Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Grievances Thread

Okay, so sort of in the spirit of Maes' nothing works thread. This is the place where you post all the things that don't work as they should in your life. This can include everything from computers and the software that runs on them, to the drip on your kitchen sink that won't cease, to the piercing noise that your speakers make at any decent volume level. Anything in your life that isn't quite as you want it to be, whether it's in fact not working properly, completely broke, or just not quite how you want it.

This is NOT a thread to talk about people or even pets. So nothing about yourself, your fear of bats, the annoyance of your girlfriend snoring or the fact that she leaves the toilet seat up. You can't talk about your roommate's petty grievances, or the fact he's a controlling prick. You can talk about how your cell phone never keeps a clear signal for more than 2 minutes, but not about what the stupid drama the person on the other end of the line is drumming up. Kapisce?

1. My subwoofer "coughs" all the time. I dunno why, but it's really annoying.

2. My car speakers hurt my ears at a medium-high volume (the same way that girl with the annoyingly pitched voice hurts my ears)

3. My printer is always telling me there is no ink and won't print, even though the ink cartridges are just fine (aftermarket ink cartriges)

4. I can't get a decent picture viewer file. Microsoft Picture Viewer is the only conveniently functioning one but it tints the images! (!?!)

5. My apartment is too small and I'm always knocking things off my desk or the kitchen counters as a result.

6. Big Y silver coins are too big to carry around so I never end up getting to use them, which is a damn shame.

01.] My bedroom is too small for all of the crap I own.

02.] My cellphone charger makes a light humming sound when it's done charging, like the energy has nowhere to go and is just hanging out in the charger. It's a rather annoying sound.

03.] The mattress on my bed has holes in it with springs stabbing up through them.

04.]The sound card on my laptop is shit, which makes it impossible to record anything without a horrible noisiness that occurs when things get too loud or the frequencies drop below a certain point.

My laptop hard drive is gonna crap out any time I know it, and every time the computer shuts down due to a B.A.D. status it restarts with no sound so I have to start it again.
My external HD never works right when I need it to.
I have 28 days left to activate Windows XP Media Center Edition even though i've done it countless times on this machine and there's no reason I should have to now, except now I don't have the activation code.
Everything around here is Mac.
My touchpad gets in the way when I type and every time my computer goes to sleep I have to turn it off again.
I can never find pants that fit, and the only pants I have that fit must be made of some lint-attracting material developed in the Soviet Union in 1964 because even running my hand across them leaves a mark.
I am a small person and I apparently live in a fatass country but why is that whenever I go to the store to buy clothing all of the S sized clothes have already been bought and I stand there staring a rack of XXL tarps.
Eggs are fine on their own and need no milk added to them but everywhere I go I get god damn eggs with milk in them.
I live in a room where nothing works right, a veritable junkyard no part of which got there due to my own devices.

That's most of the stuff I can think of without directly bringing in my room-mate or other people.

My ISP is inconsistently fast - it'll run blazingly fast for a while, then drop down to almost dial-up-esque levels of response time.

I never get a good share ratio on private BitTorrent trackers, because the second I'm done downloading a given file, everybody stops their torrent and I can't seed to anyone.

I can't listen to MP3 music and burn DVDs at the same time, because for reasons unknown, even a lightweight player like Foobar2000 will randomly pause for several seconds at a time during the burn.

Google Talk does not make sounds for receiving messages if the chat window is the active window. So if I'm looking the other way, or cleaning my room or something, I will never, ever hear when people are trying to talk to me.

You can't skip cutscenes in pretty much any Japanese RPG made prior to 2004. This is utterly inexcusable, especially for really, really hard games like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, where you're guaranteed to see the same cutscene hundreds of times because you keep dying at the boss that immediately follows it.

You also can't skip the introduction in Borderlands when creating a new character. Thankfully you can delete/rename the intro video, but you'll still have to listen to Claptrap tell you how to freaking do everything (even if it's on Playthrough 2 and beyond!).

My stove doesn't stay consistent at any temperature, if you set it to 350, by the time the food is done cooking, it's at 500.

My Firestudio Project uninstalls itself on the most inconvenient of times inexplicably. It also doesn't work with any version of Sonar past 6.

The touchpad on my laptop misfires quite often. In this post alone, I've looked up to find I was typing in the address bar and had to start over.

