Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

PC Gaming is officially dead

Hahaha, Activision. Well, PC gaming isn't ever going to die as long as more than one game company exist. Or any independent programmers.

The thing I don't understand is why no one else is raising questions about this.

There are no updates being planned or anything that would actually mandate these things. You are literally PAYING FOR THE SAME THING TWICE.

This is my view: There's nothing to worry about. Just because Activision says it doesn't make it so. They're just one company. One company that is quickly falling into mediocrity and repetition. We live in an age where websites can stream DVD quality videos to visitors and not be crippled by bandwidth costs. This is proof enough that the free-use online gaming model is going to become more feasible, not less. Even if several developers do choose to embrace the pay-for-use online gaming model, they'll simply be contributing to a market vacuum in the free-use domain.

For a lot of games I wouldn't mind paying a little to play them as long as I wouldn't need to pay for buying the game too: Most games out there are worth playing only for a few hours, so I'd actually be spending a lot less.

Of course, that's not what they're having in mind, so fuck them.

To take it to the utmost extreme, as long as there is one PC user playing a game on a a real PC (or an emulator) PC gaming is not dead.

Seriously, who said that "gaming" = "major companies wellbeing" and when?

I don't think that PC gaming is dead, or anything close to it. Companies like Ironclad, for instance, seem more than happy to support free online play.

I'm going to try and look ahead for ten years. I see that some (not all) gamers get fed up with greedy pricks like Activision, and go for games that don't actually try to milk them for every last penny.

This leads to the question of where these gamers will turn to. I actually think that most people will just start making/modding their own games. The obvious example of Doom aside, it's becoming pretty apparent to me that people are going to have DIY games. At my school, at least, a lot of people are talking about doing their own programming, graphics, etc, then getting into nice talks about what's bad about games these days. This makes me pretty optimistic.

Did Steam rape everyone's dog during launch? I'm going to make all purchases on it from now on I think...

Activision is the new EA so there's not much to worry about there. Getting people to make monthly payments has been an utter and catastrophic failure, with 2 or 3 MMOs being exceptions to the rule that by virtue of having made it invariable diminish the chances for newer attempts. Casual gaming with micropayments is a far better economic model to tackle, and it doesn't impact our hobby in any harmful way.

Enjay said:

Not for me. Not since Steam. :P

Pretty much this.

Zaldron said:

Did Steam rape everyone's dog during launch?

Not just everyone's dog from what I heard. It also raped the dog's mother, the owner of both dogs, the employer of the person who owns those dogs, and the employer's cousin's daughter's uncle's cat.

Absurdness aside, I understand why others like Steam despite my own dislike for it and having no need for it.

Care to share details? I actually think Steam could be improved tenfold with a few minor features, and I find the app/UI clunky, slow, thread-interlocking and generally devoid of much needed configuration and customization options.

But the idea of digital delivery, now this is something I can admire.

I don't plan on playing doom regularly on anything other than the PC.

If they do this, it will likely be set up like Xbox live, where you can have a free or pay account. Of course the free account will likely be next to useless .. :/

All I see here is Activision digging it's own grave, PC gaming will not only survive but thrive in their absense.

The last Activision game that I clearly remember having the Activision logo in it is River Raid.

Talking shit about steam is SO 2004. If you haven't used it don't knock it. Yes, it was shit when it came out due to low bandwidth availability, but things change. Sure, it could probably use some improvements, but it is quite possibly the best method of acquiring games legally these days, especially with the awesome sales they have all the time. You can usually get brand new games for pennies on the dollar during big patches for them.

GOG is probably a close second, for classics at least. Their library is ever growing.

It's not PC gaming that is dead, it's mainstream gaming in general. Console development has utterly destroyed creativity as far as I'm concerned. I'm not enough of a curmudgeon to claim that there are no good games being released anymore, but I have to dig deep to find games I enjoy. Most of the time they're games off the beaten path or smaller indie titles.

Even modding might go the way of the dinosaur as hardly any games allow for mod development, but I'm thankful it's still a thriving community.

PC Gaming is not dead, Activision has just become EA. While I admit it may be a trend to dumb down PC games, you can start to be really worried when you can't use the console and/or there are no dedicated servers for a Valve game. But barring that, PC gaming is in good shape. Hardly any of the attention to PC gaming comes from the mainstream developer, but the community keeps it alive plenty well with insisting upon modding.

We are humans. It is in our nature to modify. Modding will never die.

Yawn!

Why even bother?

I haven't bought a game in 8 years because the user-made content for Doom and other older games is more than enough to keep me occupied.

Mr. Chris said:

I see hypocrites in that group that are playing the very same game they are supposed to boycott!

Point is. People may bitch, but they'll still buy them.

Take me for instance. I have complained like a bitch about the horrible game play decisions id is doing with Rage. But I will still probably buy it. (Though I didn't buy Wolfenstein, so who knows)