Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Swec

Problems whit Teleports W1 = WR

Hello.

I am having some big troubles whit some teleports on my map.
I have set up 2 teleports (two-way) i have the action set to 39 = W1 Teleport.

But when i test it in eg GZDoom i can walk like if it the action is set to 97 = WR teleport

Why??

I do the teleport (1) set the section tag (1) linedef tag (2) Action 39 = W1
I do the teleport (2) set the section tag (2) linedef tag (1) Action 39 = W1

Does i do it wrong or what?
It works but i don't wants it to be repeatable.
I am using DB2 Doom 2 setup.

//Martin

Make sure you have the "repeatable" flag unchecked on the linedef you want to be one-use only.

Edit:
And maybe I should read posts properly before answering. Yeah, ignore my answer :)

aaglo said:

Make sure you have the "repeatable" flag unchecked on the linedef you want to be one-use only.

He's not using Hexen format or UDMF.

When you're making a one-way teleport, make sure that the teleport destination sector is not set to teleport back to the initial teleport sector.

for example, you should have one sector (your teleport) with linedefs set to W1 - teleport and tagged to whatever your next unused tag is (for example 1) and the other sector (your desination) tagged 1 (same as the lindef tag on the previous sector). make sure the sector tag is 1 on the destination sector and not the lindef tag.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Ignis Affero: I am doing exactly that way (i have done one-way and two-way's teleport) even my one-way teleport is WR when i have set it To W1.

If i do One-way teleport i Do like this.

The teleport set the section tag (0) linedef tag (1) Action 39 = W1 Teleport
Sction tag 1 linedef (0) and teleport destination of course.

0 is none/no action or tag.

Maybe some bug in my map or so? I have no errors when i locking for weird things but it don't see everything.

I have tinkered a bit and would a jump to Hexen format be better and all i need to do is just set the actions what they will do?

Still it don't solve my problem but maybe better. I don't know if so many use doom 2 format?

I think I see what its doing, sense each linedef is set to W1 - Teleport, that means that each of the linedefs you have with that setting will teleport the player one time. So, technically if all four lines are set to W1 - teleport, the player will be able to use the same teleport four times if they cross a different line each time.

If you use one linedef that should correct the problem, However the player will only be able to use the teleport from one direction.

As for a jump to Hexen format, I would recommend it only because there's a lot more you can do. But it really depends on your needs for the map.

does the problem happen in zdoom or prboomplus. If either, maybe post link to wad to make it easier for me to possibly figure out what's wrong (if I remember to look at this thread again).

Swec said:

I do the teleport (1) set the section tag (1) linedef tag (2) Action 39 = W1
I do the teleport (2) set the section tag (2) linedef tag (1) Action 39 = W1

I am using DB2 Doom 2 setup.

The teleporters behaved themselves in GZDoom and PrBoom+ when I replicated that setup. Could you post the map?

i can enter the teleport more that 4 times and from any linedef so i don't think that is the problem but i can maybe just try whit one linedef if it works.

I don't whats to post the map because i am not done in a long way.

When i come home from work i will test some solutions.

//Martin

Swec said:

I don't whats to post the map because i am not done in a long way.

Copy/paste the troublesome section/s to a new map. If it has the same problem - post that for examination.

I just changed the texture and removed some objects. it behave exactly as i say i can use it more that 1 time.

Just woundering if i just will do one linedef w1 and hope that solve the problem.

http://www.speedyshare.com/847475375.html

EDIT: if i just do one linedef in eatch teleport it works. but maybe work way to solve this problem?

Thanks for the help.

//Martin

This works as expected. Each teleport line can be activated only once which means you can teleport 8 times at most as there are 8 lines.

How do i fix it just to work one time? i would gladly have it passable from any direction. something i do wrong ?

You can draw single lines by themselves (that aren't part of a sector). I guess just put one line in the first warp like this (the 'o' part):

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
x           x
x        o  x
x      o    x
x    o      x
x  o        x
x           x
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

All the x's are just normal lines with no special actions. The o line w1 warps to the sector of the other warp, and the other warp has no actions or extra lines either.

That is kind of a problem though because I think warp lines can only be triggered over their 1st side (the side of the line that has a little spoke on the end), so it'd probably only work if you passed from a certain direction.

What you are experiencing is a limitation of the Doom engine.

You have created four W1 lines for the one teleporter, therefore your teleporter has four entrances. When you enter from one direction, you can't enter from that direction again, but you still have three other W1 lines to cross.

You can come up with a small imperfect hack like gggmork said, or you can change your design around it. Either block off the original telport once the player has entered it, or indent the teleport in a wall (or surround it with some blocking detail like a box) and just have one W1 entrance line.