Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Philnemba

Microsoft bans modded Xbox360s

You mean that if I ILLEGALLY pirate, there might be consequences?

Christ on a pogo stick!

If what the falsely banned couple say is true, than it is a problem. Banning pirates? Not so much, but I'm not sure how Microsoft does it.

No, if you mod your console there might be consequences. That's quite separate from pirating, even if you mod it to make you capable of playing copied games.

Meh. Predictable reaction from suits. At least they're not bricking the consoles.

Snarboo said:

If what the falsely banned couple say is true

Maybe they got a second hand console that's already been modded. Well, bad luck I'd say...

Krispavera said:

They timed it to coincide with the release of MW2? Those evil bastards!

What's the greater evil? The pirates undermining the rules? Or the rules undermining the pirates?

Bucket said:

What's the problem? MS can set whatever rules they want; it's THEIR service.

As shitty as it is, this is the truth. Good thing I've never owned an XBox or 360 and I'll never have to worry about this. :D

This is why I don't mess with modding my consoles, two reasons:

1) It voids the warranty.
2) You cannot get it fixed if something happens to it from the console manufacturer.

Wait, am I supposed to care? I really can't feel sorry for any of the people in the article, especially Raz. While I do feel kind of sorry for the guy who was allegedly banned on accident, I can see why Microsoft refused to listen. I wouldn't be surprised if they've gotten hundreds of calls from people who were banned claiming that it was their brother, sister, girlfriend, etc. who play their console most of the time and probably modded it or did something while they weren't around and shit like that.

The AVGN would surely officially state that a console that can be "banned" is a just like licking a bunch of anal shit coming out of a roadkill's skunk asshole stuck in a buffalo's asshole while King Kong is shoved up his ass and that it's generally a motherfucking cluster of goddamn diarrhea bullfuck fucking horse coow mule goat pig camel and reindeer fucking shitcock.

To be quite honest, I'm a bit surprised at how light the reaction to this has been overall (other than to mutually note its scale, of course). Anyone else noticing this?

Sure it doesn't have the same potential for backlash as if they decided to e.g. deactivate all pirated copies of XP and Vista overnight, which would affect millions of people all over the world. In comparison, this strikes a niche market, which is also more geographically confined.

Mr. Freeze said:

You mean that if I ILLEGALLY pirate, there might be consequences?

There's nothing illegal about modifying your own property.

In the UK at least; here in the United States there's this nasty Digital Millenium Copyright Act... it very much makes it illegal.

fraggle said:

I'm sure there's some non-reverse engineering and non-tempering clause in fine print in there somewhere, as well as one that limits your propery rights for what regards the "intellectual property". In other words, the usual "you're actually a licensee, not an owner" charade. Not the first time they tried pulling it on hardware, either.

fraggle said:

Downloading a ripped file off of the internet makes it your property? Even when you don't own the original file in question?

Ok.

Mr. Freeze said:

Downloading a ripped file off of the internet makes it your property? Even when you don't own the original file in question?

Ok.

That's not what he is saying at all. He is talking about modifying something that you bought legally.

caco_killer said:

That's not what he is saying at all. He is talking about modifying something that you bought legally.

That's generally not what piracy is.

Mr. Freeze said:

That's generally not what piracy is.

This thread isnt about piracy, its about modifying an xbox 360.

I posted my sentiments in the Carmack no dedicated servers thread. Which is more or less "LOL."

It's a good business move, as most of the banned will go out and buy another console.

david_a said:

Is there any use for a modded XBox 360 other than pirated games? Honest question.

Yes. Using homemade content for example. You can't mod XBox games without modding the console itself.

You're forgetting about the license agreement made between you and Microsoft where you agree to not fuck with the console.

david_a said:

Is there any use for a modded XBox 360 other than pirated games? Honest question.

My xbox 360 is a dedicated linux server.