Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

DOOM and windows 7 [ZDoom]

my last laptop crapped out on my so i got a new one. It has windows 7 on it. i try running ZDOOM with a WAD I'm working on and at a certain point when a line is triggered the screen starts wigging out on me. it starts goes back to my desktop, sorta, and flashes strobelight style. i'm unable to do anything except restart the laptop. when i do everything is freaking sideways and i have to set the screen back to the normal mode. rearranging the screen's ok, but not being able to run the WAD's a serious bummer. anyone been able to run ZDOOM in Windows 7 without problems?

NT

I've been running Vista Ultimate x64 for years and never had any problems. Windows 7 isn't much different. I planned on upgrading to Windows 7 this weekend if I have time. I can't see any reason of why it would give you problems. I'll let you know how it goes.

well what sort of info would you like? here's the jest of it. on my old computer the wad worked fine. when i try to run it on this one it works until i reach a certain point when a few triggers happen in close succession. then i get exited out (though I think DOOM is still running), the desktop gets turned sideways, and flashes strobing black. the computer is basically unresponsive at this point and I have to restart it. then i have to set my screen back right-side up.

Try changing the compatibility mode setting by right-clicking the zdoom.exe and going to compatbility. Try XP Service pack 2 and go from there.

If that doesn't work, try setting the screen resolution to windowed mode and see what happens.

Are you sure your videocard drivers are installed right and up-to-date?

yaknow I'm going to go with another solution and give the laptop back. basic functions on the thing like wireless and opening programs have not been functioning. I'm not particularly impressed with my new gateway laptop.

I've been able to run GZDoom, ZDoom, Chocolate, Eternity and (gl)prBoom+

What GFX card do you have?

I think the thread title should be changed since it's about "ZDoom" on Windows 7, not "Doom".

New updates on my buggines -

When doom craps out on me it doesn't stop the game. i can still hear my poor space marine getting shot. but the screen is a strobe-light flashing the desktop, sideways. sometimes i can hit escape, down, enter to exit, and sometimes the controls are non-responsive.

I tried just running doom normally without a wad loaded and it did the same thing to me halfway through e1m1. so it's not the WAD. i wonder if it's Norton or something that tries to pop a warning box up about something and gets stuck half-way. i dunno, just a guess. anyone ever had anything close to this happen?

Thx,

NT

Disable Anti-Virus programs, run as an administrator and put it in Windows XP compatibility mode?

Anti-virus programs are frequently a culprit for pulling people out of fullscreen programs, so it's a good tree to bark up at least. AVG just recently developed such a problem in one of its recent updates.

Quasar said:

Anti-virus programs are frequently a culprit for pulling people out of fullscreen programs, so it's a good tree to bark up at least. AVG just recently developed such a problem in one of its recent updates.

it's so bad it can put NVIDIA cards into infinite loops. Which BLUESCREENS. Wonderfun!

well i made the discovery that if i don't have zdoom in full screen mode while playing the computer does not become unresponsive once the error occurs. all that happens is the entire screen (desktop) rotates 90 degrees, from landscape to portrait. then if i keep playing it does it again a few seconds later. and on and on if i keep allowing it to go.

i uninstalled norton and anything else i could and it didn't help. any other ideas?

NT

Windows 7 should not be the problem. ZDoom should not be the problem. Try running ZDoom with this command line switch:

+set vid_forceddraw true
Otherwise if that doesn't work, go report the bug at the ZDoom Forums.

Also, your latest issue sounds like perhaps a hotkey got enabled in your video card driver settings - check those out perhaps.

ha-ha!!! ctrl+alt+up flips the screen over! ctrl+alt+left turns it left! but of course!! thanks for the hotkey idea! but now i can't figure out how to turn it off!!

Well, I'm assuming it's somewhere in your driver settings, but without knowing what kind of video card and what version of drivers you have, I can't be of any further assistance.

I just got a new Windows 7 Professional computer and the same thing happens to me. Only just started installing and playing today. I notice it happens when I go to fire and strafe at the same time. It becomes a major pain-in-the-ass to get out of it again. :(

DOH!!! Just had to turn hotkeys off and problem solved.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/how-do-i-turn-off-hotkeys/dce2db93-bb8c-43fc-88b3-334f522cacdc

Sorry for bringing and old thread back up. Just a little more searching and I would've found it sooner, but NOOOOOOO!!!!!.... That would've been TOO EASY!!!... too LOGICAL!!... too... DOABLE!!!!....

LOL :P