Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Dynamic Lights don't work in GZDoom

I have them turned on, I'm in OpenGL mode, and on max brightness and size, and I can't see shit even if I'm standing in front of a torch. Help?

What video card are you using, how fast is your computer, how much ram have you got? When does this occur? And screenshots or it didn't happen.

Here's the thing though: Dynamic lights work fine in Beautiful Doom and in Skulltag. So it's not my computer because I know I can run it.

Mr. Freeze said:

blah blah blah

I said:

What video card are you using, how fast is your computer, how much ram have you got? When does this occur? And screenshots or it didn't happen.

-Dell Inspiron 1501
-894 Megs of RAM
-AMD Athlon 64-bit processor, 1.70 GHz
-Only occurs with vanila GZDoom, Beautiful Doom and Skulltag work fine
-Screenshots forthcoming

Graf Zahl said:

Did you load lights.pk3?

Seems to work with that. Funny how it won't automatically load when GZDoom starts. Any way to do that?

Check out the autoload section in the .INI file. It intentionally does not autoload. There's a lot of players out there which don't like using these default light definitions, myself included.

Graf Zahl said:

Check out the autoload section in the .INI file. It intentionally does not autoload. There's a lot of players out there which don't like using these default light definitions, myself included.

Hmm...

Stupid suggestion : How about make a option in GZDoom to active it without change the INI/manual include lights.pk3 when launch GZDoom.

Yeah, I know it's stupid, so if no'ed, I won't surprised. :p

The resource manager cannot load/unload specific WADs at run time. An engine restart is needed.

Although there's an option to disable light definitions this is an all or nothing affair so it'd not only affects the default lights but also all WAD specific custom definitions disabling which may not be desired. So the separate file + autoload entry seems to be the best compromise to me.

Graf Zahl said:

What do I need to type into the /ini file? I type the .wad filename underneath the appropriate PWAD, but it won't load.

[Global.Autoload]
Path=path_to_file\lights.pk3

The instructions in the INI-file should be clear enough. Also check in the console if it actually gets loaded if that doesn't work.

Graf Zahl said:

The resource manager cannot load/unload specific WADs at run time. An engine restart is needed.

So? An option is still useful to people even if it requires a restart.