's one of those early indicators that DOOM should have had a scripting language, along with donut line specials and crap like the Boss Brain pointers ;) It's hard-coded both to the map it occurs on, and the type of monster that must die to trigger it.

So basically you wont need scripting in order to lower the floor. Once all barons are dead, any floor tagged with 666 will lower? I must try this..

VoltDriver said:

So basically you wont need scripting in order to lower the floor. Once all barons are dead, any floor tagged with 666 will lower?

as long as the map you are making is for doom 1/ultimate doom, the map name is E1M8, and you havent made a new MAPINFO for the wad, then yes.

Quasar said:

along with donut line specials

What's so bad about the donut? The stairbuilding method is far worse!

Graf Zahl said:

What's so bad about the donut? The stairbuilding method is far worse!

Donut should not work at all because of wrong condition. It's a big luck it works in some (two?) places in doom1.

What's so bad about the stairbuilding method? I can see, they had to trick their own idbsp to handle them by having dummy tags every second step, but that's certainly not the doom engine's fault.
Other than that, I think, they are pretty straight forward and easy to use.
Of course, even without scripts, you can create the same effect with other line specials, but not only would you push the limits of the vanilla engine, you couldn't even do this with idbsp in all cases.

I'm actually curious as to how to implement a script similar on your own to compensate for something such as changing the level's MAPINFO or to change the specific thing (to say, a Spider Mastermind instead of Barons).

LogicDeLuxe said:

What's so bad about the stairbuilding method? I can see, they had to trick their own idbsp to handle them by having dummy tags every second step, but that's certainly not the doom engine's fault.
Other than that, I think, they are pretty straight forward and easy to use.

Nothing, really. But compared to the selection method the donut is harmless.

With DeHackEd, you can change what monsters have the BossDeath codepointer, so the effect can theoretically be used with any monsters, although the same conditions apply. With the KeenDie codepointer, however, you can make a door open on any map after all of a certain monster is killed. Not sure if this is available on Doom/Ultimate Doom though, but it gives you some vanilla-compatible solutions.

EarthQuake said:

With DeHackEd, you can change what monsters have the BossDeath codepointer, so the effect can theoretically be used with any monsters, although the same conditions apply.

Only with the pre-1.9 version of Doom that allowed UAC_DEAD to work. After that was changed, the bossdeath code specifically checked for level numbers and monster types.

ZDoom lets you change that quite easily with MAPINFO, since you can define any level special for a given map, and associate it to any monster you want (though if it doesn't call A_BossDeath when it dies, it's not going to work). Of course, if you use ZDoom, you can as well use ACS... Still, the MAPINFO approach is probably simpler for a newbie.

I suppose that all ports that have externalized map information (Eternity, Doomsday, etc.) have a similar capacity to let you redefine which monster triggers what when they're all dead.

EarthQuake said:

With the KeenDie codepointer, however, you can make a door open on any map after all of a certain monster is killed. Not sure if this is available on Doom/Ultimate Doom though, but it gives you some vanilla-compatible solutions.

As far as I remember, there's no map check, so it should work in an ExMy map as well.

LogicDeLuxe said:

What engine? The ZDoom wiki has some handy examples, like this: http://zdoom.org/wiki/ThingCount

Yeah, ZDoom. I'm trying to get an E1M8 effect (for my E1M8, actually) of a wall to lower when you kill the Spider Mastermind.

I put the following into DB2's script editor:

script 1 OPEN
{
While(ThingCount(T_SPIDERMASTERMIND, 0) > 0)
Delay(35);

Floor_LowerToLowest(666, 20);
}

Saved it, then imported it into SLumpEd (new lump from file). It shows up as an "Unknown" type, so I right clicked and hit Compile ACS only to get this error:

Line 3 in file "\DooM\FINALDOOM\dlde1m8.acs" ...
\DooM\FINALDOOM\dlde1m8.acs:3: t_spidermastermind : Identifier has not been declared.
> While(ThingCount(T_SPIDERMASTERMIND,
> ^
ainedgla'Ø;ÿ’

Which kind of puzzles me, because according to my interpretation, this is a list of thing names, and that's what the name "should" be.

I'd have given it a tid instead of 0, but for some reason DB2 doesn't appear to let you tag things (that or I'm retarded).

Again, I apologize for all my questions, but I don't know the first thing about scripting or implementing them and I haven't been able to find a simple guide for it related to what I want to do from hours of searching various websites.

You seem to have forgotten the mandatory line in your script lump...

#include "zcommon.acs"
Put that at the top of the lump and try compiling again.

That would do it.

After testing it, it appears I did something wrong, be it scripting, implementation, or the map itself.

Here is the file that I'm wrestling with. I'm trying to make the middle pillar (as a dummy until I make the real map) lower when you kill the Spider Mastermind. The script seems to be there in SLumpEd, DB2, etc, and the file loads with no errors, but nothing happens when I off the Spider Mastermind.

[Edit] I actually ended up fixing the problem by deleting the script and editing the MAPINFO to read:

map E1M8 "Nerve Centre"
cluster 1
music D_E1M8
sky1 sky1 0.0
next EndGame1
spidermastermindspecial
specialaction_lowerfloor

And tag the sector I wanted lowered as 666.

I still remain curious as to how I'm supposed to write and implement similar scripts so I (and possibly the author of this topic) won't be restricted from directly ripping off the vanilla Doom scripts as to give more variety.