I can run Company of Heros at descent settings without slowdowns, but Skulltag/GZDoom run at a crawl in Open GL modes.

I've managed to blow up two power supplies for my tattoo machines this year, the back-up I bought three years ago for $4O still works and doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon.

I bought a refurb NES, it still takes 5-6 tries to get the game working.

you should be able to adjust the sensitivity of your touchpad. Making it less sensitive to touch solved that problem for me (I was ready to throw the thing out the window)

Hellbent said:
1. My subwoofer "coughs" all the time. I dunno why, but it's really annoying.

2. My car speakers hurt my ears at a medium-high volume (the same way that girl with the annoyingly pitched voice hurts my ears)

3. My printer is always telling me there is no ink and won't print, even though the ink cartridges are just fine (aftermarket ink cartriges)

4. I can't get a decent picture viewer file. Microsoft Picture Viewer is the only conveniently functioning one but it tints the images! (!?!)

5. My apartment is too small and I'm always knocking things off my desk or the kitchen counters as a result.

6. Big Y silver coins are too big to carry around so I never end up getting to use them, which is a damn shame.

You forgot
7. My avatar randomizer is on the fritz.

Out of my own idiocy someone stole my laptop charger. The replacement one I got isn't recognized by my laptop and thereby does not charge the battery, which is at zero. A few days ago it worked for a whole day. After being ecstatic for that whole day, I booted it up the next day to find it had stopped working again.

Joy.

Bank said:

I have 28 days left to activate Windows XP Media Center Edition even though i've done it countless times on this machine and there's no reason I should have to now, except now I don't have the activation code.

Activation code? I'm not sure what you're talking about there, as all I remember needing is the product key and I think it just has to be entered while the OS is being installed. Anyways, you can find the product key of your current XP installation by running this:

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Despite being 10 years old and numerous advancements in computer technology, Daikatana still runs like crap. The game is crap, too, but I play bad games in the same way people watch bad movies. :p

I've been frustrated with gaming lately. The industry acts like every big FPS or action game is mana from heaven *cough*Modern Warfare 2*cough* when it's the same fucking game as 5 years ago. Even good releases such as Borderlands have problems, either with sloppy PC ports, bugs, annoying oversights (see Weasel's point about the intro) or the glut of DLC that doesn't really fix the game or make it more fun to play. It's been this way forever but I'm still sick of it.

I set up a profile on my Xbox 360 for a friend so we could play Gears of War 2 co-op campaign. Somehow, it designated itself as the primary profile, which I didn't realize until after I played about 6 hours into Escape from Butcher Bay UNDER THE WRONG MOTHERFUCKING PROFILE. I'm not really concerned with the achievements, but you can't transfer savegames from one profile to another.

Damn it.

Here's something that grinds my gears about Bethesda patch releases, they don't make an extensive listing of what they fixed/added/patched up from the previous version! Valve does it, why the fuck not you Bethesda?

The same goes for the community being relied on for fixing problems in games. Bethesda is guilty of this for both Oblivion, Fallout 3 and the addons/DLCs for them. This is inexcusable and a lack of extensive playtesting/quality control for the hundreds of things people have found (major and minor) with the games and thus the "Unofficial [game] Patch" series is born.

Mic spammers, what's the point? Not the constant normal talking but the assholes who have to play music or sound clips to piss people off.

Bobby Kotick. I hope somebody punches him in the balls.

Any game developer that nerfs shotguns to the range of a thumbtack because of "game balance". Fuck off, you out-of-touch asshole.

Anyone that mistakes a AKS for a AK47 and then claims to be a gun expert.

Airsofters. Join the real Army and stop disrespecting actual soldiers.

Any band that quantizes their kick drums into a "click". Well aren't you a fucking special ray of sunshine?

Anyone who likes black metal. Fuck off. No I'm not going to capitalize it, either.

Any woman online who feels the need to remind everyone that she is a woman. Yes, we know you have a vagina. No, I'm not going to give you my gun. Wait, why am I being kicked? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Anarchists. You want Anarchy? Move to Somalia and stop shitting up my political discussion.

Hippies. Get the fuck out my way when I'm driving to the shooting range or I WILL run you over. And take a fucking shower!

The keyboard tray on my desk doesn't slide out far enough and I can't hit the function keys. Design failure much?

