Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

soundrec.exe

Back in the day, I used to make sound recordings all the time with a basic radio shack mic using the simple sound recording program soundrec.exe on windows 98. Now it's 2009, and people use advanced operating systems like Windows Vista and Windows 7 and usb powered mics. I use Vista and a usb powered mic. Maybe I've become increasingly computer illiterate over the years, but honestly, I no longer am able to do these simple recordings. I can't find a freeware sound rec program! And if I do find one it doesn't work and I can't get my usb mic to record any sound. How is it that Vista doesn't include one? I'm very miffed and mystified. If someone can help me out, I'd like to make sound recordings again.
thanks
:eek:

WHERE'S THE BIG RED RECORD BUTTON? WHY IS THIS SO MUCH TO ASK FOR?? WHY? WHY??? DEAR GOD WHY???? *breaks down sobbing.

two of the programs i've downloaded are not intuitive at all and I can't see what they're designed to do (scripts???) I want to click on the red record button and then I want to click stop. it's a big concept I know, but somehow i think there is a program that does this.

Thanks for replying tho.

Oh, and the second program I downloaded is all froze up and won't let me close it. amazing. Record. Stop. Play. That's all I'm asking for.

I haven't used soundrec.exe in nearly a decade but I still remember how it works.

You had a simple display like an 80's tape deck. Record, Play, Stop, Rewind, Fast Forward, Pause. And then you had some simple menus where you could adjust the sound quality (frequency) and where you could reverse the sound, or speed it up, or slow it down. That's it! Genius! I had so much fun with this program! I made all sorts of great .wav files. *sigh* I'm oldschool, man.

Well you could download Audacity for starters.

Or get a flat tape recorder and a few tapes for fucking around.

Maes said:

Well you could download Audacity for starters.

Or get a flat tape recorder and a few tapes for fucking around.

umm.. audacity.. i remember that program.. way too complicated and advanced. If I use a tape recorder I can't put the sounds into doom now can I? Sorry for being belligerent, I'm just totally baffled that simple recording programs no longer exist.

Hellbent said:

If I use a tape recorder I can't put the sounds into doom now can I?

Strictly speaking, you can, if you record the tape via the line in ;-)

Hellbent said:

umm.. audacity.. i remember that program.. way too complicated and advanced.

You have got to be kidding. Click the red button. talk. Click it again to stop recording. Save as a wav file. Done.

rf` said:

You have got to be kidding. Click the red button. talk. Click it again to stop recording. Save as a wav file. Done.

oh, you're right! good lookin. Thanks!

you might need 'asio4all' whatever that is. (i just remember using it for audacity and modplug tracker).

rf` said:

I think he means getting it to sound not like crap at suuuuper low bit rate lol. To a total beginner, some of the options are a bit advanced.

I vote for Audacity. If you want to do more complicated editing projects, I would suggest investing in Goldwave. It's pretty affordable.

StevieCybernetik said:

I think he means getting it to sound not like crap at suuuuper low bit rate lol.

Because .WAV files are totally a lossy format.

I agree I miss the old quick and easy to use sound recorder. I did a lot of basic sound editing with it. Unfortunately I've had to convert to Audacity.

StevieCybernetik said:

I think he means getting it to sound not like crap at suuuuper low bit rate lol. To a total beginner, some of the options are a bit advanced.

You can change the bitrate by clicking the button 'audio track' and setting the bitrate there.

If you still have a XP computer handy you can copy over the original sound recorder. On Vista it gives me a registry error but it still runs perfectly fine.

InsanityBringer said:

If you still have a XP computer handy you can copy over the original sound recorder. On Vista it gives me a registry error but it still runs perfectly fine.

oh, cool, I might do that. Although I'm kinda getting used to this program. In fact, I have the audacity to upload a .wad I made using it! It replaces the zombie, imp and demon nearby sounds.

http://rapidshare.com/files/305319601/grunt3.WAD.html

exp(x) said:

Technically any quantized signal is lossy.

Unless it's bandwidth-limited and with a finite dynamic range and SNR begin with. In that case it can be perfectly reconstructed from an adequate quantization/sampling of it. That doesn't mean that a perfect reconstruction is actually performed on all possible equipment though.