My mobile/cell phone is useless at times. Sometimes it takes about 3 hours for someone to recieve a text from me. Other times when people phone, they can't hear me, but I can hear them clear as a bell and it's definitely not on mute/silent/speakerphone or whatever. And I can only save about 10 numbers to the SIM before it starts to overwrite the old ones without telling me.

Companies never call back to let you know you've been declined an interview. But then I suppose that's because unemployment is so high and every vacancy gets about 3000 applicants and you never had a chance of getting it to begin with (or is this a "people" one that's not suitable for inclusion?).

Mr. Freeze said:

What? You mean people who play with airsoft guns? In that case, quit disrespecting soldiers by shooting monsters in Doom, instead of killing real people.

Firefox won't update my Facebook status unless I'm doing it from my profile page.

The scope on my rifle won't adjust upwards enough, so I have to aim for the upper-quarter of the crosshair.

I think the battery on my GBA SP is loose, which is causing the charge light to go from green to red and back again.

Mr. Freeze said:

I hate you.

Mr. Freeze said:

Anyone who likes black metal. Fuck off. No I'm not going to capitalize it, either.

I hate you even more.

DuckReconMajor said:

What? You mean people who play with airsoft guns? In that case, quit disrespecting soldiers by shooting monsters in Doom, instead of killing real people.

People who play indoors or casually I have no problem with. It's the guys who go around in ACUs and MARPAT spouting terminology and wearing patches they have not earned the right to wear that piss me off.

Mr. Chris said:

I hate you even more.

Enjoy your fashion show disguised as a scene. Furthermore, enjoy your one-note riffing and terrible "KVLT" production.

Bashe said:

Man Mr. Freeze is so hardcore, I wouldn't mess with him!!!

I am the greatest poster on this website. Anyone who disagrees is obviously wrong and a Communist.

@Mr. Freeze: I'm a casual airsofter, mind you. Also, I'll not get into the argument about black metal because it will be like taking to a brick wall. I do listen to black metal but my entire playlist does not consist of it.

Anyhow..

Copyright protection, why put all this effort into protection schemes that not only hinder legitimate customers of video games and music but is usually broken within days or weeks?

My headphone jack doesn't work anymore. I don't mean no sound comes out, I mean I can't plug any headphones. I don't know why. They just don't go in. And it's not like anything broke off my headphones and got stuck in there. They're still in tact. It is a mystery.

Pretty much nothing in my car works, most notably my CD player, which only autoplays and stops. It's like a digital 8-track player.

I wish I lived in a place by myself. Living with my dad now, and my last roommate kind of sucked. I just wish I could arrange everything the way I liked and could have fun cooking without anyone walking in and asking "what the hell are you doing?"

Mr. Freeze said:

Stuff.

Hey, dick-ass, no people.

Also, I'm a hippie and I feel dirty if I don't shower every 18 hours or so.

One of the headphone jack's spring connectors has probably worked loose.

My grievances...

Mr Freeze - for not reading the OP. :P

Wireless networking hardware. Why does every manufacturer take it upon themselves to re-invent the wheel - breaking compatibilty with the competition is NOT a selling point! Why did Belkin decide to dumb-down their routers so they can only be configured from a Windows PC using a special setup CD? Why don't they quit dicking around with aesthetics and design router cases with decent flow-through ventilation? Why do so few routers have antenna sockets? </rant>

My HP Pavilion dv9000 is dying.
It appears to boot up fine, and you get the welcome and ready music cues (sometimes over each other), but at this point, it's useless for 5 minutes, until it's done doing whatever it's doing.
I have no virii, no mal or adware, and when it gets bad, a disk cleanup and defrag (command prompt version) will help a little, but not clear things up. I even removed programs from the startup cue, still, no change.

After the 5 minutes, it runs great. Sometimes, the HDD goes nuts, and videos stutter, skip frames, or freezes up altogehter. After a few minutes, all is fine again. (That might just be lack of memory, but a pain nevertheless.)

-My fucking piece of shit 1995 Pontiac. In the course of three weeks, the brake line has ruptured, the fuse for my HUD and tailights have blown, two coils have gone under, and a module broke.

Cost me $400 this past month alone.

Danarchy said:

Hey, dick-ass, no people.

Also, I'm a hippie and I feel dirty if I don't shower every 18 hours or so.

I AM TOO GOOD FOR RULES